Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 673 674 [675] 676 677 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1486586 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

I know, I just can get close enough...

Most of my creations arent powerful enough, and most are made to look nice more than act nice...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But... Free science! Its taken me halfway down the tree and I still havent figured out how to get really close to a kerbal yet, letalone get close to the Mun! ((The one time I came close I went past too fast, wound up in deep spaaaace))
Maneuver nodes.

Maneuver nodes and relative velocity to target when you do get anywhere near 5km away. Just zero out your relative velocity by paying attention to your navball markers. Then get within 2km so you can switch to the kerbal and use his jetpack fuel.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Yah, I managed to do that once, and then had no idea what to do with the kerbal, thanks to lack of navball... Ah well...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you leave the camera on the default and have similar orbital planes then just pushing forward while pointing at the vehicle should get your kerbal where he needs to go with minimal up/down adjustment. Just watch your speed.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

So anyone have enough patience to sit through that podcast and get that sweet info on the admin building? INQUIRING MINDS WITH SHORT ATTENTION SPANS WANT TO KNOW.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yah, I managed to do that once, and then had no idea what to do with the kerbal, thanks to lack of navball... Ah well...
From seeing something on the KSP forum, you have to get close(within 2.5km, but closer is better), then use [ and ] to switch to the kerbalnaut, target the rescue ship(not needed, but being able to see the ship is much better than not), press R to ready the jetpack, and fly to the ship. Grab on and board, then drop back into the atmosphere, hit land(soft enough that at least the crew pods are intact, or bail out if the crew can survive hitting the ground) and recover the craft.

Oh, and make sure there's an empty crew spot on the ship.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So...question... is it normal FAR behavior to have a capsule fall so slowly you don't need a chute? Well, ok I use the chute on the way down, but I've been having the chutes randomly cut a few hundred meters above the surface and then just slowly glide down at parachute velocity anyway.

I could probably use just a drogue chute and be fine at this point...

Indeed, I do this.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

So I went to do an EVA in near-Kerbal orbit, but poor Jebediah got separated from the capsule almost immediately. Tried to get back to it using the EVA pack and wound up smacking into it and then bouncing off at a high rate of speed. At which point he reached atmospheric interface and starting glowing like a cinder. Then the atmosphere buffeting further down in the stratosphere. But still alive.

Used his EVA pack to try and slow down his fall but still hit the ground at 100+ m/s, bounced about 30m and came to rest in a heap. Then got up, dusted himself off and took a soil sample.  :o

So, did they remove astronaut deaths???

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile

I doubt it, but kerbonauts can be surprisingly durable. I know I've heard tales about them surviving long falls by various graces, usually involving expert (or lucky) jetpack use.
Nothing important here, move along.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile

I doubt it, but kerbonauts can be surprisingly durable. I know I've heard tales about them surviving long falls by various graces, usually involving expert (or lucky) jetpack use.

Explosions are the best parachute.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile

Yeah, I've got a thing on my LKO space station that fires Kerbals onto the surface. They survive more than you'd expect. :P

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile

Yeah, I've got a thing on my LKO space station that fires Kerbals onto the surface. They survive more than you'd expect. :P
I wanna sig this, but I'm near my sig limit, and I will not join the sigthread.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I wanna sig this, but I'm near my sig limit, and I will not join the sigthread.
Come with us tahu~
COME WITH US
IN A TOTALLY NONSEXUAL MANNER!

Indeed, I do this.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile

IN A TOTALLY NONSEXUAL MANNER!

Aww.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

I think it's meant to be if you land them head first, they just bounce.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 673 674 [675] 676 677 ... 848