Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 775 776 [777] 778 779 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1489212 times)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

it is roughly the size of the universe. This is not necessarily conducive to the "being a torpedo" thing.

I dunno. For torpedoes, I'd say bigger is better.

Yeah, but torpedoes are generally smaller than the thing they're trying to hit.
Also supposed to be smaller then the thing that is launching them.
NOT DWARVEN ENOUGH!!!
Thats closer to what torp should be, there is no kill if there is no overkill. Hell dont we atom-smash gobbo for fun?
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile

Persistent Rotation has updated to 1.02, and no longer requires Toolbar.

I've started integrating the rocket equation into designing and flying my ships; I'm pulling off orbital docking so quickly and effortlessly it's shocking, and problems that once seemed insurmountable are now becoming routine. I might be getting good at this game.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You've been able to put probe cores and parachutes on discarded stages for a while, but the physics range was only like 5km before.  now i think its 20-some km. 

Things in flight and in atmosphere despawn, but if it reaches the ground then it is safe.  I was hoping someone had a trick with low deployment altitude parachutes or other such cleverness, that would let them reach the ground in a reasonable time.  medium sized SRB's might not be a big deal, but if your first stage is KD25K's or high end liquid engines, it's good to be able to make some sort of recovery.

The problem for me is that I tend to want to lift such heavy things, that every little bit of weight is significant.  If I ditch a first stage early enough to land safely before im 20k off the ground, it probably wont be big enough to be valuable (though I guess a dozen SRBs start to add up).  Or I wont want to waste the weight on retrorockets.

And say we're talking about those KD25Ks... Adding a flea retrorocket and parachutes nearly doubles the price and adds about 1.5 tons.  Seems like it isnt really worth it.

Would be a different story for a cluster of Mammoths or something, but I can't imagine any way to get those to the ground safely... Or really any scenario where I would ditch them before I was at least 10-15km up, and then theres no way they'd reach the ground before I got past 20.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, and I tried putting chutes on them, and I was able to recover the ones I dropped immediately after launching, but... there was no refund or anything for recovering them in stock. Putting a probe core on them worked, but that added even more expense, and worrying they'd run out of energy - and it wouldn't work once I was getting into orbit anyways.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

you get the refund (watch your funds level) but you just dont get the popup message.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile

I can't create rockets for putting very heavy stuff into LKO (4000-5000 m/s Δv at least) that aren't overcomplicated and completely uncontrollable contraptions with double or even triple asparagus staging and truckloads of struts, solid fuel boosters, Vernor engines and delta-wings.
Does anyone have any tips on constructing reliable super-heavy launch vehicles?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 11:57:35 am by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can't create rockets for putting very heavy stuff into LKO (4000-5000 m/s Δv at least) that aren't overcomplicated and completely uncontrollable contraptions with double or even triple asparagus staging and truckloads of struts, solid fuel boosters, Vernor engines and delta-wings.
Does anyone have any tips on constructing reliable super-heavy launch vehicles?

Engineer or MechJeb so that you know what your dV will be as you build. You can build very simple lifters with 2.5m parts that will get 100+ tons to orbit. Look up "Zenith Lifter" and see how they're built. The craft files are too old to work properly. Zenith's are asparagus. Munshine has nice designs. They are super simple two stage affairs.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

Is there a way to get steam to automatically play the 32 bit version?  64 bit breaks my mods, and going through the launcher every time I want to play is annoying.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Finally made an LF-only SSTO spaceplane. It's pretty neat! Doesn't do much besides reach orbit and get back right now, but works!

That poor little front wheel was glowing yellow after reaching orbit. Without the temperature overlay, it was just near meltdown. I had to stay in orbit for a while just so the poor thing could cool off.

Is there a way to get steam to automatically play the 32 bit version?  64 bit breaks my mods, and going through the launcher every time I want to play is annoying.
Update to the latest version. As of 0.90, 64-bit KSP does not exist on Windows.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 12:55:09 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Update to the latest version. As of 0.90, 64-bit KSP does not exist on Windows.
Are you sure?  The launcher has a setting that lets you play or not play 64 bit, and unclicking that makes my mods actually appear on the toolbar. 

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile

Munshine has nice designs. They are super simple two stage affairs.

Tried to replicate Munshine designs - they are completely uncontrollable, just like my other rockets. In the previous versions, I usually ragequit at that point and never touched KSP until the release of a new version, because anything more difficult than flying to Minmus requires very complex rockets that I simply can't construct.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What is this 'launcher' of which you speak?

This is my largest rocket so far, uses asparagus staging, dropping two boosters on opposite sides at a time so it remains balanced. I have fuel lines connecting the tanks to the engines through the separators, and another connecting the central fuel tank to the bottom-most engine, a Skipper. Above that is a Poodle and a separator, so when it reaches space I can just dump the Skipper and use the remaining fuel with the Poodle. (Getting the fuel line to connect required a bit of a trick)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I forgot to put the basic fins back on after the last modification to it, but then it turned out to fly just fine without them, so I've left them off.

I think there are probably better designs, though, especially if you have mainsails, nuclear engines, and/or ion. I don't have any of those yet. (And if you have non-shit solar panel tech)

P.S. I think SAS may be important.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ran into an interesting bug.

Tourists dont seem to complete their mission criteria if they are not in focus.  At least not for flybys.

I had two ships full of tourists, one returning from Mun and the other on the way.  I switched focus to land the returning ship, and while I was doing that the other entered the Mun's SOI.

It should have achieved the 'flyby' criteria as soon as it entered the SOI, but since it was not in focus it did not mark that as accomplished for the three passengers.  After switching back, there wasn't anything i could do to get it to fill the criteria.

So i reloaded a quick save, and made sure the ship was in focus as it entered the Mun SOI.  This time, it filled the criteria correctly.  Found another forum thread of someone complaining of something similar, so I'm pretty sure this will reproduce.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Munshine has nice designs. They are super simple two stage affairs.

Tried to replicate Munshine designs - they are completely uncontrollable, just like my other rockets. In the previous versions, I usually ragequit at that point and never touched KSP until the release of a new version, because anything more difficult than flying to Minmus requires very complex rockets that I simply can't construct.

You might be building too tall or too fat at the tip. That can easily fail in a gravity turn no matter how much gyroscope torque you have. I've had flipouts with fat fairings. Try overbuilding Munshine and just going straight up, then turn over outside the major atmospheric drag. Take a 50 ton payload on a 80+ ton payload lifter. It shouldn't cost much more.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What is this 'launcher' of which you speak?
There is a launcher.exe that you can click, which lets you view recent KSP news, along with editing setting and letting you start the game.
Pages: 1 ... 775 776 [777] 778 779 ... 848