Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 69

Author Topic: New Player's Guide to the Subforum - New to Mafia? START HERE  (Read 253888 times)

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
  • A photo is worth 1,000 words... all: Guilty!
    • View Profile
Re: New Player's Guide to the Subforum - New to Mafia? START HERE
« Reply #585 on: August 30, 2013, 04:19:55 pm »

Is that flavor more flavorful than the wet biscuit you gave for an opening?

If that could be considered flavor.
The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

Is the admiral of the SS Lapidot.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: August 30, 2013, 04:21:45 pm »

Yes.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: August 30, 2013, 04:26:31 pm »

Okay. I'll trust you for now. I'm a big fan of the flavor of these sorts've things. It shows dedication to the game from the mod. It shows that they care enough to devote time to writing more than "Two robots are now bad. Shutting down the production floor."

[Whiny entitled rant]
Seriously why so little? It was like... a sentence at best. Maybe two. I dunno.... It didn't engage me in any way. You could replace the word robots with anything and it'd make as much of an impression. There are two sticks that want to kill the rest of the stick people. Sign up for my game. I dunno. I know I"m being a bit of a dick here but still... It just feels lazy and rushed.[/whiny entitled rant]

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: August 30, 2013, 04:31:10 pm »

Nerjin, seriously, as someone who is currently writhing under a pile of unwritten PMs. . . STFU.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: August 30, 2013, 04:34:13 pm »

I apologize for offending you Vector.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: August 30, 2013, 04:36:02 pm »

Holy crap, it's a Beginner's Mafia. Any amount of flavor is fine. In fact, most of the time, the less flavor there is the better.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: August 30, 2013, 04:45:17 pm »

Well it appears I'm being a bit of a dick. I was under the impression that we were supposed to write more flavor instead of less... Ah well learn something new every day.

Apologies to zombie urist for me being a dick.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: August 30, 2013, 04:46:14 pm »

Well it appears I'm being a bit of a dick. I was under the impression that we were supposed to write more flavor instead of less... Ah well learn something new every day.

It depends entirely upon the game being played. Some games are flavor-heavy, others are more bare-bones. Either is fine, as long as people know what to expect.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: August 30, 2013, 04:47:39 pm »

Nerjin, seriously, as someone who is currently writhing under a pile of unwritten PMs. . . STFU.
Dude can express that he likes more flavor in the games.  Maybe instead of telling him to STFU you can think that he likely appreciates (and reads, unlike some of us) the flavor you're writing? 

You're not being a dick; you're expressing your opinion.  Having said that, flavor isn't required at all in the games.  Webadict ran one a little while back that had practically no flavor. 

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: August 30, 2013, 04:51:59 pm »

Okay, let me put it this way.  I feel like it's rude to tell people to up their flavor in two different threads.  It undermines the credibility of the mod and doesn't put things like the amount of time the mod has into consideration.

I appreciate it if people like my flavor, of course.  But I also think that there's other ways to express the same sentiment, which doesn't feed into this attacking circle we've got going.

(Obviously I have also failed at this, so I apologize.  I've been making a lot of rather poor knee-jerk decisions lately)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: August 30, 2013, 05:39:41 pm »

The way I see it is that no one WANTS to be told their flavor isn't enough. It's not helpful to tell us that we don't have enough flavor. For me, writing flavor is very hard. I can come up with great ideas, but getting them down into writing has never been one of my skills. It doesn't help either that I run games like BYOR where the flavor is inherently nonsensical, feeding on my love of the hilarious (I'd like to think so.)

The point is that we can't all write flavor, and I don't think everyone has to. We certainly like to read flavor (Meph, Vector, LNCP, etc.), some of us (COUGH WEBADICT COUGH EVERYONE KNOWS I GET IT THANKS) just don't have the same ability. And, sometimes, it's good. Flavor can get in the way of the game if done improperly or it can make the game much grander.

However, please don't tell us our flavor just isn't good enough. It hurts, man. If you want to volunteer to write it, though, I'd take you up on the offer. But, like others are saying, we do what we can. So just be respectful, alright? We shall maintain our current level of chillosity.

Nerjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: August 30, 2013, 05:55:01 pm »

I suppose it's due to the fact that I personally love writing and reading flavor [find it the most enjoyable part of a forum game personally] that I didn't quite think that others held the opposite view.

To respond quickly to Vector's point that I was being rude: Very true. I was, to state again, under the impression that flavor was a requirement rather than a bonus. I disagree that it ruins the credibility of the mod however as it really has nothing to do with the other. Having it, to me, shows commitment but I know that ZU is a pretty good mod on its own. Lack of Flavor or no I have the utmost faith in him and everyone else on this thread who hosts games. I've played in his games before and I can think of like... one mistake and that one wasn't even his fault.

To Web I'd like to say I don't see how flavor can get in the way of the game. Furthermore what's with this chillosity thing you keep mentioning? I've seen it before but... I don't quite get why you keep bringing it up. Is the "attack circle" really that bad? It doesn't seem like it to me honestly...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: August 30, 2013, 06:19:21 pm »

I was, to state again, under the impression that flavor was a requirement rather than a bonus.

!!

This explains a lot.  Thanks for the reminder.

Furthermore what's with this chillosity thing you keep mentioning? I've seen it before but... I don't quite get why you keep bringing it up. Is the "attack circle" really that bad? It doesn't seem like it to me honestly...

Hmm... let me put it this way.  I'm 23, pretty much an old woman at this point for purposes of a lot of this forum, and I'm so tired of fighting with people and rudeness in general.  And I remember being younger, more of a teenager, and seeing no reason not to cultivate a combative atmosphere (kind of fun!).

I really wish we could just keep the fighting to the games and be polite, if jokey, outside of them.  I'm not saying "no hard teasing" or whatever, I'm saying only that I'm really tired of people having grievances and cutting people down first, asking questions later.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: August 30, 2013, 06:44:35 pm »

To Web I'd like to say I don't see how flavor can get in the way of the game. Furthermore what's with this chillosity thing you keep mentioning? I've seen it before but... I don't quite get why you keep bringing it up. Is the "attack circle" really that bad? It doesn't seem like it to me honestly...
Having too much flavor can actually be a drain on your games. In doing so, you can hide certain points, draw people's focus away from the game or to useless details, or even get someone lynched! It can certainly confuse people, and you have to watch for that.

And I don't mean just you when I say we should remain chill. I mean everyone. While we're certainly not attacking each other, I also don't want it to be taken the wrong way. I understand your point, but not everyone might. That's why I poked fun at myself, because I am the epitome of flavorless. I can tell you that no flavor games run like a well-oiled machine. No one's confused about what happened. No one's trying to read into details. Everything is clear, concise, and to the point. But, I can also tell you that flavor can make a game twenty times better than it was.

I hope this explains it well.

Hmm... let me put it this way.  I'm 23, pretty much an old woman at this point for purposes of a lot of this forum, and I'm so tired of fighting with people and rudeness in general.  And I remember being younger, more of a teenager, and seeing no reason not to cultivate a combative atmosphere (kind of fun!).

I really wish we could just keep the fighting to the games and be polite, if jokey, outside of them.  I'm not saying "no hard teasing" or whatever, I'm saying only that I'm really tired of people having grievances and cutting people down first, asking questions later.
Psh, come now, Vector. I think we're a lot better, don't you? I don't see Dariush being as mean as before, and that's actually really good. I'm also trying not to be as combative. Neither are you. I think we can stay pretty chill here, and if someone doesn't want to be chill, we can have a light discussion with them, tell them that we find their behavior to be detrimental to the Mafia Subboard, and ask them to politely refrain. If they refuse, then we'll deal with it then.

We all have our bad days and our stresses and we sometimes lash out at people. I know I did during the Great Temple, and I'm sorry I did. No one deserved any of it. Not Mephansteras. Not Tiruin. Heck, not even Dariush deserves to be lashed out at, when I did that to him. So, if I lash out at someone in the future, someone be kind enough to tell me. Because I'll be kind enough to tell you.

Now, we are all fucking chill.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: August 30, 2013, 06:55:57 pm »

Man, I'm just going to stop talking, because it's pretty clear that talking =/=> actual communication right now for me.

But yeah, I think the atmosphere here is generally good.  I'm just like super-exhausted at the moment with aggro stuff of any flavor, which doesn't mean it's all bad.

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 69