Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 69

Author Topic: New Player's Guide to the Subforum - New to Mafia? START HERE  (Read 253900 times)

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
Re: New Player's Guide to the Subforum - New to Mafia? START HERE
« Reply #600 on: August 30, 2013, 07:05:29 pm »

Man, I'm just going to stop talking, because it's pretty clear that talking =/=> actual communication right now for me.

But yeah, I think the atmosphere here is generally good.  I'm just like super-exhausted at the moment with aggro stuff of any flavor, which doesn't mean it's all bad.
It's okay. Web's still on mom-duty right now. You can take over later.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: September 01, 2013, 02:10:38 am »

I'm 23, pretty much an old woman at this point for purposes of a lot of this forum[...]
*uncontrollable giggling*

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: September 01, 2013, 02:21:14 am »

Dude Shakerag, you ruin all my fun :[

But seriously, I taught high school this summer and suddenly realized just how big the difference between 23 and 16 is.  It suddenly seems weird to be on, well, a lot of the social parts of the internet.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: September 01, 2013, 04:08:19 am »

..There's nothing weird with age and such >_> It's what you do with it.

...And that means no assuming you're too old for stuff! Age is just a funny number which people attach labels to. D:<

TolyK

• Bay Watcher
  • Nowan Ilfideme
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: September 01, 2013, 04:29:33 am »

Reminds me of a good quote:
"I don't age, I level up!"
My Mafia Stats
just do whatevery tolyK and blame it as a bastard mod
Shakerag: Who are you personally suspicious of?
At this point?  TolyK.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: September 01, 2013, 12:46:21 pm »

There's actually nothing wrong with feeling old or being conscious that your role has changed.  All I'm trying to say--all I'm really trying to say--is that, if you see any inconsistency in my behavior and standards from when I started here to now--just consider it geezery character development and don't feel bad about it, if you were going to be so inclined.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: September 01, 2013, 06:29:14 pm »

I only purely attribute it to the mood of the day and/or recent events IRL, and not take it upon myself to label others and feel hurt on it. Goodness knows that stuff happens.

..Though I usually throw out a PM to clarify :P

New players: Note the Beginner's Mafia up in signups!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: September 01, 2013, 06:37:05 pm »

Flavour isn't really a requirement, I do feel disappointed if there isn't at least a joke for the phase transitions though.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: September 04, 2013, 07:38:33 pm »

Flavor's an interesting one.  I really think my best flavor was done super early in my modding history, but that's the kind of thing that takes muse-level inspiration (hint: N3).  The Roguelike series has quite a bit, but writing flavor for every player every phase gets old quickly, which is why I probably won't do "item questing" flavor- or maybe any significant PM flavor- next time I do one.  Sure, I'll still write something for phase transitions and game start/end, but doing stuff for the PMs is time consuming.

Also, it can be tricky to not give away clues in a gametype like that.  I slipped a bit and someone correctly identified a mafia versus vig kill in one day opener last game.

I'm not a great writer, and it shows when I get to the last few PMs to go out.

But I sure appreciate good flavor, and LNCP stands out in my mind as someone who really invests himself in flavor.  That said, Web's BYORs- even though they're often just quick absurdist things in flavor- have clear concise night results.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: September 04, 2013, 08:11:42 pm »

I don't think I did too badly writing flavor for Revolution II.

That said, I made my mistakes in other ways. I was not the best mod in that game. ^.^;
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: September 05, 2013, 10:12:15 am »

Flavor's an interesting one.  I really think my best flavor was done super early in my modding history, but that's the kind of thing that takes muse-level inspiration (hint: N3).  The Roguelike series has quite a bit, but writing flavor for every player every phase gets old quickly, which is why I probably won't do "item questing" flavor- or maybe any significant PM flavor- next time I do one.  Sure, I'll still write something for phase transitions and game start/end, but doing stuff for the PMs is time consuming.

Also, it can be tricky to not give away clues in a gametype like that.  I slipped a bit and someone correctly identified a mafia versus vig kill in one day opener last game.

I'm not a great writer, and it shows when I get to the last few PMs to go out.

But I sure appreciate good flavor, and LNCP stands out in my mind as someone who really invests himself in flavor.  That said, Web's BYORs- even though they're often just quick absurdist things in flavor- have clear concise night results.
My goal is to make sure that only the relevant information stays in. I've done flavorful before, and I get the same "WHY WON'T IT END" levels of boredom. There's only so much you can do to say they didn't die.

Now, them DYING, on the other hand, can be fun. Like when I wrote poems. Haha, I actually hadn't planned to write any, but I was bored, and I wanted to see if I could fit in a rhyme about Zombie Urist. Turns out I could.

Other than that, I'll attempt to give flavor for Game End, Day Ends, and Day Starts. These I consider to be the most important ones. Other less important things are Dead Players, Vote Counts, and certain Actions I'll consider. After that, it's just a lot.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: September 05, 2013, 10:58:26 am »

Half the reason I mod games is to write flavor, really. It's my way of doing creative writing without any story of my own that I need to tell.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: November 02, 2013, 07:15:46 pm »

I want a beginner's game  :o This is a fun but I've never done it in forum format.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: November 02, 2013, 07:43:36 pm »

The current Beginner's Mafia needs a replacement, so you could always get right into it if you want.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: November 02, 2013, 07:55:34 pm »

Just dropped a message in. got my fingers crossed c:
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 69