Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 794 795 [796] 797 798 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1489157 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

I don't get your dislike for KER.
I don't dislike it! I just never downloaded it :P
I probably should.

Anyway, anyone have any help on the USI thing? Not sure how to make it play nice with TAC.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've done some testing with fairings, and it appears that the most efficient ones are pointier until the increased weight makes them less efficient.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've done some testing with fairings, and it appears that the most efficient ones are pointier until the increased weight makes them less efficient.

Check this out: 
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/122595-Some-rough-test-results-with-different-nosecones

Its a 1.25 test rocket, so the 2.5 cone is not fairly treated.  But it is really great data on performance.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Tail connector A?

woooot

also why are air intakes better than nosecones

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because they suck air in and pull it through the aircraft and out the engine. Cones are just a way to split the air around the craft like a knife as opposed to a flat surface.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, since when did kerbals get super durable? It seems like going EVA in Kerbin atmosphere is almost always a viable way to survive a craft now. It's like, I don't even have to worry about my kerbals if I lose my parachutes or something. They can just jump out and bounce weirdly on the ground.
Since forever. You have to be able to get them to land right but if you do they just bounce a lot.

If I recall, it's the helmet. They land on the helmet, they survive.

(this is assuming you don't already use MechJeb and that you don't really want to start using it)

Just use MechJeb is in the vehicle editor to make sure you have sufficient dV, then delete the part before launch.

Now you'll know whether you suck at building ships or if you just suck at piloting them :P

I'm pretty sure the in-game statistics tab tells you your /\V
what in-game statistics tab
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The "Engineer's Report" icon in the bottom right of the screen in the VAB. It doesn't tell you the delta-V, but it does tell you the mass so you can calculate dV with the rocket equation. I've been using it instead of MechJeb or Engineer since I wanted to keep the game vanilla before going on a massive modding binge.

Well the "Solitude Mk. 1" SSTLAB is scrapped. I'm not leaving KSP running for days at a time while making ion burns. I went back to the drawing board and tried a more minimalistic design. I ended up with something about 60 tonnes and with theoretically enough fuel to get the job done but not enough TWR to make orbit. It's like one of Zeno's paradoxes. As soon as I get enough fuel mass, it needs more engines, I add more engines, it needs more fuel, etc. I know it balances out somewhere, but where?
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had a kerbonaut fall through Eve's atmosphere and not die when he hit the ground (but I don't remember whether he landed on his head). He wasn't using his jetpack at the time, as he ran out of fuel before reaching the ground (I tried to push him towards the nearby sea).
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

I had a kerbonaut fall through Eve's atmosphere and not die when he hit the ground (but I don't remember whether he landed on his head). He wasn't using his jetpack at the time, as he ran out of fuel before reaching the ground (I tried to push him towards the nearby sea).
You can drop almost anything into eve and have it survive so long as it doesn't overheat. The atmosphere is like syrup. I had a probe land unpowered with no parachutes on EVE with no damage

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know it balances out somewhere, but where?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr8KOst68cQ

Two things:

1. That was back when you could get to orbital velocities with jet engines alone.

2. He didn't worry about coming back.

Jet engines now top out at about 1000 m/s, and even if you have the TWR required to break that, any faster and you start burning up.

I've ruled out ion engines since I'd need a truly absurd number of parts to get any reasonable acceleration. I could get that mod that allows engines to run in time warp, but I want this to be 100% stock. That leaves nuclear engines, which simplifies the equations somewhat since I only need to worry about one type of fuel rather than three. I just wish I had paid more attention in optimization class.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 04:21:17 pm by nogoodnames »
                        - Random human lord

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

RAPIERs can get you significantly more thrust than jet engines. I doubt it'll work with that monstrosity due to drag, but I believe I showed a small jet earlier that had one rapier, a precooler, and a nose-intake which could take off and aim straight up and reach 75km. Of course that was with no scientific equipment or means of doing anything useful once it got there.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I had looked at the RAPIER before moving on to turbojets, but from what I saw they were not much better and less efficient. Now that I look at it again I see that, at least with high TWR craft, they can build up more speed and, more importantly, operate at higher altitudes. I'll have to see how well they work on something bigger, thanks.
                        - Random human lord

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You may want to use plane old turbojet (not ramjet) engines to climb to 10km. They're extremely efficient compared to the other jet engines.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You may want to use plane old turbojet (not ramjet) engines to climb to 10km. They're extremely efficient compared to the other jet engines.
I know, but they're also pretty heavy for their power output. If I did that, I would have to dedicate around an eighth of the ship to basic jets. Past the sound barrier where the RAPIER and Ramjet really start to pick up is where most of the fuel use is anyway.

I've built a 50 tonne test SSTO that can theoretically get around 7000 delta-V from its NERVA, but it keeps burning up during ascent.
                        - Random human lord
Pages: 1 ... 794 795 [796] 797 798 ... 848