Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: copper vs clowns  (Read 6394 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
copper vs clowns
« on: July 12, 2011, 06:00:08 pm »

The amount of candy I can safely get is limited, and the only other ore I have on my map is tetrahedrite. How well would copper edge weapons perform against the clowns? At the moment, I'm focusing mostly on blunt weapons because the goblins are wearing iron.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: copper vs clowns
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 06:05:21 pm »

Since clowns are unarmored, wouldn't it be good against at least the dust and flesh ones, but useless on anything made of rock or mineral?
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 06:38:07 pm »

Copper caskets will serve you well...

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 06:39:05 pm »

You're better off making bolts and crossbows. This also helps against the deadly dust creatures.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 06:41:31 pm »

Now thinking about it, copper or better sounds like it'll actually do something against them, rather. While it is a low grade metal, you're not going up against any really higher grade materials, unless you get a clown made out of bronze, iron, diamond, or clownite, really. So yeah, ranged is better because it'll keep your soldiers marginally safer in their underarmored state.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 07:16:08 pm »

With unarmored stuff it's not the material but who's wearing and wielding it.  Still no chance of making bronze?  Copper always seemed undependable to me
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 07:37:47 pm »

i cant recall one time i have been forced to use copper
try using silver warhammers since you almost always have silver when u also have copper

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 08:06:46 pm »

The only ores I have on the map are tetrahedrite and cotton candy. Everything else comes in limited quantities from goblins and traders.

Come to think of it, how well would copper armor fare against the average clown? Because I've been mass producing it.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 08:54:35 pm »

Expand your farms and make piles and piles of syrup roasts, so you get bigger iron deliveries from the goblins. You might also want to try slaughtering human caravans until they send large deliveries of iron, too. And slaughter elves just because.

Imakuni

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Dance Floor!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 09:01:06 pm »

And slaughter elves just because.
I think that's a given.
Urist McImmigrant: "What?! Hey! What's going onnn---aaaaRRRGGHH!!"
Urist McSurgeon: "Must remove the rot, yes.  This one is unclean, ssssss.  Purity of essence, yesss."
Urist McImmigrant: "Whhaa---aaaARRGHH OW!  MY PANCREAS!  AAAAGGHH!! THAT'S MY - NOOOOO---AAARRGHGHHH!!!"
Urist McImmigrant has suffocated.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 11:23:04 pm »

Lagslayer, you do get some silver from smelting tetrahedrite. Copper bolts and silver maces/warhammers
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

timotheus

• Bay Watcher
  • New to Dwarf Fortress.. Long time ASCII gamer..
    • View Profile
    • Home
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 10:57:31 am »

I am absolutely terrified that my Fortress might get invaded by clowns.
twitter: @timotheus
email: tim@hithlonde.com
xmpp: tim@hithlonde.com

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 11:30:07 am »

I strongly advise you not to melt down goblin weapons and armour; you only get a third of the metal back and it's much, much better to have everybody armed with something, however poor-quality it might be. And shield material doesn't seem to have an affect when it comes to blocking or parrying, so you can save some metal and dwarf-hours by having your carpenters churn out wooden shields while your smiths concentrate on weapons and armour.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 12:03:33 pm »

I strongly advise you not to melt down goblin weapons and armour; you only get a third of the metal back and it's much, much better to have everybody armed with something, however poor-quality it might be. And shield material doesn't seem to have an affect when it comes to blocking or parrying, so you can save some metal and dwarf-hours by having your carpenters churn out wooden shields while your smiths concentrate on weapons and armour.
Sheilds more mainly count as armor whenever an attack get's through their respected body parts. Basically, think arm and hand armor.
If you lack gauntlets, it's best to makes higher level sheilds to protect their sheild hand. If you DO have gauntlets, then go ahead and make lower level.
Take note though, however, that if you lack metal for gauntlets, it'll be slightly better for your dwarves to have better shields. Also take note that a lot of clowns breath fire. Wood sets on fire. Dwarves ignore fire and burn up.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2011, 12:13:10 pm »

How do you figure a third?  The current reactions only use 1 bar per piece, despite the fact they are not supposed to.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves
Pages: [1] 2 3