Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 685 686 [687] 688 689 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1486383 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10290 on: September 18, 2014, 03:55:02 pm »

Oh.
That's pretty cool. Whether it's worthwhile is arguable, but it's definitely an impressive piece of design.

so is he docking that engine to the bottom of his stack each time?  What is the advantage over radially mounted tanks? 

Do in-line tanks not add as much air resistance now, or do parts still have a flat air resistance no matter how they are mounted?
Engines have mass. Mass creates weight. Weight makes it harder to go upwards.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10291 on: September 18, 2014, 04:25:15 pm »

Engines have mass. Mass creates weight. Weight makes it harder to go upwards.

Thats not exactly what I meant.  Let me try to be more clear:

In what way is a single engine with a tall stack of tanks, superior to a single engine with a number of radially mounted tanks (assuming the same total number of tanks).

Component wise, the radially mounted tanks would need decouplers and fuel lines.  the in-line stack would need seperatrons and docking ports.

Assuming those things are approximately a wash, there would be a major difference in air resistance for real world rockets.

In older versions of KSP, having a fuel tank pancake was no different then having a single stack.  Has this changed?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10292 on: September 18, 2014, 04:41:34 pm »

It's changed a little but not much and only really if you're also using the nosecones afaik. Tall rockets have a secondary issue that has not changed and that's balance. You'll be correcting the nose more in flight.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10293 on: September 18, 2014, 06:20:00 pm »

In what way is a single engine with a tall stack of tanks, superior to a single engine with a number of radially mounted tanks (assuming the same total number of tanks).

Why not use both?

It starts asparagus and then takes up a blowtorch :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10294 on: September 18, 2014, 06:47:55 pm »

KSP 0.25 is in Experimentals! This means the release can only be about 2 weeks off! Get hype!

For those who missed the post about what is in 0.25, most of it is detailed here. I'm really curious as to what the secret stuff is though.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10295 on: September 18, 2014, 06:53:05 pm »

So I tried using firespitter, B9 and MD Armory at the same time. The helicopter landing gears on Firespitter were weirdly large, and flat as paper, but only while flying.

BJ's VTOL engines fell off my fuselage without bouncing. I started the craft, and it began rolling on its own, with two struts stretching behind it like a couple of rubber bands. The craft started to violently spin in circles before the game crashed.

Mod incompatibilities, you so silly~

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10296 on: September 18, 2014, 06:57:37 pm »

The craft started to violently spin in circles before the game crashed.

Well I guess you got that helicopter after all :P

Indeed, I do this.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #10297 on: September 19, 2014, 02:59:52 pm »

The general consensus is that it's destroyable (and possibly repairable) structures for the space center, and/or craterable terrain.

If that's the case, the next-gen feature it's tied to would presumably be constructing new bases, which would certainly be interesting.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10298 on: September 19, 2014, 03:10:58 pm »

The general consensus is that it's destroyable (and possibly repairable) structures for the space center, and/or craterable terrain.

If that's the case, the next-gen feature it's tied to would presumably be constructing new bases, which would certainly be interesting.

O.O

Indeed, I do this.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #10299 on: September 19, 2014, 04:14:52 pm »

NNNNNNNNNNNGHHHHHHHH
My energy levels rised significantly while reading this, and I consequently started to vibrate.
Thankfully there was no resonance effect.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10300 on: September 19, 2014, 04:27:20 pm »

Last I heard any resources off-planet were on hold for an unknown time period.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10301 on: September 19, 2014, 04:44:38 pm »

Destroyable and repairable space center buildings were on the planned feature list for a long time, but when was craterable terrain ever mentioned?

Based on how kerbals can fall though seams in a planets geometry, I would be surprised if this is something that is supportable without some major redesign.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10302 on: September 19, 2014, 05:29:29 pm »

Destroyable and repairable space center buildings were on the planned feature list for a long time, but when was craterable terrain ever mentioned?

Based on how kerbals can fall though seams in a planets geometry, I would be surprised if this is something that is supportable without some major redesign.

I remember an interview where they said that the one thing they would want to do, but would be impossible would be craterable terrain.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #10303 on: September 19, 2014, 05:37:27 pm »

I remember an interview where they said that the one thing they would want to do, but would be impossible would be craterable terrain.
By now I'm half expecting modders to prove them wrong.
I mean, they did a half-stable multiplayer for KSP already, so what next?
(the fact that I don't know the first thing about modding probably plays in that)
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10304 on: September 19, 2014, 06:44:10 pm »

Based on what?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 685 686 [687] 688 689 ... 848