Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My first Dwarfy Mega Project  (Read 1046 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
My first Dwarfy Mega Project
« on: July 12, 2011, 03:52:26 am »

I'm doing something that no-one else seems to have done (as far as I've been able to tell).  I'm flooding a Cavern.  With Magma.

It's close to done too, in terms of preparations, for those that want a look (Cavern's a bit big to go round getting screenshots).  F5 will take you down to the cavern in question.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4658

Update - Newer version that's closer to finished.  Pump stack won't work as I'm in the middle of building another water reactor to power it.

When it's all done, I'll try to stick notes on all the levers to mark what's what.  The reservoir controls have gotten a little Dwarftastically complex for all the outlets and sub-stations.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4659

The walls are mostly done, save for one that I cant get at the base off till i clear the water out with magma

It. Is. READY!

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4663

Saved game will start you looking at the levers you need to pull to release the Fun (top lever's the north floodgate, bottom one's the east). Fortress tunnels are safe from the magma (Edit: Whoopsy.  There's a tunnel just to the NE of the splatter point of the east outlet.  Seal it with a door or wall, or everyone in the lowest area of the fortress is going to have a rather warm bath) and there's a lever a few levels down above the reactor and by a gearbox if you need to stop the pump stack.

Oh, and there's an FB resting in that cavern lake the south side under the water.  He hasn't moved, so good luck if you can encase the bugger in Obisidion.

I'm gonna keep at it and make a little biosphere for some lucky dwarves...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 07:15:37 am by ThatAussieGuy »

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
Re: My first Dwarfy Mega Project
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 04:04:59 am »

now you see i always wanted to do this, but figured the magma would just flow off to the side. and my fortresses all fall to either tantrum spirals, forgotten beasts or cats before i can assemble all the magma safe products to move it all up to cavern (or fortress, since sometimes i just want to pour magma into my fort) height, and before i figure out how i'm going to get enough power... i wish you luck.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 04:20:38 am »

Indeed it would flow out the sides. That's what the "preparations" are.  My masons have been working for years to wall up every cavern exit with Gabbro.

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 09:47:38 am »

bonus points if you build a tower with open sides and a central column of elves in cages  from bottom to top before you fill it....

sadly my connections being a swine at the moment , what kinda volume are we talking here? what kind of natives ?
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 10:23:18 am »

I'm doing something that no-one else seems to have done (as far as I've been able to tell).  I'm flooding a Cavern.  With Magma.

It's close to done too, in terms of preparations, for those that want a look (Cavern's a bit big to go round getting screenshots).  F5 will take you down to the cavern in question.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4658

Aaand almost ready.  Down to two walls to close up now.  If the random riff-raff would stop spawning atop them, it'd go a lot more smoothly.  At least the militia get something to practice on.
I actually was planning something like this after I had finished the other parts of this fortress. I was thinking of obsidianizing the entire map belowground, from top to bottom, and engraving it. Or alternatively, finally making the cast-obsidian pyramid I've been trying to make for a while.
=Uncool-

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 10:29:05 am »

At war with the elves, no local gobbo's, aaaand I'm almost done sealing the cavern.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 01:37:34 pm »

I would'nt exactly call that a Megaproject - I'd rather call that a dwarfgineering prowess. You can still be proud of you, thought.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 01:42:25 pm »

I would never flood the caverns as it provides practice for my military, a good (yet possibly dangerous) grazing spot for animals, wood during times of siege, and a water source for my well.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 08:10:55 pm »

I would never flood the caverns as it provides practice for my military, a good (yet possibly dangerous) grazing spot for animals, wood during times of siege, and a water source for my well.

Grab the save and take a look - The cavern's completely empty with nothing growing in it.  All that was ever in it was a bunch of Crundles and the occasional Blind Cave Troll.  Cavern No. 3 is the one that has all the trees and Cavern 1 is the inlet of the water for the reservoir.

And i don't know if it helps towards megaproject status, but there's a small shelter with a farm plantation and magma-proof walls being built in the center of it.  (if you look at the savegame, you'll see it in the center-ish area of the cavern).  Some lucky dwarves are gonna win themselves a new house before i kick off the magma flow.

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 10:56:28 pm »

In that case. . . .Uristp McOverlord: PULL THE LEVER!!!.    Urist McLeverpuller:err, uh. .we dont have one yet. . . .    Urist McOverlord:well then, PULL THE LEVER WHEN WE GET ONE!!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 02:22:16 am »

In that case. . . .Uristp McOverlord: PULL THE LEVER!!!.    Urist McLeverpuller:err, uh. .we dont have one yet. . . .    Urist McOverlord:well then, PULL THE LEVER WHEN WE GET ONE!!

Actually it's more along the line of 'The Aussie Overlord: "Are the reactor's full yet?"' 'Urist McMason: "Sorry boss, still fixing the reservoir controls, cleaning out the trees growing in the channels out of it and paving them to make sure it never happens again before we can even start refilling them".  All i have left to do is magma the base of the last wall shut as it's filled with water there.  My own fault, actually.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 06:36:39 am »

It's ready to fire, so have at it guys!