Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: So what do plump helmets taste like?  (Read 3619 times)

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
So what do plump helmets taste like?
« on: July 12, 2011, 07:19:57 am »

Are they crunchy? Chewy? Sweet? Salty?

I'd imagine them tasting like normal mushrooms, but considering how they can also be cooked, eaten raw, or brewed, how will they taste when prepared in their respective forms?

Doomchild-

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So what do plump helmets taste like?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 07:22:53 am »

I suspect they are moist yet slightly crunchy with a mildly bitter taste when eaten raw.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 07:23:36 am »

Mmm... now that sounds like a nice little snack to munch on.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 07:23:46 am »

Since they are nutricious, I'm going to have to go with:

- Somewhat sinewy, since they have protein
- They can be used for alchol, that means they have to be somewhat sweet right

So basically sweet, sweet beef jerky
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 07:24:41 am »

I imagine raw plump helmet being quite bland, but bearable. Sort of like generic food paste. The wine brewed from them is probably quite mild, perhaps a bit bicker. Cooked, I imagine they taste a bit like tofu. Mostly they're used as a filler ingredient for added nutrition (of course, this isn't always the case...)
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 07:52:15 am »

Well, seeing as wine is made from the sugar in fruits (and plump helmets are made into dwarven wine), then I'm guessing they are some kind of fruit-like mushroom.  That being said, they're most likely sweet, while still being.. mushroomy. 

Personally, I'm more interested in Sweet Pods.. I mean, those are made into sugar, syrup, AND rum.  How awesome is that? 

P.S. They need a type of dwarven Onion.
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 07:55:07 am »

If they can be fermented then they are sweet. Since you don't need to add sugar to them it could be assumed that they are very sweet indeed as one shroom contains enough sugar to produce a full barrel of wine (which should be reasonably alcoholic, particularly since dwarves like it). Although that's considering relative sizes in a game where a dwarf can dig a tunnel that a dragon can comfortably fit into. If they taste anything like normal raw mushrooms then they're absolutely terrible.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 08:03:28 am »

I tend to imagine them as sickly sweet.  That sort of cheaply sweetened food that makes you cringe a little at how overbearingly and distastefully sweet it is.  Sorta like if you accidentally use double the sugar when making sweet tea.  You want to like it, but it's just a bit too strong.  Perhaps a bit of that biting citrus flavor as well.  A very sweet lemon?

Sweet pods, by comparison, are not as sweet, but more flavorful, tasting more of honey or nectar, with an earthy tone.

Brewed pig tails are more like a strong ale.

EllisMaestr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 08:16:08 am »

I imagine them as mushroom-potato crosses--they taste like potatoes, but have the same texture as mushrooms. Yum.
They'd be better cooked, though--after all, look how much the traders will pay for them!

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 08:20:00 am »

Well if they were closer to potatoes, wouldn't that make vodka, not wine?  I'd have to agree a tad more with Girlinhat's description of them.. but I'unno about them being SICKLY sweet.. I mean if they were that bad, I doubt they'd be the #1 crop of the dwarves.  Though, thinking of the dwarves, they aren't that bright, so it might be the case. 
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 08:27:07 am »

Vodka is distilled, wine is fermented so not really no. If they made Dwarven Brandy then yes potato like shrooms would probably make vodka using the same process.

On that note, you can make wine from just about anything. I think this should be implemented so I can sell Elves back their previous caravan guards in alcohol form.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 08:31:47 am »

Plump helmets aren't the favorite food of dwarves, they're just the easiest food.  Beef isn't the most delicious meat humans can harvest, it's just that horses run too faster than cattle.

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 08:33:43 am »

I like to imagine them being a kind of sweet shiitake mushroom.. sweet and savoury at the same time. There has to be a reason dwarves can stomach eating them so often.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 08:40:35 am »

In my imagination they have this shape:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phallaceae

and the color/texture of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fistulina_hepatica

Basically a big purple phallus with a sour taste and raw-meat texture that "bleeds" when you bite into it!

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 08:45:35 am »

I have always considered them to be a bitter variant of the typical mushroom-only much larger, and lilac in color.
Pages: [1] 2 3