Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 69

Author Topic: New Player's Guide to the Subforum - New to Mafia? START HERE  (Read 254016 times)

Mii

• Bay Watcher
  • c'est la vie.
    • View Profile
Re: New Player's Guide to the Subforum - New to Mafia? START HERE
« Reply #240 on: February 05, 2012, 09:38:50 pm »

You could go in as a replacement in the current BM if anyone asks for it.

Though, anyone who does will have a lot of reading to do.  ;D

How do people replace effectively, out of curiosity? I myself have read along with the current BM already, but I would not feel comfortable jumping into a game that has already been established, taking the place of a person who already had their strategy planned out until something came up that had them unable to play any longer. It just seems very hard to do, but you guys don't seem to have a problem doing it.
"A normal person looks at ♠§dg and sees gibberish, but the Dwarf Fortress initiate sees a tense tableau: a dog leashed to a tree, about to be mauled by a goblin."

- The Brilliance of Dwarf Fortress

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 05, 2012, 09:43:34 pm »

How do people replace effectively, out of curiosity? I myself have read along with the current BM already, but I would not feel comfortable jumping into a game that has already been established, taking the place of a person who already had their strategy planned out until something came up that had them unable to play any longer. It just seems very hard to do, but you guys don't seem to have a problem doing it.
To some extent, ignoring everything up until that point and just carrying on with the game from that point forward can work fine. It's better than getting so bogged down in past stuff that you can't focus on anything in the present, certainly.

Also, most people don't have any sort of unique strategy to mess up or change gears with. If they've got any night actions you can be dealing with some odd decisions, but that's not usually a problem, just a less than ideal start.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: February 05, 2012, 09:44:24 pm »

Read along, figure out which questions you wish "you" had asked, and run an attack on whoever you think deserves it most.  If you're worried about taking up space and offending people, playing mafia might be pretty hard on you.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mii

• Bay Watcher
  • c'est la vie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: February 05, 2012, 09:53:31 pm »

I see. That doesn't seem too hard, then. I was only worried, as how you put it, being bogged down by past things that may hinder your current advancement in trying to win Mafia.

Thank you very much for clarifying, Vector and IronyOwl!
"A normal person looks at ♠§dg and sees gibberish, but the Dwarf Fortress initiate sees a tense tableau: a dog leashed to a tree, about to be mauled by a goblin."

- The Brilliance of Dwarf Fortress

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 05, 2012, 09:55:56 pm »

Nah, usually you just say "Hey, that wasn't me, I have no idea what their motivations were."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 23, 2012, 01:43:20 pm »

Arathos, your turn.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 23, 2012, 04:30:09 pm »

So, recently, it seems like there have been lots of completely new players showing interest, and because BMs run slowly and there are not enough spots they've been signing up for other games because they want to play mafia just that badly.

I think moving forward we should implement a new policy that slots in BMs should be prioritized for completely new players over people who are repeats. That way we can get as many people in to sample the game as possible, and the repeat players can be there to fill in as replacements if needed.

Thoughts? I'd like to see newer players get precedence over players who have one or two BMs already under their belt.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 23, 2012, 06:14:35 pm »

I'm down for it. Also I call dibs on the next BM that's open.
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 23, 2012, 06:18:45 pm »

That would be... 34?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 23, 2012, 08:52:03 pm »

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 23, 2012, 09:26:03 pm »

BM XXXI is now in signups.  Please message me or post in the thread if you've got dibs; I don't know if anyone already wanted in from before XXX.

I'm also in agreement with Jim; if we have more players than slots, total newbies should get in before repeat players.  We can always run a basic vanilla mafia game for the newbies who are left out anyway, if we have that many standing on the sidelines.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 24, 2012, 08:00:58 am »

How about we outright kick repeats from the game if newbies show interest?

Urist McUselessNoble

• Bay Watcher
  • Interrupted by Giant Cave Spider
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 24, 2012, 08:26:42 am »

Desirable only in the very early game (my gut says up to halfway through D2, but that's a figure I pulled out of my ass so you could probably convince me to go half a day in either direction). Go too far in and it becomes unfair to the newbies already in the game, as they will have to get new reads on the new players.

And totally new players probably cannot be reliably expected to re-read the thread with as great diligence as is required if they are substituted in on D3.
"Among the many models of the good society no one has urged the squirrel wheel" - J.K. Galbraith, The Affluent Society

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 24, 2012, 08:35:35 am »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't there be two divisions in this certain instance for newbies? To prevent a huge number of replacements, limit the current ones to three maximum at any one time. They must be able to learn from replacement. Or is it a bad idea to have two BMs running at the same time due to flaking? New players should be given the spot instead of repeat ones, in my view.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 24, 2012, 04:11:21 pm »

Beginner's Mafias already have high replacement rates. Doing two at once would make it hard to keep both games full, and new players especially need games that don't get derailed by lack of participation.

How about we outright kick repeats from the game if newbies show interest?

From Beginner's Mafias in progress? Eh, that would be pretty disruptive to the game, I think.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 69