Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 777 778 [779] 780 781 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1489164 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Got land speed record of 442 m/s I think with my jet car. Will upload pics tomorrow.

I also tried to ssto into space, but underwent rapid unplanned disassembly because I forgot to set a hotkey for turning off the jets. Then the laptop ran out of juice.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was feeling nostalgic so I went back to some of the very early releases and did a Mun mission. It was refreshing to return to flying by eye and designing rockets through gut feeling and experience without any math to back it up

This is why I play without the mecha/engineering/calculator/autopilot mods that everyone seems to use.  For me, the game is most fun trying to eyeball things and shooting from the hip.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

HEY I TAKE OFFENSE TO THAT

nah just kidding it's perfectly fine to play any game any way you want and mods only facilitate that goal GO TEAM PLAY-HOW-YOU-WANT

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile

I was feeling nostalgic so I went back to some of the very early releases and did a Mun mission. It was refreshing to return to flying by eye and designing rockets through gut feeling and experience without any math to back it up

This is why I play without the mecha/engineering/calculator/autopilot mods that everyone seems to use.  For me, the game is most fun trying to eyeball things and shooting from the hip.

I definitely see the appeal in this as someone who's been playing since before the Mun was added, but I'm horrible at calculating stuff so I pretty much always relied on tips and walkthru's to actually send a craft anywhere.

I still don't use any autopilot type mods (mostly because I've never had any luck getting them to install correctly and they always come with a bunch of extraneous crap I don't want).  But I am considering it with the gameplay requirements of Career mode.  Namely the fact that I find myself flying identical missions to build up science points or stockpile money with tourist flights.  Having something to at least refly the tedious missions for me would be pretty great.  Space-station assembly is another good candidate since I hate trying to plot orbital rendezvous, always get the intercept wrong by a kilometer and then everything I do afterwards just pushes it further apart.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

mostly I use it for dv, I have very limited gaming time so trial and error is not just unfun to me, it's aggravating.

I mean, I can eyeball mun/minums requirements, but beyond that it's annoying to miss duna by 100dv missing. that's a hour wasted and I have not many :(

I agree that failures are part of the fun, but I prefer to fail messing up spectacularly staging order, the descent burn or anything that is actually my fault and result of a direct action, failing one hour in because I missied 100dv at construction time is just annoying to me

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

I use engineer for delta-v calculation and planning, I use mechjeb to calculate transfers and orbital maneuvers. I still fly everything manually, with all the expected fuckups that come with that.

I know mechjeb has a delta-v calculation as well but I have found engineer's to be much more precise and better about staging detection

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

I use mechjeb with sandbox when I'm testing stuff, usually modded parts, I can just turn on auto whatever and watch things get done automatically.
Saves me some time for finding errors, I have more fun building things ,and tend to screw up  WSADQE at critical points during launch anyway :p
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

I use Mechjeb for getting into orbit.  I've done several hundred, if not over a thousand, launches, and after a while they all start to blend together.  Five to ten minutes of watching a fuel gauge slowly trickle down with my finger on the space bar.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

I made another LF-only SSTO spaceplane! It can now dock and deliver small cargo! :D

(click for imgur album)

And that probably sums up my disposition towards any flight assist plugins. For me, making a spacecraft, flying it, identifying the issues it has, painstakingly remaking it, and flying it again, is the perfect KSP experience. Every launch is unique, every design is a unique building experience. I don't need shortcuts through my favorite parts of the game. :)
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

How do you guys arm your space fighters? I can't figure out a way that makes it not super painful to launch missiles which also allows re-arming planes...

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Besides BD Armory?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

The easiest way to rearm would be to open the craft file and paste new missiles onto the docking rings, if you're apt for that kind of thing.
Otherwise tedium is the name of the game. Quicksaves are also quite helpful.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

If your missiles are under-wing and are attached by side-mounted docking ports, you could have a reloader craft. A specialized rig that holds a full complement of missiles attached by docking ports on the other side, that you maneuver into place, multi-dock with the craft (putting all missiles in their places), and undock to leave the craft fully reloaded. If you pre-set the missile engines to the same action groups as your craft used, they will even still launch with those action groups.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

How do you guys arm your space fighters? I can't figure out a way that makes it not super painful to launch missiles which also allows re-arming planes...
Well if you use Kerbal Construction Time mod you can recover vessels after landing them, modify them (aka add missiles) and then relaunch them only paying the difference in cost + a little time

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

anyone know what's causing this issue or had seen it on the mod section before?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

it's either one of distant object enhancement, environmental visual enhancements or planet shine
Pages: 1 ... 777 778 [779] 780 781 ... 848