Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 69

Author Topic: New Player's Guide to the Subforum - New to Mafia? START HERE  (Read 254000 times)

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
Re: New Player's Guide to the Subforum - New to Mafia? START HERE
« Reply #255 on: February 24, 2012, 09:44:51 pm »

Let's see how the current "keeping the repeats on the replace list at first" method works.  Obviously, nobody can be a first timer more than once, so nobody will be left out of a beginner game for long if they're turned away for not being a complete newbie.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 25, 2012, 03:29:53 am »

Also, if we get too many repeat newbies we could maybe try Beginner's Vengeful again, but with all people who know basically what they're doing.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 25, 2012, 03:36:53 am »

If I find 5 slightly-better-than-beginners, I'd love to run Beginner's Vengeful.
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 25, 2012, 06:15:54 am »

What exactly is a Beginner's Vengeful?
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 25, 2012, 06:28:38 am »

Like vengeful mafia, but for newbies. *totally not helpful*

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 25, 2012, 11:48:32 am »

Judging by the rate of how many are joining in the current BM (Mc Arathos') then it may be enough to consider another one. But that would be a first, still surprised at how many are intrigued right now.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 25, 2012, 04:15:45 pm »

Vengeful is a very small, fast-paced gametype, at least in theory. There's five players, two of which are scum. On the first, and only the first, day, if a townie is lynched they get a vengekill, which they can use on any player in the game. Scum has no kill, and the only power role in the game is the Godfather, whose only ability is that his scumteam loses if he is lynched (but not if he's vengekilled).

The result is sort of an instant LYLO or one day back. If town is lynched D1 and then said townie shoots another townie, scum wins instantly. If the godfather is lynched D1, town wins instantly. If a townie is lynched D1 but then shoots scum, it goes to a 2 town to 1 scum LYLO, and if the mafioso is lynched D1, it goes to a 3:1 situation where town can afford one mislynch and then it's LYLO. Game is generally hammers only, since nothing can happen during the night and thus there's no point to it.

A long time ago, we theorized that this very, very fast gametype might be useful for newbies, since it's over quickly and you can get immediate feedback on what you did wrong, who was really scum, etc. We tried it out, but it didn't go so well, presumably because some of the participants didn't really know what they were doing, and thus really weren't ready to be thrust into LYLO.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Urist McUselessNoble

• Bay Watcher
  • Interrupted by Giant Cave Spider
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 25, 2012, 04:59:59 pm »

That's different from the mafiascum.net version. There, according to the wiki, townies get vengekill in every LyLo, not just the D1 one.
"Among the many models of the good society no one has urged the squirrel wheel" - J.K. Galbraith, The Affluent Society

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 25, 2012, 05:06:48 pm »

That appears to be the seven player variant. Their five player version looks identical to ours.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 25, 2012, 11:19:15 pm »

Vengeful is a very small, fast-paced gametype, at least in theory. There's five players, two of which are scum. On the first, and only the first, day, if a townie is lynched they get a vengekill, which they can use on any player in the game. Scum has no kill, and the only power role in the game is the Godfather, whose only ability is that his scumteam loses if he is lynched (but not if he's vengekilled).

The result is sort of an instant LYLO or one day back. If town is lynched D1 and then said townie shoots another townie, scum wins instantly. If the godfather is lynched D1, town wins instantly. If a townie is lynched D1 but then shoots scum, it goes to a 2 town to 1 scum LYLO, and if the mafioso is lynched D1, it goes to a 3:1 situation where town can afford one mislynch and then it's LYLO. Game is generally hammers only, since nothing can happen during the night and thus there's no point to it.

A long time ago, we theorized that this very, very fast gametype might be useful for newbies, since it's over quickly and you can get immediate feedback on what you did wrong, who was really scum, etc. We tried it out, but it didn't go so well, presumably because some of the participants didn't really know what they were doing, and thus really weren't ready to be thrust into LYLO.
This has probably already been suggested but:
Might it be a good idea to have one if you have a group who have played before, but need experience and/or practice in late game for varying reasons? 
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 08, 2012, 09:52:28 am »

Guys, I most likely can't do the next one due to time constraints, so yeah.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 15, 2012, 09:21:04 am »

So who's going to do the next one, now that Ottofar doesn't?

I'm also preemptively calling the spot as scum IC 'cause I know that Toaster will otherwise just snatch it away from me 5 minutes before I go online. :V

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 15, 2012, 01:05:34 pm »

Maybe we should turn at least one IC into a guaranteed non-playing town?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 15, 2012, 01:11:34 pm »

That means that if one is lynched and is scum, the other is confirmed town.  Not good.

At 1/72 chance, it's not very likely that they're both scum anyway.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 15, 2012, 01:18:06 pm »

More like 1/36.

Math, Toaster, you don't has it.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 69