Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 767 768 [769] 770 771 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1489503 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Macey dean has made a new video! My brain is currently overloading!
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Losbooccacc: You're still on 1.0, right? I think the service bay had an exploit in it, which would make it the optimal choice technologically. If you want to check: Place a cockpit, then put a service bay below it, and then a materials bay (Science Jr) inside the service bay (just jam it in there, so it sticks out the bottom), and then attach the rest of your rocket to the materials bay.

I had a rocket designed that way which shot into orbit easily (compared to 1.0.2 - it still had booster SRBs, mind you) and went whereever in 1.0, but in 1.0.2 mysteriously had a 0.66 TWR in the second stage and couldn't get further than 12 km or so into the sky. My current theory then is that the service bay was eliminating the mass of their fuel. If it had been all the mass, then the rocket would probably have incinerated itself trying to hit ludicrous speed on takeoff (from the SRBs) - and I wouldn't have needed to put SRBs on it in the first place.

That rocket: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=435032476
Without the SRBs blocking your view: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=435032764
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 07:46:43 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Snip

I don't think that was what happened. Drag was increased significantly in 1.0.1. With all those SRBs you were probably going too fast and getting tons of drag in the lower atmosphere. As for the second stage, engines have been fixed so that changing Isp affects thrust instead fuel flow, meaning a low Isp produces a low thrust. The atmospheric Isp for the LV-909 and Poodle engines was reduced to the point where they're almost useless at sea level. With all the drag on the first stage, the second stage wasn't able to get high enough for its engine to produce much thrust, hence the low TWR.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

Macey dean has made a new video! My brain is currently overloading!

Uhhghghgnhnnhhn.

Yes. Not a fan of this one, but can't wait for moar spaec baetls!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The second stage was the LV-T45, though. First stage was the SRBs.

In 1.0, the SRBs activated, it shot up through the sky until they ran out and were dropped, then the LV-T45 activated, and it continued shooting up through the sky, until it was in space at 70km or higher (usually it hit 100km before I stopped it because it was moving so damn fast), and I turned it 90 degrees (yes, I didn't even need to do a gravity turn), and ran it some more until it finally ran out, and then dropped that to turn on the 909.

In 1.0.2, it slowly crawled its way up to 8000m or 10000m or so on the SRBs, then when they ran out and it dropped them, it shuddered a couple thousand more meters until it started losing to gravity. A couple thousand meters from the ground, with about 10% of the LV-T45's fuel left, it finally gained positive velocity again. For about 30 seconds. I did not even bother turning on the 909 at that point because it would have been pointless.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 10:47:16 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just recreated it in 1.0 and the second stage definitely has a TWR of less than 1. The weight of the second stage is about 320 kN, so it starts with a TWR of between 0.525 and 0.625 depending on altitude. However, the residual velocity from the SRBs is enough to keep the rocket going up until it reaches a TWR of 1 thanks to its fuel being used up. You're sure that wasn't what was happening?
                        - Random human lord

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If that's what happened when you tried it, then sure. I didn't think it was likely, since drag was supposedly increased 30%, not 300%. :P

(It probably didn't help that I didn't have KER installed in 1.0, so I couldn't see any of the stats.)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 11:21:42 pm by Shadowlord »

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've made an interesting discovery. Apparently, a Mobile Lab's science production get's an increase for each scientist in the vessel even if they aren't in the lab. You don't even need a single scientist in the lab, just any random kerbal can man it and as long as the scientists are on the craft you still get just as much science per day.
                        - Random human lord

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

interesting.  Can you get higher totals that way, or just faster production? 

If you plug in a crew module full of scientists, would you produce mega science points, or just hit the labs limit faster?

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

And then there was a space station composed of one mobile lab and 20 full crew modules.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

interesting.  Can you get higher totals that way, or just faster production? 

If you plug in a crew module full of scientists, would you produce mega science points, or just hit the labs limit faster?
As long as you remember to empty it out every hundred days or so you will get all the science.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

So suddenly I can no longer load my 1.0 without disabling clouds, I finally gave in and redownloaded everything for 1.0.2 including the experimental remote tech build, but this too I needed to disable clouds in order to load.
Then I discovered the -force-opengl switch. The game is loading with 1.5 gb less ram which is great, on the downside text and small icons look a little washed out, but everything else looks great, It also seems to have fixed that shadow strobing bug the KC had at certain times of day.
Also, the newest version of BDarmory has AI controlled weapons/ ships or something, wooohoo.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

I am excited. My next mission should give me the science I need to unlock drills which paves the way for a permanent settlement on minmus.

I just tested the survey scanner with my Oracle 1 satellite so I understood how surveying worked. Now I'll launch Observer 2 over to minmus for a full survey. I could probably swing by the Mun as well to survey that en-route. I've done a few mun->minmus transfers before and gotten pretty good at it.

Once I have a good spot I'll be landing a pioneer module from MKS and some habitation space. Subsequent missions will include a drilling and refinery platform, labs, etc.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Do scanners scan while not in focus? What about drills?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

Do scanners scan while not in focus? What about drills?
No idea about drills yet since I haven't unlocked them. I will do a test drill on kerbin once I do to answer that.

The stock survey scanner is a one-shot thing. You send it up and run the survey, it transmits data back home, then you have the full overlay. You don't need to wait, and the overlay stays forever.
Pages: 1 ... 767 768 [769] 770 771 ... 848