Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 823 824 [825] 826 827 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1485249 times)

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #12360 on: September 07, 2015, 01:28:45 am »

I think I'm finally ready to commit to a full scale Mars mission (assuming 1.1 doesn't come out too soon), but first I need to send a probe to get some information. So here it is, Medjay 1:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Unfortunately, I wasn't paying attention to the terrain and ended up coming down on top of a mountain. The lander was only a few hundred meters off the ground when I finally noticed. I desperately jettisoned the aeroshell and heat shield and throttled the landing engines. The heatshield was shot downward by the decoupler, but then it shot back up due to its high drag, slamming into the lander and completely destroying it. The aeroshell, still connected to the drogue chutes, was the only part that made it to the surface intact. I would have liked to make the landing, but I got all the information I needed, so I'm not too disappointed.

Also, I'm getting a weird glitch where the martian terrain just disappears when I'm in the atmosphere at a certain altitude but reappears lower down. I'm not using any of the environmental mods. Anyone ideas on what's causing it?
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #12361 on: September 16, 2015, 12:44:20 pm »

I'm finally able to reliably get stuff up into LKO and get it into a stable orbit of my choosing!  :D Okay, so this is the very, very short end of the wedge, but it's an achievement that I've never managed to get down fully before.  Currently starting to get the rescue-a-kerbonaut missions, so should be able to do those without too much difficulty, hopefully (and am combining my first one with a take-a-tourist-into-orbit mission, because why not?)

My only issue now is that my heavily modded game keeps crashing on a semi-regular basis when switching back to the space centre.  Never loses any data (it obviously completes the autosave before it crashes), but it's a pain to keep having to restart KSP.  Oh well, I'll live with it.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #12362 on: September 16, 2015, 06:27:48 pm »

So getting off to another rocky start with my hypermodded GRAND CAMPAIGN. While this time I've avoided losing 30 pilots to lawndarting (though Jeb is dead, because Jeb is always dead) I'm now having a hell of a time trying to make a murderbot with remotetech and bdarmory. Or just trying to get a plane in the air now that I think about it.

Though mostly I'm having issues with the damn antenna's I need to use probes being ripped off if I go faster then a fucking go cart, even if they are LITERALLY INSIDE THE HULL. Hopefully the antenna's later on will be better about this because otherwise this is going to have to be a 100% manned game, as getting into the air with these fuckers intact is literally impossible.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12363 on: September 18, 2015, 06:13:44 pm »

Planes are difficult.  :-\  Even having watched Scott Manley's (excellent) YouTube videos on how to build an aerodynamic aircraft, I still can't get the damn thing to be particularly stable.  I mean, it flies and it'll do a straight line pretty well, but turning is a bit of a risk.   :P  Also, flying anywhere in an aircraft seems to take aaaaages.  I had a mission to explore near the northern polar region of Kerbin, spent a while building an okay-ish aircraft, started to fly up there...and then gave up, built a cheap disposable rocket and just launched the thing on a suborbital trajectory so that it was 'flying' over the region it needed to be over shortly before it crashed/landed/was recovered.

Planes are difficult.  Rockets are easier and faster.  This may simply be because I'm crap with planes.  :(
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12364 on: September 18, 2015, 06:30:25 pm »

Well this isn't "planes are hard" this is "the wings literally don't seem to provide lift"

I'm not sure if this is a result of my weird modlist, or just some quirk of the latest KSP version I haven't figured out yet, but I've had plenty of planes that work amazingly in the past, so I have a good idea of how this SHOULD be working, but for unknown reasons its really REALLY not.

Indeed, I do this.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12365 on: September 18, 2015, 06:59:07 pm »

Wings don't provide lift. They never have. Not the real-world concept of lift.

In the real world, (most) wings have an upward curve in them. This curve means that air passes more quickly over the top than under the bottom. Higher speed fluids have a lower pressure, which means that the air basically pushes wings up to compensate for the pressure differential.

In KSP, wings do not have a curve. They are flat, which means that the only way they can generate upward force is an angle of attack against the air.

This essentially means that the way to get your plane to fly straight and not fall is applying an angle of attack to construction, or just keeping an upwards angle when flying in general.

I'm not sure if there are any mods that fix this. Honestly, I'm not even sure whether or not they've changed the wings since the last time I've played, which was actually a little while ago.
Nothing important here, move along.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12366 on: September 18, 2015, 07:03:46 pm »

They way overhauled aerodynamics a bit before 1.0
Now lifting bodies are modeled far better than they were before.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12367 on: September 18, 2015, 07:13:47 pm »

The wings are still flat, though, and still act as such. I've played since 1.0, so unless they changed it within the last... 2 months, wings still behave as flat planes that require an AoA, real or artificial, to function.
Nothing important here, move along.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12368 on: September 18, 2015, 08:01:10 pm »

That's just it though, the wings I'm using don't work, angle of attack or not.

I literally had more altitude control with a rocket car.

Indeed, I do this.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12369 on: September 18, 2015, 08:39:43 pm »

In the real world, (most) wings have an upward curve in them. This curve means that air passes more quickly over the top than under the bottom. Higher speed fluids have a lower pressure, which means that the air basically pushes wings up to compensate for the pressure differential.
That's not really correct. Most of the lift in such wings comes from flow turning, not pressure differentials, same as if they were angled flat wings. The Bernoulli lift explanation is a massive oversimplification if not outright wrong in most ways, and I find it frustrating just how prevalent it is.

In KSP, the flat wings are an acceptable tradeoff since they allow you to make a large wing out of several smaller wings and still have your plane (generally) behave as expected. Also, rocket fins. Curved wings would be very bad for those.

Also, I don't think most people know this, but you can adjust trim with Alt + Q/W/E/A/S/D. You can use it to get a plane neutrally balanced, among other things. It's pretty handy. Alt + x resets everything to their default positions.

Have you checked the aerodynamic force indicators (f12) to see if they're actually working? I remember hearing about a bug where wings would just not generate lift for whatever reason. I think blue is the indicator for lift.
                        - Random human lord

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12370 on: September 18, 2015, 09:11:05 pm »

Do you have control surfaces?
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12371 on: September 18, 2015, 10:01:35 pm »

Do you have control surfaces?
Yes

I'll have to take NGN's suggestion and look at it in debug to be sure its not working, but generally when taking the wings OFF gives more lift then leaving them on I assume things aren't working right :P

And before you ask yes the lift is going in the right direction. Wasn't in the first iteration, but fixed that before coming to you guys with the post
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 10:03:15 pm by BFEL »

Indeed, I do this.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12372 on: September 19, 2015, 03:16:48 am »

Yeah, planes are really slow, you're not alone in that.
All you can do is build a super stable plane, put it on physwarp 4 and alt-tab out, it seems.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12373 on: September 19, 2015, 03:25:57 pm »

Well this is frustrating. Preparations for my grand Mars mission have been going well, and I would be sending my first supply mission with a backup Mars Ascent Vehicle, but there's a problem with the crew return capsule that I want to fix first. Specifically, the heat shield randomly stops protecting the capsule during reentry. I've tried everything I can think of to fix it. Repositioning it, using a procedural heat shield instead, even resizing it to twice the diameter of the pod, nothing works.
                        - Random human lord

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12374 on: September 19, 2015, 10:15:55 pm »

Well, after looking in debug the plane wings are generating blue lift upwards, and the control surfaces generate downward yellow...whatever. Not sure if that's normal, maybe the solution is that I'm using TOO MANY control surfaces. That or the thing's just too damn heavy, that's always a possibility.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 823 824 [825] 826 827 ... 848