Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 817 818 [819] 820 821 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1485239 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Because I wanna make a atmosphere entering lander that's reusable and not having to strap heatshields errywhere would be awesome.
Make ablator pumpable, add it to the resources that can be created from ore. Boom, reusable lander. :P

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Did it!

Had to make the crew quarters and the lab a two parter since it just made the rocket way too big and unstable when trying to send them together. And aside from the time I forgot to deploy the solar panels on the habitat ship and had to relaunch it all again since it was drone operated it went pretty smoothly, heck, even docking has become a bit of a routine it seems.

Naturally, I had no idea how labs functioned so now I have to send up a fourth ship with nothing but science experiments to provide a nice amount of data for the lab to process. Luckily I made all the parts of the station have docking ports on all sides so expansion is pretty easy this way.

After this I'll try and seriously look at going to another planet, atleast with a drone or something, my lander designs are pretty shitty still.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

After this I'll try and seriously look at going to another planet, atleast with a drone or something, my lander designs are pretty shitty still.
Then go to Eve, on Eve you can land a space station with a drogue chute. do not actually try this please
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...and never leave again.

Though maybe now you could parachute down a refinery and leave in a smaller rocket?

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...and never leave again.

Though maybe now you could parachute down a refinery and leave in a smaller rocket?
Or use Interstellar with its cheatengines :P

My planned Eve exit vehicle will be one big thermal turbojet with four radial Swivel's, or even better, those silly magnet engines with the same thrust but infinity+1 isp.

Indeed, I do this.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've been trying to do the missions from the historic mission pack with Realism Overhaul, but contract configurator seems to hate my guts.

It started by throwing out fatal exceptions every five seconds because the guy who made the mission pack forgot to switch "Mun" with "Moon" for the Lunkhod missions. Then, when I fixed it myself, it caused the game to freeze while loading the save for some reason. So I fixed that but it erased all my mission progress. Then a while later it started freezing again, but I managed to revert to a quicksave without losing everything. Except now, just after I completed the Mariner 2 Venus flyby, if I time accelerate a day or so the game will freeze again for no apparent reason. I just want to get to some of the more interesting missions, dammit.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile

In an attempt to launch a space Winnebago mech rollerskate heavy construction rover, I decided to construct a cruciform launch vehicle with a claw in the middle and rockets at its four points. The vehicle uses Launch Stability Enhancers and hydraulic rails from Infernal Robotics to lower itself onto the payload.

The first version proved to be too small and to not have enough lift height for easy attachment. The second version was easy to drive underneath and dock to; unfortunately, it seems that grabbing the payload makes the launch pad explode.
Spoiler: Oops (click to show/hide)
Thanks to the Launch Stability Enhancers the vessel seems to be intact, so I'm going to try to fly it.

Edit 1: Also, I should really start launching these things uncrewed. I seem to have developed a bad habit of building vehicles with no survivable abort modes before reaching orbit.

Edit 2: ... as the flight's outcome proved. Not having learned my lesson, I'm going to change staging to let the engines throttle up before releasing the rocket.

Edit 3: Thanks to more struts, TCA maneuver engines and a straight-up ascent profile, the construction rover is now parked in Munar orbit waiting for me to decide where to land it. Meanwhile on the ground, the ISRU rover has gone almost 50 km as the space-crow flies and rendezvoused with an unkerballed supply ship to load up on spare parts. Despite catching air (vacuum?) frequently while speeding across the terrain, I've managed to avoid rolling it again by driving with SAS on and being very careful cornering.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2015, 02:45:40 am by fourpotatoes »

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Fixed the contract mod issue. It turned out everything was being caused by the Lunkhod missions I originally edited, they're gone now. As for how they could have such an effect, I have no idea.

Just had a mission almost end in disaster, but managed to save it at the last second. The mission was the Soyuz-2 and 3 rendezvous. I had just brought the encounter distance down to 2km but failed to realize my perigee was now in the atmosphere. I was just barely skimming it with the lowest point reaching only 110km (the edge of the atmosphere is 130km with RSS) but with deadly reentry it was still very dangerous.

I was worried when a couple lights and some RCS ports blew up, but after I started gaining altitude again I was satisfied nothing important was going to burn up. I let my guard down and, while I wasn't paying attention, the spacecraft drifted and ended up with its side facing the wind. Before I could correct this the decoupler between the descent module and the service module exploded, leaving the craft adrift with no control or propulsion aside from the pod's inbuilt RCS.

I could have aborted the mission and waited for the orbit to decay, but there was one option left salvage it, risky though it may be. The aerobraking had actually improved my encounter and even with the lack of control at the end it was still under 500m. If the pilot could complete the encounter in EVA, she could take over the unmanned Soyuz-2. I figured it was worth a shot, even though the target was in a 250km circular orbit. She made it with barely any fuel to spare. She has one trial left: surviving reentry. My first Soyuz pod had deadly problems with aerodynamics once it got deep in the atmosphere. I attempted to fix it for this mission but it's untested. The danger isn't over yet.

Edit: My fix worked, and it was one of the smoothest reentries I've done. Never even got to 4g, Success!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 01:14:06 am by nogoodnames »
                        - Random human lord

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Really? In real life by 100 kilometres the air density is like 0.000001 atmospheres, RSS should probably do something about that if they're going for realism, I think adding additional settings in the physics file for Drag below the "key = 25 1 0 0" setting might do it.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, seemed weird to me too. Heating still seems a bit wonky. my Venera lander couldn't even get close to Venus, the probe body just spontaneously exploded a few seconds after it touched the atmosphere despite its heatshield. Even stranger, on my first attempt where I went in much steeper, the probe lasted until the pressure got to be too much for the heat shield. Hopefully it gets better once it's updated to 1.04.
                        - Random human lord

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

FINALLY got that damn Minmus rocket I had been working on into orbit. Usually don't have so much trouble with these things, but this one just wanted to flip upside down no matter what I did.

Was basically a makeshift lander on top of asparagus Twin-Boars. Had to do a full straight up ascent profile (I have actually been getting good at gravity turns, so this is now abnormal) to keep the bastard from pointing the wrong end towards space.

Still, after it got out of the atmosphere it performed beautifully, practically landed on the last Twin-Boar it had so much delta-v. Ended up going to 3 biomes, then getting a quick sun orbit before coming back and landing on Kerbin.

Much science was had. After a few more fundraising contracts I can grab the last R&D upgrade, then the REAL fun can begin.

Indeed, I do this.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

This http://imgur.com/a/0k5PE
EDIT: Holy crap big image.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I love The F-22 Raptor so I thought I would build The F-22 Raptor.  Here is The F-22 Raptor that I built.  It's a stock The F-22 Raptor.  I know it isn't much but making an The F-22 Raptor means a lot to me so I made an The F-22 Raptor and wanted to share it with people who also like The F-22 Raptor.
Reminded me of an artefact so I came up with this:
This is a stock The F-22 Raptor. All craftkermanship is of the highest The F-22 Raptor. It is encrusted with The F-22 raptor and encircled with bands of The F-22 Raptor. This object menaces with spikes of The F-22 Raptor. On the The F-22 Raptor is an image of The F-22 Raptor in Raptor bone. The The F-22 Raptor is Raptoring. The artwork relates to the completion of the The F-22 Raptor by the mostly stock except for mechjeb, Engineer Redux and a whole bunch of other shit in r/KerbalSpaceProgram in 1.0.4. On the The F-22 Raptor is an image of Valentina Kerman the Kerbal and a The F-22 Raptor in Raptor bone. The Kerbal is Raptoring the The F-22 Raptor. The Raptor is making a Raptoring gesture. The Kerbal is Laughing. On the The F-22 Raptor is an image of snacks in Raptor cheese.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 12:26:44 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Why did they use rapier engines, I wonder. Was it just for looks, or do they intend for it to be a space plane? It confuses me.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not enough The F-22 Raptor

Why did they use rapier engines, I wonder. Was it just for looks, or do they intend for it to be a space plane? It confuses me.
Did you even raptor The albumF-22 Raptor?!

Indeed, I do this.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

No, I did not. Mostly because I assumed that it was just the one image.

Well, I guess assuming has lived up to its goal of making an ass of the two of us.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 817 818 [819] 820 821 ... 848