Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 822 823 [824] 825 826 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1485188 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I tend to keep the parachute cut off speed at around 200 km/h...anything higher and I don't deploy

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile

On entry vehicles that aren't completely insane I tend to fire drogues (if equipped) around 5-6 km above sea level and mains about a kilometer above ground level, a compromise between safety and impatience. I bleed off orbital speed with a shallow entry and I'm well below 200 m/s by the time I deploy mains.

Straight-up suborbital flights can be harder because you don't have as much time to bleed off speed gently in the upper atmosphere. With (for example) my Reusable Tourist Suicide Rocket, there's perhaps a two-second window between "slow enough to not rip the chutes off" and "send in the Kerbals with mops".
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 02:45:34 am by fourpotatoes »

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

Yeah, the problem is that these are still VERY early stage ships. As in cans o boom early.
No adjusting orbit because there is no orbit, there is just up and back down right now...
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

thats why you have to still do your gravity/any turn at the early stages even if you can't reach true orbit...going straight up and back down is suicide

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Yeah, the problem is that these are still VERY early stage ships. As in cans o boom early.
No adjusting orbit because there is no orbit, there is just up and back down right now...
if you cant change your return, change your ascent

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

if you cant change your return, change your ascent

Huh, I have no problem with straight up and down. It helps I usually use two radials instead of one end parachute, which helps slowing down after decelerating to the proper speed considerably. (It's how I usually do tourist early on, just a few solid fuel boosters strapped to an inline and command pod and parachutes)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

I wish tourists would occasionally like to just visit orbit even after you leave the Kerbin system, since tourism missions are perfect for SSTO spaceplanes, and you don't actually get to build spaceplanes until later in the game...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I honestly think tourism should be late game missions...makes no sense for people to want to hop on your fledgling rocket program without proving yourself

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nobody ever said the Kerbal intelligence was restricted to the astronauts.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #12354 on: September 03, 2015, 01:55:17 pm »

So does anybody have advice on how to build a manned rover? I have all the parts I should need, but there's two areas I have major problems with:

1. Testing the rover -- plugging a seat into the rover doesn't seem to create a crewed space, so I can't do any Kerbin-bound testing.
2. Attaching the rover to the lander -- Seems like the easiest way would be to attach it underneath the lander can with a stack decoupler, with landing legs long enough that the rover doesn't impact on landing but not so high that it breaks when detached. But I can't figure out how to build the rover as a standalone so that I can save it and use it as a subassembly.

I want to avoid using the RoverMate because that eats up battery life just by existing, and I want a manned rover that won't necessarily die in the dark (I realize that the wheels do use up a small amount of charge while in motion).

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #12355 on: September 03, 2015, 02:14:27 pm »

to land:

you can attach the lander on top, on small gravity bodies at least - you then get back on land using rcs

or you can land on the lander itself, then detach the top part and land it some meters to the side

to test:

don't bother, low gravity will mess up your lander no matter what :P if you really want, you attach a grider with a capsule and a separatron to the rover, spawn it on the runway and decouple at launch. bonus point to make the decoupler the root part so you can get all the lander of as a subassembly.

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12356 on: September 03, 2015, 02:38:33 pm »

WHY DOES IT KEEP BLOWING UP ON RE ENTRY... I DONT UNDERSTAND.

warrob

• Escaped Lunatic
  • hmmm what would happen if i pulled this lever ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12357 on: September 03, 2015, 02:56:55 pm »

WHY DOES IT KEEP BLOWING UP ON RE ENTRY... I DONT UNDERSTAND.

Aerodynamics, you are going so fast on re-entry that the friction with air brings the temperature to exploding levels. use a heat shield at the bottom of your craft to protect it and make sure it moves down in the right direction.
-sorry for any insult to the English language-

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12358 on: September 03, 2015, 03:02:06 pm »

I generally put the heat shield on top, at least for mk1 capsules. Works pretty well!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile
« Reply #12359 on: September 04, 2015, 11:03:59 pm »

So does anybody have advice on how to build a manned rover?

Testing: If you can roll your vehicle on Kerbin, it'll be even easier to roll it on a low-gravity body. Most of my rovers feature roll cages and self-righting systems. If you use KAS and plan long-duration roving I recommend carrying spare parts.

My standard test regime (for vehicles with KF wheels) involves swerving across the runway trying to amplify oscillations, hard maneuvering while driving cross-grade on slopes, driving into the Administration Building pond, taking jumps off the launchpad and powering over the inevitable results of previous tests obstacles. I've stopped doing much righting-system testing because something that's underpowered on Kerbin can still send the vehicle flying on the Mun.

Source: drove about 200 km on the Mun in a top-heavy giant rover; went up, down and across insane slopes at dangerous speeds, flew two servicing missions so far to replenish spare parts.

(I promise I only drive like a maniac in KSP!)

Delivery: Before I installed mods and started building 40-ton wheeled monstrosities, I was building lightweight stock rovers. After I failed to construct a working Sojourner-style deployment system, I tried the same rover delivery concept you're using, but I had a hard time getting that height compromise right with the fragile stock wheels and I've since switched to using skycranes. LoS boccacc's advice about subassemblies is good and sane, but for an insane rover delivery system I like my Harpy family of launch vehicles, where I drive the payload out to the pad and attach it with a claw.

I briefly flirted with making the rover and the lander be the same vehicle and I'm leaning that way again now that I'm finally planning a crewed interplanetary mission. On a whim I tried putting wheels on my Duna Ascent Vehicle prototype; a few hours later it had turned into something that looks like an IRBM transporter/erector/launcher.
Pages: 1 ... 822 823 [824] 825 826 ... 848