Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What has dwarf fortress taught you?  (Read 2265 times)

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What has dwarf fortress taught you?
« on: July 11, 2011, 11:13:38 pm »

Tell us something that dwarf fortress has taught you that school could never

Prior to my fun with dorf fortress i never knew that a alcohol is capable of rehydrating people

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What has dwarf fortress taught you?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 12:21:49 am »

DF taught me geology.
School could never do something so simple.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 01:17:26 am »

DF taught me geology.
Now that you mention it; why isn't rudimentary geology taught in school?  This seems like a more productive way to spend one's youth than doing book reports.
where is up?

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 02:29:44 am »

DF has taught me how beautiful microcline and orthocase can both be.

It has also taught me some basics on trigger reactions and stuff.

Forteano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 03:57:42 am »

DF has taught me, like the Civilization games, how a complex society may crystallise from the humblest beginnings, and how tiny decisions in preparation (or lack of) can have the hugest ramifications.

It's been a very long time since I was in school ;) I'll turn 40 next year - and no, I bet I'm not even close to being the oldest DF player.

I hope I never see a "How old are you?!" thread on these boards. If there are any such, buried dozens of pages back, let them stay there! "How old are you?!" threads on gaming forums are demeaning to gamers and gaming, for many reasons.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 04:01:02 am »

df taught me to never surrender. because against all odds, all possibilities, a sock WILL BE TAKEN BACK TO THE STOCKPILE!
NO SOCKS SHALL BE LEFT BEHIND ON THE BATTLEFIELD!
and under the arrows, the bolts, and the lashes of the goblin, that sock will go in the stockpile!
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 04:12:20 am »

I have the strong desire to start a Magma engineering company.

So that says something.

Roctiv

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 04:17:17 am »

Dwarf Fortress taught me that no matter OCD ridden you are, no matter how perfect you want things to be, no matter how perfect you manage to make things, In the end you will be destroyed by a monarch butterfly or the lack of turtle shell in the desert. Perfection is overrated

(It's the first "strategy" game, strategy with quotation marks because it's a bit more than that, where I consider my entire workforce to be completely expendable)

@shadenight, do you mind if I sig' your post ?
Have a dwarven day.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 04:58:25 am »

DF has affected my psyche more than it has taught me. Let's just leave it at that.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 05:43:00 am »

What Sedimentary stone is.

That Bauxite is an ore of Aluminium. Magnetite, Limonite and Hematite are all sources of iron. Lots of that stuff.
It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 05:47:30 am »

That Bauxite is an ore of Aluminium. Magnetite, Limonite and Hematite are all sources of iron. Lots of that stuff.

I knew Bauxite from Railroad Tycoon II ja Hematite from school. But yeah, a lot of the stuff I've learned is about geology. The rest is more about game design than the game's content...
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 07:21:55 am »

I found someone I'm going to school with in the fall. Studies the same major. DF nerd. I hope he's a neckbeard too. THERE ARE MORE OF US ON EARTH

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 08:09:07 am »

you may sig it with no problems >.>
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 03:58:49 pm »

DF taught me geology.
Now that you mention it; why isn't rudimentary geology taught in school?  This seems like a more productive way to spend one's youth than doing book reports.

I learned about rudimentary geology in the sixth grade. I had quite enough of the stuff for several years until I tried Dwarf Fortress.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 04:10:05 pm »

That my purpose in life is to buy 20 acres of land and live off the grid in earth-sheltered homes with some of my friends, making our living off of cottage industries but being free from the morass of the corporate (goblin-run) world.

We have yet to do this, but it is the dream.
Pages: [1] 2