Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 820 821 [822] 823 824 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1485107 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

So the next mod they're making stock is remote tech

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

Also if I read that right you won't just be able to stick a probe on your ship to let scientists/engineers work as pilots. Still another part that does that, but hey, interesting.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I built the SSTO and had a semi-successful test flight. Everything important went well at least.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

After ironing a few bugs out the thing flew like a dream. Going with the aerospikes was definitely the right choice, although a combination probably would have been even better. It had no trouble getting into orbit, reentry was another matter. It didn't survive, and I don't see how any spaceplane can. It only got as low as 80km before it broke up, barely managing to slow down in the thin atmosphere. The cockpit overheated and exploded soon after, RIP Valentina. I thought this version of RO was supposed to stop spaceplanes from burning up but apparently it's not enough for me.

Oh well, I accomplished what I set out to do. It was always going to be a cool but impractical spacecraft, I'll just have to stick to expendable rockets for anything serious.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile

Also if I read that right you won't just be able to stick a probe on your ship to let scientists/engineers work as pilots. Still another part that does that, but hey, interesting.
Exactly. Probe cores now need an antenna link back to mission control to get the SAS features.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A glimpse of my current project:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Once completed it will be able to house up to 144 kerbals with 1000 days of life support. I had originally wanted a 160 kerbal torus station, launching the habitats as straight segments and then using infernal robotics to curve them in orbit. Unfortunately infernal robotics wouldn't cooperate so I have to use these awkward pickaxe-shaped pieces instead. I've also had to deal with a lot of temperature glitches as well and it looks like I will have to send up a crew earlier than I wanted in order to fasten everything down.
                        - Random human lord

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Well, those 144 kerbals would probably grow to hate the place rather quickly.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

True, it would be like being crammed in a passenger airplane for three years. Although, considering the up-scaling RO does, they all have first class seats.
                        - Random human lord

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry life support?  Is that a new mod or?
Nom nom nom

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Life support mods have been around for years

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile

At least a pickaxe shape is dorfy.

Edit: That space station inspired me:
Spoiler: What's this? (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Strike the Mun! (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 03:28:38 pm by fourpotatoes »

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Life support mods have been around for years
I seem to remember them having been around for longer than we've had proper crew.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Erkki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

LKO Taxi has brought an engineer and a scientist bound to a Duna mission(Duna ship still being assembled on orbit, still missing the lander and a fuel module) to get used to zero gravity at the space station. The station has lots of antennae to support probe missions and a science module.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My torus station is finally done. All the segments are docked and linked and it should be sturdy enough to spin up. With a diameter somewhere around 50m it can simulate Earth gravity by spinning at a tolerable 6 rpm. It masses around 380 tonnes, and that with a lot of the RCS propellant used up. Fully fueled, it weighs more than the ISS. It's definitely the largest and most complex thing I've assembled in orbit.

I'm glad the building process is complete. Maneuvering six 50+ tonne, awkwardly shaped components so they dock with less than half a degree of difference between them is no easy task. The glitches certainly made things more frustrating. I even had to redo a section because it was lost to a heating glitch. For whatever reason, one of the compartments was producing heat at an exponential rate. I had to use the cheat to prevent it from constantly exploding, but the heat just kept building up. It superheated its entire section and I had to let it explode before the whole station followed suit. Before I turned off the cheat, the part had reached a temperature 30% hotter than the core of the Sun.
                        - Random human lord

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

All the segments are docked and linked and it should be sturdy enough to spin up.
GURREN LAGANN! SPIN ON!
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 820 821 [822] 823 824 ... 848