Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Criminal and Noble Execution types  (Read 1519 times)

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Criminal and Noble Execution types
« on: July 11, 2011, 02:01:24 pm »

Have you ever had a dwarf commit such a heinous crime that he was to be executed? Are you getting tired of just criminals get hammered for executions? Do you want some other ways to get rid of useless and annoying nobles? What are some other Execution Ideas that you have developed other that locking the dwarf in their rooms or dropping them down a pit?

I've thought up of some sort of gallows.
Build a 2x3 tile floor 2 levels above the ground. Make stairs or ramps to the floor. Then build 2 pillars on 2 corners of one long side. Place a door in between the pillars. Build a floor extending another tile out from the door. Build a lever on one side of the door, and link it up to the door. Pull the lever to open the door. Then build a hatch cover on the side of the floor facing out from the door. Build another lever on the other side of the door. Link it up to the hatch cover. Then place a rope between the hatch cover and the door. your gallows are now complete. When you feel like executing somebody, open the door, assign the dwarf on death row to the rope, shut the door, assign the dwarf to a burrow on the hatch cover, and open the cover. Either the dwarf's neck will break, or he will strange to death eventually. Test this on a useless dwarf or annoying noble, and post the results here.

It should work, or else the rope will break under the dwarf's weight.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Criminal and Noble Execution types
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 02:08:03 pm »

Actually, what will happen is that the dwarf will detach from the rope.

Ropes and chains don't actually provide any physical restraint to a creature's movement at all.  They're effectively mind-control devices which stop the chained creature from leaving under its own power.  They don't prevent the chained creature from falling, or being flung away by a bridge or pushed away by flowing water.  I've tested this extensively.

You also can't manually assign your own dwarves to chains.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 02:47:40 pm »

I've tested this extensively.
Thank you.

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 05:45:59 pm »

Actually, what will happen is that the dwarf will detach from the rope.

Ropes and chains don't actually provide any physical restraint to a creature's movement at all.  They're effectively mind-control devices which stop the chained creature from leaving under its own power.  They don't prevent the chained creature from falling, or being flung away by a bridge or pushed away by flowing water.  I've tested this extensively.

You also can't manually assign your own dwarves to chains.

Why not have the chained dwarf standing on a retracting bridge above a deep pit? That'd have about the same effect.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 06:56:28 pm »

Well, you could drop them onto some serrated blade traps. Anything, be it monster or dwarf, that gets stunned on a trap will trigger it. Just get your target onto a bridge one level above the traps and release!

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 09:37:30 pm »

I guess I could stick an upright spike or ten underneath the dwarf to ensure death.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 03:57:08 am »

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o