Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 680 681 [682] 683 684 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1486494 times)

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10215 on: September 13, 2014, 12:53:29 pm »

What I really want is a mod that shows your centre of mass/lift/thrust in flight so you can balance fuel accordingly. I find it hard to believe that no one's done that yet.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10216 on: September 13, 2014, 12:59:52 pm »

What I really want is a mod that shows your centre of mass/lift/thrust in flight so you can balance fuel accordingly. I find it hard to believe that no one's done that yet.

I think the closest you're going to get is TAC fuel balancer, which will just balance your fuel in tanks of your choosing. It's up to you to figure out where your tanks should be.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10217 on: September 13, 2014, 05:57:23 pm »

I've only recently started playing and am using FAR. Having some knowledge of how planes work I had no issues creating crafts that could stay in one piece. all those graphs during assembly give you almost all the info you need. Manley explained some of them in one of his videos if you don't understand all the numbers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNSXAHLX0Uk

Aerodynamics is pretty important with FAR and so you want to have as little stuff as possible attached to the wings so you don't add extra stress with drag. Also, if you're using FAR, it is a good idea to use Ferram's other mod, Kerbal Joint Reinforcement http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55657-0-24-2-Kerbal-Joint-Reinforcement-v2-4-3-7-25-14

If you're still having issues, FAR does offer some nice flight assistance options to help keep you from tearing up the plane, just don't expect miracles.
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10218 on: September 13, 2014, 08:36:44 pm »

4.8km long runway. Space? Say hello to runway.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10219 on: September 13, 2014, 08:40:55 pm »

WTF crazy mod is that?
Apparently all Kerbal engineers are as crazy as the rocket ones.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10220 on: September 13, 2014, 09:03:23 pm »

Kerbin Side
Look at the pretty aircraft carriers. Happy day.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10221 on: September 13, 2014, 10:32:06 pm »

Link please!
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #10223 on: September 14, 2014, 12:20:28 pm »

My last iteration in landership:

it is expensive (100k@7x costs) but I can recover all of it

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10224 on: September 14, 2014, 01:07:49 pm »

it is expensive (100k@7x costs) but I can recover all of it

Um...maybe not?
That heatshield doesn't look large enough to cover up all of that, especially those legs, so you might not recover as much as you think :P

Actually, looking at it again you might not recover ANY of it because that is gonna want to flip over to have the wrong end pointing down when you try to come back through the atmosphere, so that heatshield actually looks pretty useless in my experience.
Had that problem with a million dollar station core that was supposed to have the boosters return to the planet, instead they flipped end over end and died in a fire :(
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 01:11:08 pm by BFEL »

Indeed, I do this.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #10225 on: September 14, 2014, 01:37:40 pm »

Tested and works :)

There is that smaller heatshield on the four tanks which is enough to protect and stabilize the thing.

Only issue is that needs to land on solid ground or with empty tanks

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10226 on: September 14, 2014, 01:40:12 pm »

Tested and works :)

There is that smaller heatshield on the four tanks which is enough to protect and stabilize the thing.

Only issue is that needs to land on solid ground or with empty tanks
Well I guess I was wrong then :P
And adding a few more chutes should let you waterland without issues.

Indeed, I do this.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10227 on: September 14, 2014, 02:17:59 pm »

On the topic of landers, I made my first one that I think may actually not explode horribly:

(I selected the Mun in reference bodies)

Those monoprop engines really are OP.
The idea here is to land and take off without the bottom tank/lander legs. Then drop the top tank during reentry, although that may not that great of an idea.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10228 on: September 14, 2014, 02:31:38 pm »

Those monoprop engines really are OP.
The idea here is to land and take off without the bottom tank/lander legs. Then drop the top tank during reentry, although that may not that great of an idea.
I tried something similar and OH MY BALLS did it not go the way I thought it would. Those engines aren't as OP as you think...

Indeed, I do this.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10229 on: September 14, 2014, 02:57:04 pm »

The monoprop engines aren't very efficient, and with only two you aren't taking advantage of their infinite TWR. If you replaced the RCS with the equivalent sized fuel tanks and used an LV-909 you could probably squeeze out almost twice the delta-v.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord
Pages: 1 ... 680 681 [682] 683 684 ... 848