Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 69

Author Topic: New Player's Guide to the Subforum - New to Mafia? START HERE  (Read 253932 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: New Player's Guide to the Subforum - New to Mafia? START HERE
« Reply #660 on: March 14, 2014, 01:41:36 am »

It might be entertaining to see a game where things like that are encouraged - people can use whatever tactics that they want to win. PMs might be restricted in the form of the mod needing copies and only allowing them to be sent to living people in the game.
Ahahahahahahahaha
No.

'Whatever' tactics include 'proving yourself as town' for one--and that is quite a giant slip to follow with. People copy pasting PMs, ignoring the rules...
No. No. No. NO.
Because darn goodness was that quite a mess-up (tried a free-ish setup. Crashed and burned on the run-way, and the passengers kept at it...well, on another forum anyways.)

RangerCado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: March 14, 2014, 01:44:44 am »

A less restricted way of playing is completely possible, but you'd still need rules of engagement or the whole thing falls apart.
The best ship is the one where one of them is literally allergic to the other~
Quote from: NakaTeleeli
"A room ain't messy less you can't find nothin!"
[/quote]

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: March 14, 2014, 04:24:51 am »

yeah we have rules for a reason  :P
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: March 14, 2014, 05:12:22 pm »

BM XLV needs another replacement, for realsies. If you wanted to get in mafia, now is another perfect time, for realsies.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: March 14, 2014, 05:30:46 pm »

It might be entertaining to see a game where things like that are encouraged - people can use whatever tactics that they want to win. PMs might be restricted in the form of the mod needing copies and only allowing them to be sent to living people in the game.
Ahahahahahahahaha
No.

'Whatever' tactics include 'proving yourself as town' for one--and that is quite a giant slip to follow with. People copy pasting PMs, ignoring the rules...
No. No. No. NO.
Because darn goodness was that quite a mess-up (tried a free-ish setup. Crashed and burned on the run-way, and the passengers kept at it...well, on another forum anyways.)

The standard rules would probably be in place, and it would need careful balancing. Role PMs would either be so different from each other that you could feasibly make one up or just have normal ones and have them on the OP. However, more freedom would be allowed - as long as the mod got PMs about what was going on.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: March 14, 2014, 10:47:05 pm »

The standard rules would probably be in place, and it would need careful balancing. Role PMs would either be so different from each other that you could feasibly make one up or just have normal ones and have them on the OP. However, more freedom would be allowed - as long as the mod got PMs about what was going on.
When I said a 'trainwreck', I mean a literal trainwreck wherein the players were too lazy to follow the darn rules and instead did all the shenanigans they did until I had to reply.
That was hours after the trainwreck. But I concur--none were the wiser on the incident.

Because the rules were directly following the BM rules in that other forum.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: March 22, 2014, 10:06:12 pm »

Beginner's Mafia XLV has completed.

Who's got the next one?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: March 22, 2014, 10:08:06 pm »

Beginner's Mafia XLV has completed.

Who's got the next one?
I'd go for it, but I've got an active game right now.

Anyone else?

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: March 22, 2014, 10:15:21 pm »

I'll put it up tomorrow if no one else wants it.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile

Scripten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: April 28, 2014, 03:34:33 pm »

I'm a little new to the whole forum, and to mafia. I'd like to get into a game, but it looks like the beginner's game is already midway through. Anyone have some advice for getting some practice in with the game?

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: April 28, 2014, 05:24:50 pm »

The current BM shouldn't be long until it finishes. Sometimes new players are allowed in non-BM games, so you could always ask one of the mods of one of the games currently in sign-ups.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: April 28, 2014, 07:48:40 pm »

The current BM shouldn't be long until it finishes. Sometimes new players are allowed in non-BM games, so you could always ask one of the mods of one of the games currently in sign-ups.

I'll add that signing up for games like Mini Mafia Madness and other games that substantially alter the normal mechanics are not a good idea to sign up for until you have some experience.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: May 01, 2014, 01:02:22 pm »

BM 46 is over!

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: May 01, 2014, 01:24:35 pm »

I think that one of the problems with the BM's is that they allow players in who can't be fairly classified as "beginners" in the strictest sense. On top of the already present IC's, it often seems that these players can dominate the game. They all know each other, so they know what to look for, while the new players often get lynched for making new player mistakes. I know people try to limit this tendency, but it still happens. In a lot of the games I've seen, it has turned into either two veterans going back and forth with each other, or a veteran going against a newbie. It also seems that we lose most of the players who join BM's, possibly for this exact reason. The new players get lost in the crowd of veterans. That's one of the benefits I had going into my first BM: three of the remaining seven players were entirely new to the game, including myself. I think the games need to run with a higher percentage of truly new of inexperienced players in the future, at least four. Because otherwise they seem to get lost in the crowd.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 69