Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 815 816 [817] 818 819 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1485298 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was just starting to get comfy with my current mod lineup, too.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

Reading the changelog, sounds like I'll have to learn how to fly planes all over again.  Not too bad considering I never had a good handle on it before.

Hopefully KerbalEngineer gets updated soon, if it doesn't still work.  People can complain about flight-info mods all they want, the simple fact is NASA does not send craft into orbit with unit-less gauges and a stopwatch for instrumentation.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

I use KE because the info is useful and because big data readouts look cool

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Reading the changelog, sounds like I'll have to learn how to fly planes all over again.  Not too bad considering I never had a good handle on it before.

Hopefully KerbalEngineer gets updated soon, if it doesn't still work.  People can complain about flight-info mods all they want, the simple fact is NASA does not send craft into orbit with unit-less gauges and a stopwatch for instrumentation.

seems a good moment as any to link this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6JGNiMMU0c

(but I agree completely I'm not flocking you)

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile

1.0.4 already? What was so broken in 1.0.3?

Edit: Ah. "We’ve just released a small patch to resolve an issue some users were having with craft in saves created in KSP 1.0.3 that were not loading properly, and became uncontrollable. "
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 06:18:22 pm by BigFatStupidHead »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

So I'm at that point where I've exhausted most science sources around Kerbin. What's left is finally figuring out docking and figuring out how the hell would I expand to the other planets of the system.

Duna seems closest and easiest for that, there's even a contract for exploring it, but I'm still completely clueless as to how I'd go about doing that.

Oh well, time to do what I always do, build a needlessly large rocket and then fiddle with it until it kinda-sorta-maybe works as it should :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Getting to duna isn't much harder than getting to the mun. You just need a good departure window.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't know if anyone has collected all the aerobraking numbers yet. That's the easiest way to plan for Duna or Eve. You need far less dV.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

The numbers will be very different now with the new atmospheric heating and such.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile

The numbers will be very different now with the new atmospheric heating and such.
Also of course due to the new drag model. But even without aerobraking you can theoretically land on Gilly using less delta-v than you need to land on the Mün.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Think my bigger problem is getting there first :P

Also I really should get me a mod that calculates dV already. Eyballing stuff can get tedius, mostly because it involves so much trial and error (oh your lifter got you nicely out of orbit, but this time you fell just short of making a mun transfer? too bad, do it all over again).
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Either 12km or 10km was a good Duna number.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

Think my bigger problem is getting there first :P

Also I really should get me a mod that calculates dV already. Eyballing stuff can get tedius, mostly because it involves so much trial and error (oh your lifter got you nicely out of orbit, but this time you fell just short of making a mun transfer? too bad, do it all over again).

All about them departure times. There's a protractor mod that calculates that for you in game, and also a internet app thing that will do it out of game somewhere.
But then if you don't have life support mods or anything like that you can just get into orbit and mess with maneuver nodes every few months to find a good one.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Transfer angle calculator here: http://ksp.olex.biz/
Transfer window planner here: http://alexmoon.github.io/ksp/
I don't completely trust the dV numbers on any of those, but that's mostly because my transfers are always horribly inefficient, though sometimes I have managed with less than a calculator has suggested.
If you're unsure I recommend launching a simple test mission with far more dV than you should actually need long in advance of any more complicated and expensive missions.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 ... 815 816 [817] 818 819 ... 848