Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 779 780 [781] 782 783 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1489112 times)

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile

Wow, okay. I think the game hates me. I'm on my return trip from my first minmus flyby, when suddenly, without any thrust at all, I get a Mun encounter that sends me into a Kerbin escape trajectory.

I honestly don't even know how that's possible.
Gravity assists are potentially incredibly fun. :P

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

And dont forget to check those bodies that get in the way.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

do remind me, do we still have that bay mp ksp server going on? what is the most commonly used mod for that nowadays?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

that's the server : http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=150285.0

currently running "unmodded" 1.0.2 campaign (you can still use non part mods, like mechjeb and engineering for all)

this evening I'll collect the mods poll results and prepare a ckan configuration for it

I was thinking on a big inauguration event with the launch of the first kerbin science station - I don't know how many unlocked docking parts but it should be easy enough for all to get on board and get some science while doing it!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 07:36:58 am by LoSboccacc »

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Where do I want my centers of thrust, mass, and lift to stop my planes from flopping around? Finally fiddling a bit with planes in career mode (not many parts yet) and I keep lifting off then flipping over...

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Center of mass slightly in front of center of lift, all three lined up in a row.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So Mass, then Lift, then Thrust?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This is a very good tutorial on it...for an older version so some of the aerodynamics stuff it references has changed but its all still accurate when t comes to plane designs

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, I finally did most I could do in the kerbin system, and am ready to leave it. While I already have a small probe travelling to Duna, I want to step up to manned missions, which are going to require a larger craft.

I was thinking about a modular ship, assembled in orbit.
a command module with crew and habitats ( an hitchicker module or 2, they need space to move)
a service module with electricity generation and storage, monopropellant, oxydizer to refuel the lander, antenna ( and liquid fuel, but all stages will have liquid fuel)
a mining module, with drills and ISRU module, plus an orbital mineral scanner, possibly a ground scanner and of course fuel tanks ( meant to land on small moons to extract fuel, able to fly independently, possibly as an escape craft in case I don't find viable minerals and I don't have enough Dv to return the whole craft)
an engine module, with nuclear engines ( was thinking 6 considering the size, although heat exchange may be a killer)
a lander, obviously, at least Duna rated

Do you think the plan is complete? I was thinking perhaps of angling the nuclear engines outward and adding an MK3 ablator plate behind them, to allow for aerobraking. How horribly dangerous is that?
Should I add another fuel module in there?

edit: Was thinking of making a last minmus mission to unlock the vernor engine and use that. Is the extra thrust and simplified logistics of not using monopropellant worth it?
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 10:57:42 am by andrea »

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

This is a very good tutorial on it...for an older version so some of the aerodynamics stuff it references has changed but its all still accurate when t comes to plane designs

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As a note, anything he says requires FAR to work will work roughly as explained in KSP now. Specifically, swept wings and aerodynamic surfaces are more important than minimizing parts to minimize drag.
Nothing important here, move along.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was thinking on a big inauguration event with the launch of the first kerbin science station - I don't know how many unlocked docking parts but it should be easy enough for all to get on board and get some science while doing it!
Oh, um... oops. I just built a small science station. Want me to deorbit it?
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

no worries! just saw that. it will be our hub!

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay then. You can rename it if you want. Right now it has a crew capsule, a lab and enough solar panels to power it.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's a great tutorial, thanks!

And on a very serious note, does anyone else find themselves talking to mission control when playing KSP? Announcing stage separations, doing countdowns, giving etas etc.? Or am I the only crazy one here...

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 ... 779 780 [781] 782 783 ... 848