Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 771 772 [773] 774 775 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1489362 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Tail parachutes don't work in stock.

It seems they do now, they cut at speed 0 not touchdown

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

Tail parachutes don't work in stock.
I do believe you never tried. :P

Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

I tried in an older version. I don't have the new version yet.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile

Yeah, I was down at about 30% throttle or below. Like I said, the actual touchdown was fine, it was the braking that left something to be desired. A tail parachute would helped, I suppose though I worry that it would have unanticipated forces causing the plane to jerk off-axis.
I'd imagine the problem was at least one of the wheels not touching the ground when braking. Unbalanced forces create torque.

Solution is to either go for a parachute or aerobrakes. Alternatively, land on flat land.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

The airbrakes work wonderfully for landing. They work wonderfully for reentry as well, as they're far less likely to burn off than parachutes now.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

The airbrakes work wonderfully for landing. They work wonderfully for reentry as well, as they're far less likely to burn off than parachutes now.

what if you put them at an angle and start spinning? they should work beautifully as propeller, since they give so much lift

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile

CoL BEHIND CoM

Your wingdick should buttsex your fatball.
I already know that, I'm trying to say that it flipped anyway no matter what I did.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Post your design, so we can actually see what the problem might be.

SkyMarshal

• Bay Watcher
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile

Goddammit.  I was doing an extended survey of Minmus... and was trying to make sure my antenna had finished transmitting some crew reports I had queued.  I accidentally hit "Transmit Data"... whereupon it grabbed EVERY SCRAP OF SCIENCE (including materials studies, surface samples, and the like) and when I told it, in a panic, to stop transmitting, the shitload of science it stole got eaten.  That was 1000+ science nommed by an antenna :(

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Haha, most realistic simulation in the game.  Enterprise software UX fuckups.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Yeah, I was down at about 30% throttle or below. Like I said, the actual touchdown was fine, it was the braking that left something to be desired. A tail parachute would helped, I suppose though I worry that it would have unanticipated forces causing the plane to jerk off-axis.
I'd imagine the problem was at least one of the wheels not touching the ground when braking. Unbalanced forces create torque.

Solution is to either go for a parachute or aerobrakes. Alternatively, land on flat land.
Yes, you might as well have added "Try not crashing."  :P

I had parachutes on the fuselage, but I was trying my hand at an actual landing.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Try not to die!  :D"
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

CoL BEHIND CoM

Your wingdick should buttsex your fatball.
I already know that, I'm trying to say that it flipped anyway no matter what I did.
Fuel burnup will move the CoM most likely backward during flight, too much drag in the front end of the craft for the amount of thrust povided? those are the most likely problem you are encountering. I remember using tacfuel? wich allowed me to modify the fuel flow easily, if my front tank were the first to empty up i could set tacfuel to auto move all fuel from everywhere back to the first one, or keep ALL fuel tank balanced at all time stuff like that.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

Don't jet engines take fuel from all available tanks evenly in vanilla now?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 771 772 [773] 774 775 ... 848