Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 697 698 [699] 700 701 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1486189 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10470 on: October 15, 2014, 11:53:33 am »

Well, I finally got to Mun and created a nice new crater.

How do people here know fast/slowly to descend? I'd use MechJeb but landing mode is still locked :X

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10471 on: October 15, 2014, 11:55:43 am »

5m/s vertical without landing legs

up to 30m/s with

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10472 on: October 15, 2014, 12:01:50 pm »

Yeah but when do you start getting that speed? You obviously can't got from 10km to 0 at 30m/s and expect not to run out of fuel halfway down :S

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #10473 on: October 15, 2014, 12:07:25 pm »

Divide height by 100, that's max speed under 10000mt, height divided by 1000 under 500000mt

Not the most efficient by far, but safe and simple.

Or, suicide burn at 100000mt, stop, then freefall till 10000, stop, freefal to 1000 and eueball approach. That is more risky and frisky and works with rimewarp, but needs a good twr.

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #10474 on: October 15, 2014, 12:09:07 pm »

Did you kill your horizontal velocity?
Other than that, it's mostly a practice /intuition. For your first landing, pack plenty of fuel and a good TWR. Speed wise, a rough guide is 10m/s for every 100m, most of the mun being 2km or so up. Also, for the love of Kod, don't rely on Mechjeb. I love it to bits and it can be invaluable, but it's not designed to hold your hand. It does everything in the most clinical fashion possible, executing for a landing what's known as a 'suicide burn', where it kills all velocity at the last possible moment. It's suicide for anyone uncomfortable with landing, hence the name. Learn it yourself. Don't cripple yourself - you'll need those skills.
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10475 on: October 15, 2014, 12:11:36 pm »

Yeah I was going straight down.

And I try to rely on MechJeb whenever I can :P. I like designing ships and fucking around in space more than actually performing difficult manoeuvres.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10476 on: October 15, 2014, 12:12:26 pm »

MechJeb is not quite so bad about suicide burns at the moment.

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #10477 on: October 15, 2014, 12:43:45 pm »

MechJeb is not quite so bad about suicide burns at the moment.
Thank goodness. Landing with experimental craft was a hair raising experience, to say the least.
Yeah I was going straight down.

And I try to rely on MechJeb whenever I can :P. I like designing ships and fucking around in space more than actually performing difficult manoeuvres.
No. Bad. Mun landings aren't 'difficult' at all. They do however involve feeding the brain a large amount of information, all of which is unfamiliar, and requiring you to process it in real time. This makes it mentally taxing, and by no means easy but it's very possible and it is worth it. I'm sorry if I sound patronising or mean but I jumped up and down and screamed like a four year old girl when I landed on the mun. If you're having trouble, go to minmus. That's what I did. It has lower gravity and flat plains and if you don't mind getting a polar orbit then landing on the equator doesn't even need a plane change to get to. KSP is a hard game and worth learning at least once. Then mechjeb all you want. :) Have fun.
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10478 on: October 15, 2014, 12:56:14 pm »

Oh, I landed on Mun and Minmus without any mods before. Its just that it has been a while (before science stuff was added at least).

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10479 on: October 15, 2014, 12:59:46 pm »

yeah, remember when you burned for the mun 'when you see it rise over the horizont, prograde 870m/s and hope for the best' :D

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10480 on: October 15, 2014, 12:59:58 pm »

30 m/s with lander legs on the mun is suicidal, you'll just bounce, topple to one side and fly int othe surface while trying to correct that 1m above the surface.

protip: find a flat area. make sure you have some spare fuel so you can fly to a nearby flat area if you end up right above a sloped area.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10481 on: October 15, 2014, 01:44:09 pm »

You want to be as low as possible horizontally. None of this "straight drop from 10,000 meters" crap, you should be 1000 meters off of the ground when you kill your horizontal velocity. Makes it way easier.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #10482 on: October 15, 2014, 02:15:51 pm »

Welp, I did it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A beautiful belly landing on the Mun.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10483 on: October 15, 2014, 02:16:43 pm »

Taking back off again (assuming you're going to attempt that) might be interesting for you.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10484 on: October 15, 2014, 02:17:31 pm »

Taking back off again (assuming you're going to attempt that) might be interesting for you.

pointy end is toward space (ever so slightly) shouldn't be too hard
Pages: 1 ... 697 698 [699] 700 701 ... 848