Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 747 748 [749] 750 751 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1490178 times)

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

Did you have SAS turned on or off?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

wow that deadly reentry is fucking hard

I tried reentering with a heat shield but screw that my ship flips over and starts facing the wrong way, destroying all of the science that I got (but leaving Valentina intact)

try deploying parachute earlier.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What deadly re-entry? Seems rather un-deadly to me so far.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

I'm playing hard (I think, I'm swimming in money and just unlocked tier 1 technologies) and so far even hard it seems to be balanced so that:

a capsule can reentry low kerbin orbit as long as it's not a vertical drop
capusule + heatshield can reentry mun/minmus orbit as long as you don't drop to low

probably things become more deadly if you reentry a heavy object that atmosphere can't slow down or from interplanetary transfer, but haven reached that level yet.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

SAS seems borked, atleast to me. Meaning that it likes to start spinning and oscillating the craft.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Seems to be working fine for me. I had a rocket that was spinning, but that was because I hadn't invented the LV-T45 yet, and the LV-T30 just sent it cartwheeling across the sky. (The only SAS or RCS I have is from the command pod still)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

I designed an SSTO (that came very close but failed to achieve true orbit) but forgot deadly reentry is now standard.  And the ssto had no heatshields.  I somehow managed to slow the plane down enough with simple aerobraking maneuvers during the high part of reentry that it didn't explode, didn't even have real airbrakes.  The front half of the plane WAS glowing a pretty scary red though, enough to make out the front of the plane clearly even though it was night. It's kinda cool that even without the usual reentry fireball from high speed there's still an indication that stuff is starting to get hot.

But successful reentry and landing without a heatshield, that should be an achievement or something right? I never screwed around with deadly reentry much.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 04:58:04 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

trolololo space program: you unlock jet engine before jet fuel tanks

also, jet engines say 'drain evenly stage by stage'

anyone knows what that means?

edit: seriously the new research tree is a mess. you can unlock 2.5 mt tanks without unlocking 1.5 to 2.5 adapters, which gets messy fast with the new aereodynamic.

in the same way, you unlock 2.5mt engines without adapters, so making them flush with the rocket is impossible.

I understand having more nodes, but this is so annoying, it's ugly ass rocket space program until you get much far in the tech tree
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 06:18:01 pm by LoSboccacc »

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

All tanks in a stage drain at once instead of top to bottom. This makes the center of mass move less during flight than it used to.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

You could always just drain the oxidizer from the LFO fuel takes.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

How do you satisfy the conditions for a tourist mission? It just says "suborbital flight" and I don't see any particular locations in the tracking center. Does that mean I just need to reach space and then bring them down again (in one piece) to achieve?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Yep.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 747 748 [749] 750 751 ... 848