Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 785 786 [787] 788 789 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1489441 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

The single booster stage on my first Mun/Minmus rocket can bring me literally to 20km :P

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler: My Latest Project (click to show/hide)

It's a plane that carries a spaceplane. The main part was easy to build but the smaller plane took some tweaking to get it working.

Edit: How do I get an album embedded?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 04:51:54 pm by TheDarkStar »
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile

Don't think the forums support album embedding. You'll have to give a link to the album if you want others to see it.

Also, is there any way to avoid the overheat indicator memory leak? I've got a ship I really want to land, but I can't avoid partial overheating of parts during re-entry, and therefore the game crashes whenever I try landing it.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Don't think the forums support album embedding. You'll have to give a link to the album if you want others to see it.

Also, is there any way to avoid the overheat indicator memory leak? I've got a ship I really want to land, but I can't avoid partial overheating of parts during re-entry, and therefore the game crashes whenever I try landing it.
f10 turns the overlay off

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile

f10 turns the overlay off
There are also some good mods to replace it. I'll dig around and find links for you.

Edit: Here we go.
This turns it off at the start of each flight automatically.
And this is a very nice alternative to the stock heat overlay.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 09:11:31 pm by BigFatStupidHead »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Okay, need some orbital mechanics help. I have a contract to put a satellite into a specific orbit, and I've almost got it but something is wrong on the angle.

The ascending/descending nodes line up and the apoapsis/periapsis are the right distances. The inclination is even the right amount (15.5 degrees), but it seems to be in the wrong direction?

But if I have MechJeb calculate a -15.5 inclination orbit, it's way out of line with this. Maybe I don't have the right terminology, and it's something other than inclination that needs to change??

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile

So I managed to create a airbreathing jet capable of 1 minute of out of orbit flight, go over 1km/s at 90 degrees, survive rentry, fly with out wings, and finally land for all intents and purpose intact! Just don't activate the emergency RCS in atmos or poor Jeb ain't coming home.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Okay, need some orbital mechanics help. I have a contract to put a satellite into a specific orbit, and I've almost got it but something is wrong on the angle.

The ascending/descending nodes line up and the apoapsis/periapsis are the right distances. The inclination is even the right amount (15.5 degrees), but it seems to be in the wrong direction?

But if I have MechJeb calculate a -15.5 inclination orbit, it's way out of line with this. Maybe I don't have the right terminology, and it's something other than inclination that needs to change??
Well... assuming you're orbiting the right way then this isn't too bad. You will want to burn normal/antinormal at the point where your orbit intersects the target orbit. Use a maneuver node to plot it out.

(Or give me your save and I'll show you what I mean. Its hard to explain)

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

forsaken has the right advice to fix the issue. I believe the orbital characteristic you have to fix is called the argument of the periapsis. If you look down on Kerbin from the north pole, it should be more obvious where the difference is.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Well... assuming you're orbiting the right way then this isn't too bad. You will want to burn normal/antinormal at the point where your orbit intersects the target orbit. Use a maneuver node to plot it out.

Aha! Worked like a champ (and had just enough delta-V left to do it, too). Had to tweak the periapsis a bit in a secondary burn, but no biggie.

I and the Probodobodyne Corporation thank you.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Aha! Worked like a champ (and had just enough delta-V left to do it, too). Had to tweak the periapsis a bit in a secondary burn, but no biggie.

I and the Probodobodyne Corporation thank you.
Cheers!

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

Yeah, satellites are pretty much all like that. Get to orbit, burn till apoapse matches the closest part of the orbit, circularize there, burn at whichever purple (normal/antinormal?) marker rotates your orbit the right way, repeat till satisfied.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Woohoo! Managed to land my first Munar probe. Unfortunately, I landed it on the side of a crater, and it tipped over and rolled about 100m. Still, good enough to count and good enough to perform and transmit all the tasty science I had packed onto it. Then I used what fuel I had left to accelerate it across the crater floor until it explosively disassembled.

No point in leaving trash lying around. (If it had landed properly, I would have left it as a monument for future Kerbonauts to admire...)

Now I have proper ladders and can try to replicate the same thing with a manned lander. Which is terrifying.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Woohoo! Managed to land my first Munar probe. Unfortunately, I landed it on the side of a crater, and it tipped over and rolled about 100m. Still, good enough to count and good enough to perform and transmit all the tasty science I had packed onto it. Then I used what fuel I had left to accelerate it across the crater floor until it explosively disassembled.

No point in leaving trash lying around. (If it had landed properly, I would have left it as a monument for future Kerbonauts to admire...)

Now I have proper ladders and can try to replicate the same thing with a manned lander. Which is terrifying.

Don't forget to pick up your trash after that manned lander....
Pages: 1 ... 785 786 [787] 788 789 ... 848