Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 799 800 [801] 802 803 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1489111 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mun landing made simple: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmbUelyCdQw

Laythe SSTO pre 1.0 (with a couple detours on the way back) sans parachutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVj2fyJ4grc

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile

Since we're talking landing advice, does anyone have good tips for targeted atmospheric landings? I haven't yet figured out a good way to put down anywhere near where I want to be with all that annoying "air" stuff in the way.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

Since we're talking landing advice, does anyone have good tips for targeted atmospheric landings? I haven't yet figured out a good way to put down anywhere near where I want to be with all that annoying "air" stuff in the way.
If you aren't on Laythe, you can still simulate a plane with a rocket engine.  Alternatively, you can cancel all movement relative to the surface and fall straight down. If none of that appeals to you. Mechjeb has a module that gives an approximate landing location with a big red x.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

So as I mentioned previously, having trouble with USI Kolonization using both TAC Lifesupport and its own crappy life support thing.

Tried getting help on the actual thread, but response was pretty much "Your computer is literally haunted" so here's screenshots of the relevant folders, anyone familiar know what I should be deleting/moving etc.? Note that I want to use TAC, not the crapsupport it comes with.

Spoiler: HELP PLOX (click to show/hide)
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

CKAN makes installing, uninstalling, and updating mods so much easier. I highly recommend it.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

CKAN makes installing, uninstalling, and updating mods so much easier. I highly recommend it.
I second this, despite the system still showing some known incompatible mods with 1.0. It's still just such a great tool.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

But then I don't have the smug satisfaction of wading through the games files with my own mouse and deleting my problems!
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But then I don't have the smug satisfaction of wading through the games files with my own mouse and deleting my problems!

*insert smug satisfaction of not using TAC or CKAN*

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yay! Succesfully made and used a two piece lander/orbiter combo to send jeb down to get a delicious pail of moon dust to take back in my career game. 400 science for the trip and everything, and I managed to re-dock succsefully and get home!

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

I'm not sure what your problem is, I have a clean install running MKS which I have changed from USI life support to TAC, then back to USI life support again with no problems, each change successfully modified the Pioneer module to producing the correct resources :s
You might try diagnosing the problem the way I generally do when I'm running too many mods at once, take a clean install of KSP, then install only the newest version of MKS (30.4), and TAC life support 11.1.20 and see if it works. Then try shoving in other mods until something breaks.
I just checked my game, the tech tree correctly displays oxygen, water and food production on MKS modules.

EDIT: btw I just found a bug in the MKS configuration file for TAC lie support, Pioneer modules and Kerbitat's are only producing half the resources they should, effectively cutting efficiency down to 25% or 45%.
The fix is to open the TAC-LS.cfg file in the Umbra space industries/Kolonization folder and change the Output resource for food, water and oxygen for both the Pioneer and Kerbitat to the following values:
Code: [Select]
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
ResourceName = Food
Ratio =  0.000033854166666
DumpExcess = False
}
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
ResourceName = Water
Ratio = 0.000022376157408
DumpExcess = False
}
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
ResourceName = Oxygen
Ratio = 0.00342707512477
DumpExcess = False
}
I suggest backing up the old file in case you make a mistake, make sure the backup doesn't end in .cfg otherwise it will get loaded as well.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 11:43:13 pm by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well after hours of headache-inducing frustration I'm about ready to give up on calculating this. I don't know if I'm missing something or making a false assumption somewhere but I just can't seem to get the numbers to make sense. So I just threw a dozen of the biggest liquid fuel tanks and a bunch of engines together in the VAB and it looks like the best mass ratio you can get for a LF-only SSTO while maintaining a reasonable TWR is around 3. You might be able to make it to Laythe and back on that, but the margins would be razor thin. As much as I dread the thought of ion burns lasting multiple hours, it may be the only way.

There is one possible alternative. A small amount of oxidizer -just enough to ease the initial ascent- might be the key to beating the TWR requirements. Once on Laythe, the fuel burned getting there and the slightly weaker gravity would allow you to make orbit on the nukes. If it's at all feasible I intend to find out.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

So is there anything special about building an outpost vs. an orbital station?

Other than the benefit of not having to worry about pieces floating away while moving them into docking position, and having to worry about this large, hard barrier thing called the ground?

Do all the pieces of the outpost have to be docked together? I'm working on my first Munbase and trying to decide whether to put the whole thing on stilts or let the modules rest on the ground.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In the past, and probably still true due to the physics engine being the way it is, objects not on wheels or legs can bounce on the ground upon vehicle load. They might explode. They might fly up at 100m/s and then come down and explode. They might sink into the ground. Overall, bad things happen.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Well, my first module did okay. Basically, I landed it on a three radial-mount thruster stage, then once it was landed, I detached the upper stage with the module and used RCS to drift it over and slowly down into place. it has a docking port, but I'm worried that ground occlusion might make lining up future docking ports a bit tricky.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Legs and wheels are big reasons to use docking ports. They help standardize your height and give you wiggle room to maneuver.

Switch back and forth between KSC and your vehicles and tell me how many it takes before something explodes. Do a little time warp at both locations as well. Engines have pretty good survivability for impacts so they may be okay, but I wouldn't trust them long term.
Pages: 1 ... 799 800 [801] 802 803 ... 848