Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So, I'm going into the old ruins of a version known as "40d"  (Read 1945 times)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile

I'm going to start my first 40d fort. Any advice before I venture into the depths?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Re: So, I'm going into the old ruins of a version known as "40d"
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 03:35:37 am »

Carp are harmless, don't worry.

In all seriousness, Have all military personal train as wrestlers first. Wrestlers use the dodging skill, and they are capable of throwing enemies crazy far distance and having them explode into gore.

Materials weren't set up back then. So Adamantine war hammers are awesome.

Obsidian rivals steel.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 03:43:15 am »

Quality matters more than material, Candy>all in every situation, wrestlers are the best available. If you have adamantine artifact armor, especially armor that protects the head/body, you've got a superdwarf on your hands, no matter what weapon they use.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 04:04:05 am »

Carp are harmless

I don't believe you...

Yeah, after you solidify them in magma and collapse their cursed souls into the chasms they become relatively benign.

***CORROSION v2.14***
Back from the Dead!

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 04:15:27 am »

Search for an underground river or pool and a magma pipe or pool.

Bring some bauxite along.

And some turtles, or cave lobsters. Moods will include demands for shell at times.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 04:18:36 am »

Screw wrestlers - train powerful hammerlords. Watch every enemy get punted across the map from hammerstrikes until they hit an obstacle and explode everywhere.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 04:22:53 am »

Screw wrestlers - train powerful hammerlords. Watch every enemy get punted across the map from hammerstrikes until they hit an obstacle and explode everywhere.

Which is awesome, except Wrestling = Dodge skill.

***CORROSION v2.14***
Back from the Dead!

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 04:33:08 am »

Of course, but 40d hilarious training accidents in which you scrape a half-dozen parts of your dwarves off the walls, floor, and ceiling of the barracks are half the "fun".

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 04:34:15 am »

Try to find a site with a volcano, flux and an underground river/pool. Adamantine too, it's only present in mountain-tiles and even then one single spot per world-map tile.

The river/pool part may be optional, as you may not want underground plantlife growing in areas you prepare.
Can't remember if you had to flood&muddy the areas you want UG plants to grow or if they grew up normally in unmuddied UG soil tiles.

Training in 40d is done by traditional sparring and your dorfs will not hold back their punches. The wrestling tip was already told but anyway, wrestling also affects dodging in 40d so yeah, make legendary wrestlers first(they train up the skill fast as hell). Try to check that they don't end up holding clothes from their soldier partners when equipping, I recall they won't pick up weapons or shields if they have a spider silk glove on hand. Wrestling was also a lot better and a squad of 10 legendary wrestlers could do a lot of damage even if they had crappy gear. Still, make them some armor.

If you're handing out backpacks for food, do that after you're finished training them as wrestlers. Otherwise they can grab the backpack and the food ends up on the floor and it can't be moved anymore(it was claimed by the soldier with the pack, and they won't pick up the food again, they just replace it if there's a free backpack somewhere).

Economy can be "fun" if you bother with getting the nobles up to that part. I sort of miss it, luckily you didn't need to make coins to have it work. In fact, never make coins, the dorfs end up splitting the stacks of 500 a lot and they end up everywhere, making hauling take more time.

Injuries that make a dorf unable to walk put them permanently in bed in 40d too, so either be prepared to lock their door and let them starve or end up with people who will never do anything more but be fed and brought water to. They only get out of the bed if they hit a mood, but end right back there once it's all done.

Sidhien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 04:46:44 am »

Just gonna add that unlike 2010, miners and woodcutters don't drop their tools when drafted, and so make an excellent starting militia until you can get a dedicated military going.

Oh and because wrestling is so much more effective, if enemies get inside the fort you can just draft EVERYONE into a single squad and do a lemming rush. Solves most problems with only moderate casualties.  :D

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 05:07:31 am »

I'll add that if you don't embark on a site with a volcano or magma pool, you'll have no magma forges.  Ever.  Also, few materials are magma safe, especially for mechanisms, so take bauxite if you don't have it on site.
In fact for pretty much anything, if it's not there on the embark site you probably won't have it, with the exception of iron (from goblinite).  And goblin armor doesn't fit your dwarves.
Also also ;) You only have 15 z levels from the lowest point on your map to dig in.  If you want a 100z pit of doom, you need to embark on the edge of a mountain.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 05:09:49 am »

Injuries that make a dorf unable to walk put them permanently in bed in 40d too, so either be prepared to lock their door and let them starve or end up with people who will never do anything more but be fed and brought water to. They only get out of the bed if they hit a mood, but end right back there once it's all done.
Fuck. Is there a utility that I could use to heal the wounds?

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 05:10:46 am »

I'm pretty sure 40d had some utility which allowed you to heal all injuries.
Hell if I remember what it was called though.

EDIT: Oh right, in case you're looking into only healing the permanently crippled, I recall that 40d's healing system was also different from DF2010. I think every month's end, or was it when a season passed, there was some percentage for wounds to heal. If you were unlucky, a wound would remain until the next check.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 05:22:33 am by Ieb »

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 05:27:24 am »

If I remember right there was something you could change in the RAWs then revert to instantly heal all your dwarves. I don't remember how it went though.
Pages: [1] 2