Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 700 701 [702] 703 704 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1486058 times)

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10515 on: October 16, 2014, 02:55:46 pm »

I tried to send a probe to the Moon, and now I have a better sense of just how large Real Solar System rockets need to be. The limited size of the VAB is a real issue, and building each rocket like it's a Tower of Hanoi puzzle gets old fast.

I seem to recall a mod that expanded the VAB. Does anyone know what it was called, and if there's a version compatible with 0.25?
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10516 on: October 16, 2014, 03:07:04 pm »

You really shouldn't be needing a bigger VAB if you only want to go to the moon 0.0

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #10517 on: October 16, 2014, 03:26:48 pm »

You really shouldn't be needing a bigger VAB if you only want to go to the moon 0.0

he said real solar system, maybe he's playing without the fuel mod.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10518 on: October 16, 2014, 03:31:45 pm »

yeah, if you bring in the real solar system mod, you need to change the fuels also.  The stock fuel is scaled for the tiny radius of Kerbin.  Earth has both larger size and deeper atmosphere.

The stock fuel is scaled to let you build rockets that look about proportionally sized to real rockets for similar jobs, such as payload to kerbin orbit, or kerbin to mun.  But if you deepen the atmosphere and increase the diameter of the planet, suddenly the fuel that was balanced for kerbin forces you to build huge rockets to do the same job.

tl;dr: mod your fuel.

edit:  check out this guy's recreation of a real life moon mission:  http://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/1piaqi/in_realsized_earth_and_moon_mod_fullscale/

« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 03:35:44 pm by puke »

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10519 on: October 16, 2014, 03:38:35 pm »

Yeah, I didn't want to have to learn realfuels along with all the other new mods I'm using. I don't suppose there's an easy fix for stock fuels, is there?
                        - Random human lord

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10520 on: October 16, 2014, 03:41:56 pm »

Probably.  I've never delved into modding the game, but I think you basically just increase their density by 4x (fact check needed) and you'll be in the right ballpark.

This won't change your thrust / weight ratios much (a little maybe, since less tankage is needed for the same weight of fuel) but will allow your rockets to be more compact.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10521 on: October 16, 2014, 03:43:51 pm »

So, KSP is apparently soon to be feature-complete.
That's something.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10522 on: October 16, 2014, 03:50:10 pm »

Here, check this out.  Dude breaks it down:  http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/25804-A-discussion-on-fuel-types

If you wanted to keep it simple, just take his numbers for existing fuels and tweak the existing engines to use his suggested ratios of liquid fuel.

And unrelated, they are playing pretty loose with the phrase "feature complete".   Apparently they mean "all the features they originally thought were important and also have not decided to cut, plus everything they decided to add afterwards, but they'll keep adding major and minor features as long as major code changes are not required or until we decide otherwise."

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #10523 on: October 16, 2014, 03:56:47 pm »

I like it how every time I play KSP it still feels like it's the first time (not true) and I have no clue what I'm doing (more or less true).

Today I built a very simple rocket consisting entirely out of basic, small solid boosters. If I'd use decoupler there would be three stages, 3-3-1.

All i wanted is to escape gravity pull, preferably make an orbit around Kerbin.

When my final booster went out, I had about 3000 m/s and around 17 days to reach apoapsis which peaked at 80,000,000 or something.

What have I done.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10524 on: October 16, 2014, 04:28:02 pm »

Upping the fuel density seems to work to an acceptable degree. Honestly I'm not that concerned with the realism of conventional fuels for this mission. They'll only really factor in when I'm sending everything into orbit and for the Mars escape system. The real meat of it is going to be based around Near Future Propulsion. Maybe I'll try out the full realism overhaul sometime in the future, but for now there are too many incompatibilities with my mod list.

Just waiting for firespitter to update, then we can get this show on the road. Until then I might try to use the Moon as a testing grounds for building MKS bases.
                        - Random human lord

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #10525 on: October 16, 2014, 04:34:21 pm »

After putting my mothership into orbit I found out NFT reactors are annoying. I had them partially fueled to keep weight down but they refused to refuel to full, just to the level in the tweakables. Stupid plugin. Also, you have to get within 5cm of the reactor (not an exaggeration) to refuel it. Combined with bounc kerbals and breakable radiators and you get !!FUN!!! SUCH FUN! I'm considering raising these issues with nearta.
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10526 on: October 16, 2014, 04:45:24 pm »

After putting my mothership into orbit I found out NFT reactors are annoying. I had them partially fueled to keep weight down but they refused to refuel to full, just to the level in the tweakables. Stupid plugin. Also, you have to get within 5cm of the reactor (not an exaggeration) to refuel it. Combined with bounc kerbals and breakable radiators and you get !!FUN!!! SUCH FUN! I'm considering raising these issues with nearta.

You can edit the interaction distance yourself.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10527 on: October 16, 2014, 11:54:08 pm »

Strategies are OP as shit. I went 30% in on the "get science for funds" strategy and now I'm on my fourth mission with all but 2 of the fourth layer of the tech tree finished and a mission to test the mainsail in orbit that will get me--I shit you not--3,480 science, only counting the science from funds. I got 712 science for taking the mission. Those guys they're outsourcing R&D to must be really frigging intense.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 12:43:37 am by Putnam »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #10528 on: October 17, 2014, 01:03:18 am »

Yeah, strategies seem to be designed on the assumption that there's a one-to-one relation between the currencies.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10529 on: October 17, 2014, 01:18:47 am »

I just made a horrible mistake.

When I realized my simple orbiter would not be able to get back down, and that it would run out of oxygen and the like soon, I decided to get Jeb to gather all the experiments and jetpack back to Kerbin. Soomehow, I forgot to factory in the whole "hitting-the-ground-at-high-speed-is-not-good" idea, and flaming Jeb hit the ground and went poof, along with all my science.   :(
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!
Pages: 1 ... 700 701 [702] 703 704 ... 848