Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Vegetarian Recipe Thread  (Read 5570 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: Vegetarian Recipe Thread
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2011, 02:31:44 pm »

Why wouldn't I want to eat half-cooked liquid brownies? That's like saying I wouldn't want to eat cookie dough, is my point. Raw eggs? Pshaw. Worth the risk, which is pretty low actually if you're not currently experiencing a salmonella outbreak.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2011, 03:43:13 pm »

I believe a liquid brownie is what you'd call a flan. :P

And baking does not have to be precise. You just have to look for all the tells. It goes for all recipes that you're not familiar with that you stick to the letter the first time, then work on it later.

I've been baking my own rye bread for the past 6 months now and I follow instinct as much as recipe now. When I'm close to done with kneading the dough, I add water until "It's enough". And I bake it until "It's done". Oh, and I knead it until "It feels right".

For brownies, you should always prick it with a fork or a chinese chop-stick before taking it out of the oven. If anything sticks, give it more. For non-chocolate cakes, you can try and wobble the thing a bit back and forth inside of the oven. If it's liquid inside, you'll be able to see the wobbling reflected on the surface much more than if it's not. The surface will always wobble a bit, seeing as it's hot, but it's a way to tell.

And I've been considering chipping in with my rye bread recipe (Traditional danish rye bread made on sourdough, with honey), but because of the various "Bake it until it's done" points, I chose not to. If people feel like it I can try to write it up when I get back from my holiday in a week.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2011, 05:25:02 pm »

Yeah, I'd really love that.  I learned "bake them until they're done" chapathis, so that sounds like it'd be just up my alley.

Looking forward to it =)
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2011, 05:29:36 pm »

I guess this is vegetarian? :p

(Probably not because of gelatin but ehhhh...)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2011, 05:49:25 pm »

Gelatin is made from animal bones, so no, it's technically not vegetarian. But in a story from this week's science news, they are working on creating a genetically engineered version of yeast capable of producing it; thus it may some day be vegetarian. Though in the same sense as meat grown in a test tube will be, as it will still be essentially the same end material.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 05:52:43 pm by alway »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2011, 09:07:41 pm »

regarding stovetop rice, the measurement I've always used was measure the depth of the rice with your finger, and then fill it with water to the same depth above the rice.
the rest has already been said, bring it to a boil, then put the flame as low as it'll possibly go, and wait 10 minutes or so. if you have nothing to do, you can listen until you stop hearing the sounds of water boiling.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2011, 10:58:18 pm »

There are plant derived ingredients quite similar to gelatin (pectin, I think?), but aren't quite as good at doing gelatin's job.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 17, 2011, 11:01:09 pm »

Pectin is pretty darned good, and it's in apples.  There's also agar-agar; after all, people can make vegetarian marshmallows and so on.

Gelatin's probably still the best, though.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2011, 11:54:35 pm »

Gelatin is made from animal bones, so no, it's technically not vegetarian. But in a story from this week's science news, they are working on creating a genetically engineered version of yeast capable of producing it; thus it may some day be vegetarian. Though in the same sense as meat grown in a test tube will be, as it will still be essentially the same end material.
Hopefully it works out. Would be nice if cheaper than traditional gelatin so as to mostly replace it. I also hope GM will be available by the time it's gone commercial.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2011, 04:58:03 am »

Decided to be Vector for a night and eat peanuts, noodles and egg for dinner. Wasn't terribly good, but it sufficed.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2011, 05:28:36 pm »

Awesome thread!  I happen to be vegetarian and Indian food is my specialty even though I'm non-Desi.  However, I know the cuisine can be really daunting for many.  Here's an easy version of Haldi Chawal (turmeric rice). 

1 cup basmati rice
1 tbsp oil or ghee
1 tbsp cumin seed
1 tsp hing (optional.  It's the dried gum resin of the asafoetida plant and can be found in all Indian grocery stores and some natural food stores)
1 cinnamon stick (optional)
1 bay leaf (optional)
1 tsp turmeric
1 & 1/4 cups of water or veggie broth (I use 1 tbsp "Better Than Boullion Vegetable Base" dissolved in water)
Salt, pepper, and cayenne to taste

Fry cumin seeds (and hing, cinnamon stick, and bay leaf if you have them) in oil/ghee over medium heat.  Once things get fragrant, usually within a minute, add dry rice.  Coat the rice well with the oil and fry for 1/2 a minute.  Add veggie broth (watch out, this will bubble quite a lot at the start), turmeric, salt, and pepper, stir really well (to avoid spice clumps*) then turn heat to low, cover, and cook for 15 min.  After 15 min, turn the heat off, but let the rice sit for 5 minutes with the cover on before serving.

Here's a photo of a batch I made along with channa masala (chickpea curry) and saag aloo (spinach and potatoes).  However, I most often turn haldi chawal into Indian-inspired black beans and rice with the addition of 1/2 a can of black beans mixed in.

* Another method to avoid clumps is to stir in the turmeric, pepper, and cayenne to the rice before adding the liquid.  I actually prefer the taste of this method, but it's easy to burn the spices and turn them super-bitter if you're not careful.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2011, 08:46:19 pm »

I'm bumping this, and asking a question!

Of the following recipes, which would folks find the most helpful?

a. A general currying recipe
b. A fried rice recipe
c. An extremely cheap borsch recipe
d. Crepe recipe

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2011, 09:23:10 pm »

I would love to learn an extremely cheap borsch recipe.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2011, 09:28:39 pm »

I also. Cheap is my favorite word, when it comes to food. I'm a lot like chicks, in that regard.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2011, 09:55:05 pm »

I also. Cheap is my favorite word, when it comes to food. I'm a lot like chicks, in that regard.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But yeah, I'm going off on my own soon. Cheap food is always nice.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6