Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 676 677 [678] 679 680 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1486554 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10155 on: September 05, 2014, 03:04:45 pm »

One thing I learned about rovers:

Always have at least as wide a wheelbase as your heght, if you want to turn.

Also, spoilers work and make for fun jet-cars.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #10156 on: September 05, 2014, 03:22:38 pm »

You can have much shorter wheelbases than that, just turn the turning to docking mode. It wont try to tip you over when you turn then.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10157 on: September 05, 2014, 04:49:10 pm »

Yeah, I ended up just putting the wheels further out.  I just figured it was a funny video.

e:  Also, oddly, inverting forward steering significantly improved steering performance.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10158 on: September 06, 2014, 01:04:31 pm »

Ok, what in the goddamn fuck is making my planes roll over while trying to take off? This isn't the superspeed monster btw, this is a perfectly normal plane, and no matter WHAT I fucking do it decides about 3/4 of the way through the runway it wants to be a doggie and rolls over like I threw a mainsail under one wing and spazzes the hell out.

Is it just REALLY bad to have a single wheel up front or something? Never seemed to cause problems for Scott Manley or RL planes, but no matter how wide I put the back wheels or even adding a second set or configuring it a different way or anything worked.

Then I tried every combination of control surfaces I could think of. There is currently a maxed control elevator just sticking on the end of my swept wings with nothing but roll control and NOPE has no goddamn effect on anything.

This is something of a consistent problem I have with planes in general, and usually giving it wider wheels works but this is just making me want to throw my computer.

Is there some essential trick I'm missing to not exploding on the runway?

EDIT: Apparently I was just too goddamn heavy...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 01:19:43 pm by BFEL »
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10159 on: September 06, 2014, 01:46:29 pm »

Probably just has to do with center of gravity vs center of lift more than anything

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10160 on: September 06, 2014, 04:20:44 pm »

So for pretty much the first time in ever, I decided to go interplanetary. I knew going in I was very very not prepared to do so, but fuck it. So I made "Explorer I" the new hope of Kerbal's everywhere!

Its basically a mkII command pod with large life support on top of a tricoupler with two NERVA's and a stack of materials bays with goo's that reaches pretty much exactly the size of the other two, all put on top of the biggest ARM engine with 3 of its large fuel containers.

So I managed to get this gigantic fucker into space, and even managed to get an Eve encounter. I decided not to circularize because lack of fuel, but I get tons of high-altitude science (I really should have gotten the encounter closer when I had the chance, but I oopsied)

Now I'm on the return and....I realize we don't have enough life support to make it back, and there simply isn't a transfer window which I could make within the year I have left.

Now, something to note, currently the space programs only surviving member with any experience whatsoever (Bob) is on that ship...so he does the only thing his experience tells him will get all this science safely home...he kicks Rodgard and Edmund out...

I now have four years of life support, and a transfer in three!

I still probably don't have the delta v to pull it off, so I'm gonna try and rush out actuators so I can catch it when it goes past. I imagine Bob is in for a court martial when he gets back home :P

Indeed, I do this.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10161 on: September 06, 2014, 09:28:39 pm »

Nah,Bob just has to spinn it right.

They all knew that the three of them couldn't make it, so they drew lots.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10162 on: September 07, 2014, 03:57:55 am »

EDIT: Apparently I was just too goddamn heavy...
Yea that is a MAJOR issue with the stock landing gears.  Put too much weight on them and they start to buckle. And thanks to the way the weight system works, they will often buckle on one side before the other, causing you to lose yaw control while on the runway sometimes causing your plane to have a close encounter with the hangar.

A solution to this is to add more landing gear to distribute the weight (I used to double up each landing gear if that happened before I played with mods)  another option if you use B9 or firespitter is to break out the heavier duty landing gears.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 04:00:53 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10163 on: September 07, 2014, 05:26:47 am »

So for pretty much the first time in ever, I decided to go interplanetary. I knew going in I was very very not prepared to do so, but fuck it. So I made "Explorer I" the new hope of Kerbal's everywhere!

Its basically a mkII command pod with large life support on top of a tricoupler with two NERVA's and a stack of materials bays with goo's that reaches pretty much exactly the size of the other two, all put on top of the biggest ARM engine with 3 of its large fuel containers.

So I managed to get this gigantic fucker into space, and even managed to get an Eve encounter. I decided not to circularize because lack of fuel, but I get tons of high-altitude science (I really should have gotten the encounter closer when I had the chance, but I oopsied)

Now I'm on the return and....I realize we don't have enough life support to make it back, and there simply isn't a transfer window which I could make within the year I have left.

Now, something to note, currently the space programs only surviving member with any experience whatsoever (Bob) is on that ship...so he does the only thing his experience tells him will get all this science safely home...he kicks Rodgard and Edmund out...

I now have four years of life support, and a transfer in three!

I still probably don't have the delta v to pull it off, so I'm gonna try and rush out actuators so I can catch it when it goes past. I imagine Bob is in for a court martial when he gets back home :P
Sounds like Sunshine's plot.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10164 on: September 07, 2014, 08:19:17 am »

A solution to this is to add more landing gear to distribute the weight (I used to double up each landing gear if that happened before I played with mods)  another option if you use B9 or firespitter is to break out the heavier duty landing gears.
I'll remember that for future forays, though I don't use B9 or firespitter (well I technically use the firespitter plugin or something because its required by another mod I have? Fuck if I know) because it befuddles me how to get any of that shit to work with anything.

EDIT: aaaand just realized I had the FinePrint mod installed COMPLETELY WRONG this whole time. No wonder I had no space station contracts or such... *le sigh*
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 08:34:53 am by BFEL »

Indeed, I do this.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10165 on: September 07, 2014, 08:59:10 am »

How do you install fine print wrong? Now I see why you can't get B9 working.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10166 on: September 07, 2014, 10:00:17 am »

How do you install fine print wrong? Now I see why you can't get B9 working.
Instead of putting it in GameData I put it in the main ksp folder.
I think what happened was I dl'd it before going to bed and just threw it in while intending to fix it in the morning, but then forgot about it :P

And hey, B9 is a whole different animal, it has dependencies and shit.

Indeed, I do this.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10167 on: September 07, 2014, 12:39:17 pm »

B9 is the same animal. Folders go into gamedata and you're done. Like any other mod you have to check version numbers and duplicates. Usually you erase the folders you're replacing. You need to know maybe two quirks of KSP mods: erase the original mod folders/files and not all mod makers zip folders nested in GameData > mod A > plugins, parts, etc. Some use mod A > plugins and some use modmaker A > mod AA, mod AB > plugins, parts, etc. That's pretty much it. KSP is super lenient on mods. You could take almost every mod and pull out its parts folders into one single parts folder in gamedata but OMFG do not do that. That would be a nightmare to update. That's how KSP used to be before the GameData folder and it was rough.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10168 on: September 07, 2014, 01:24:05 pm »

Dude, I'm not even REPLACING anything. Just throwing a B9 into a fresh install is enough to crash the game. And then you have to muck around with texture compilers and plugins and HOW THE FUCKSHIT ARE YOU PEOPLE SO LAISSEZ-FAIRE ABOUT IT? Its like a teacher trying to convince a kindergartener that quantum physics is exactly as simple as addition!

Indeed, I do this.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10169 on: September 07, 2014, 02:25:07 pm »

Dude, I'm not even REPLACING anything. Just throwing a B9 into a fresh install is enough to crash the game. And then you have to muck around with texture compilers and plugins and HOW THE FUCKSHIT ARE YOU PEOPLE SO LAISSEZ-FAIRE ABOUT IT? Its like a teacher trying to convince a kindergartener that quantum physics is exactly as simple as addition!
the texture management is just drag + drop into gamedata
the module manager is just drag + drop into gamedata

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 676 677 [678] 679 680 ... 848