Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Alter Ego: Life Simulator  (Read 12573 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Alter Ego: Life Simulator
« on: July 11, 2011, 07:34:35 pm »

Stumbled across a game called Alter Ego today. It's pretty simple but interesting at the same time.
Basically you have a chart of icons you can click, each one representing an event in that stage of life.

Each one contains a question, with short answers. (For example, in the infancy stage, you can choose whether to eat random things out of the pantry or not.) Eventually, your life will reach its end. Like my first try:

Once you are in the car he turns away from the school and heads for the highway. This man is very sick. You are tortured, killed and buried in a landfill. Your body is never recovered. This game is over.

At the end of each stage of life you are given stats in different areas of your life, such as family relations, health, and other stuff.

It's a pretty good time killer for a bit.

The game was created in 1986, but can be played online here:
http://www.playalterego.com/alterego
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Alter Ego: Life Simulator
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 07:38:23 pm »

Once you are in the car he turns away from the school and heads for the highway. This man is very sick. You are tortured, killed and buried in a landfill. Your body is never recovered. This game is over.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 07:44:31 pm »

~snip~
Seriously man how could you fall in that trap?
~snip~
[/spoiler]
I was trying to make the worst choices I possibly could. And he told me the name of one of my friends. How would he know that if he wasn't legit?
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 07:45:12 pm »

Oh cool someone finally stole this from the dos game  :P

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 07:47:13 pm »

To be honest, some parts of the game just seem silly. For example at one point of the game, you can save someone from killing themselves. If you pick "confident" as your mood, you'll get a message back saying "UR 2 CONFIADANT! UR FREND DIESSSS!".
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 07:48:31 pm »

To be honest, some parts of the game just seem silly. For example at one point of the game, you can save someone from killing themselves. If you pick "confident" as your mood, you'll get a message back saying "UR 2 CONFIADANT! UR FREND DIESSSS!".
Haven't been playing too long...but I haven't noticed anything like this so far.
Also haven't gotten past childhood either. This game is long..

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 08:05:42 pm »

Oh, one more thing. Keep out of elderly baseball teams. They are the spawn of Satan.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 08:37:58 pm »

Love that game.

Obvious Hint - some guy tries to get you in the car when you're 8 years old or something. Getting in the car is a BAD IDEA.

Damn creepy scene though.

I have the DOS version.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 12:10:39 am »

I played this game a while back, I'm pretty sure there was a thread on the same game a couple months ago. I remember being pretty successful, then being stood up by my fiance and then failing miserably for the next 4 stages of my life at getting a new wife. The game needs more time so that you can actually do all the events, if you ask me.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 12:30:38 am »

I played this game a while back, I'm pretty sure there was a thread on the same game a couple months ago. I remember being pretty successful, then being stood up by my fiance and then failing miserably for the next 4 stages of my life at getting a new wife. The game needs more time so that you can actually do all the events, if you ask me.
I searched and couldn't find a thread on the first page and at least a little of the second page of results.

I think not allowing some events is so that it has at least a tiny bit of re-playability. I think they are always in the same place, so just start from the bottom and go up on a second game to get the ones you missed.

What do I have to do to get a job? I  never have enough 'life experiences'.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 12:46:15 am »

Finish school first?
Get a girl?
I don't really recall for sure.

I've had less than fond experiences in some parts of this game. Never had too much fun near the end, my guys kept playing baseball.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 01:32:10 am »

Once you get old enough you can get a job.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 02:15:42 am »

~snip~
~snip~
[/spoiler]
I was trying to make the worst choices I possibly could. And he told me the name of one of my friends. How would he know that if he wasn't legit?

It's actually harder to avoid the trap that one would expect.  I chose to tell the guy I couldn't get in the car, but he kidnapped and killed me anyways.  Run or die.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 02:17:56 am »

College occasionaly glitches and dosen't recognise your major, thus fucking your game up a bit. It seems to happen more often then not, which is kind of annoying.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 02:18:51 am »

~snip~
~snip~
[/spoiler]

It's actually harder to avoid the trap that one would expect.  I chose to tell the guy I couldn't get in the car, but he kidnapped and killed me anyways.  Run or die.

You *may* get away in that case (depending on your physical stats, I assume), and I think it's better if you do it at that point because then the man gets caught.

I think there are 2 or 3 criminals in the game you can bust.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5