Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 588 589 [590] 591 592 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1484973 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

I use https://obsproject.com to stream, and it can record as well. It's 100 percent free, and it just took me a 15 minute youtube video watch to get it set up and ready to go.
You wouldn't happen to have a link to said video, would you?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I use https://obsproject.com to stream, and it can record as well. It's 100 percent free, and it just took me a 15 minute youtube video watch to get it set up and ready to go.
You wouldn't happen to have a link to said video, would you?

It was months ago, and I can't find where I found it. Best bet would just be to Google "set up open broadcaster software" There should be lots of videos to choose from, I don't have the time right now to watch them and tell you if any are good though sadly, or I would.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

At one point I had virtual dub set up for capturing, but it can be a tricky beast if your settings aren't just right. or well you'll end up with corrupted output.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It was months ago, and I can't find where I found it. Best bet would just be to Google "set up open broadcaster software"
I guessed. Worth a shot.

At one point I had virtual dub set up for capturing, but it can be a tricky beast if your settings aren't just right. or well you'll end up with corrupted output.
...A virtual what?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

VirtualDub, it's an application for video conversion that apparently can also be used for video capturing!

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile

So, remember orbiting-the-sun guy? Well, his rocket had a mechjeb unit and some industrial-grade batteries on. (this was before I had solar panels.) So, I have him transmit the crew and EVA logs, which gave me enough science to get some more tech. I researched the bit which would allow mechjeb to actually live up to its name (for the education of those not converted to the Church of MechJeb [in the name of the delta-v calculator, the maneuver node editor, and the distance-to-surface display, Amen], in career mode, you unlock various features as you progress along the tech tree, culminating in a probe core that looks like a sinister Personality Core mounted on a nose cone. Seriously, that thing is f***ing creepy. The 'eye' will normally lock onto the target. However, when you are in the VAB, it will follow the position of the camera. In other words: it's watching you.)
and was able to re-enter Kerbic(seriously, squad needs to formalize the vocabulary for all things Kerb) orbit. This module was intended to be a Minmus-bound research mission, so it had the works. I gained over 400 science from that mission.

Anyways, any advice on how to launch larger payloads? Say, the core of a space station?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Anyways, any advice on how to launch larger payloads? Say, the core of a space station?
Are you running 23.5? If not then orange tanks are your friend. Without a hint at the size of your space station core I'll just assume you need to launch a megatonne.
http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/56212-1000-Tonnes-to-Orbit
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Features:
-1st Stage
--6250 tonnes
--1597 parts
--91 mainsail engines
--3 stage support structure
--45 seconds to load and initialize physics

Do you even lift?
But in all seriousness, ORANGE TANKS! This craft here is capable of lifting a full orange tank to a few hundred km orbit, that should be enough payload right?
Stage 1: 7 Orange and 6 1/4 orange, 1 Mainsail and 6 skippers, with fuel crosslinks so they all run out at the same time;
Stage 2: 2 Orange, 1 half and a quarter orange, 1 mainsail. Note RCS tanks, by the time you reach stage 2 the craft gets a bit unstable when turning.
Stage 3: An orange and a 1/4 and a poodle, you need what's in the bottom grey tank to raise/change orbit, it would be more efficient to move that to drop tanks or something but whatever.

As an aside my career game has now progressed to the Mercury stage featuring a rocket 30% lighter with 30% less thrust, and barely enough dV to launch a similar sized payload up to low kerbal orbit If piloted competently , The Redstone even features a superficial resemblance, barring the colour inversion.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 12:09:03 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Am I the only one who finds dozens of clustered orange tanks repulsive? I've never been a fan of them but everyone else seems to bow to their glory.

Also, that first launcher is somehow worse all around than the one I threw together for my ridiculous battleship, despite being twice the launch mass. Are the new engines really that good?
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

Am I the only one who finds dozens of clustered orange tanks repulsive? I've never been a fan of them but everyone else seems to bow to their glory.

Also, that first launcher is somehow worse all around than the one I threw together for my ridiculous battleship, despite being twice the launch mass. Are the new engines really that good?
Yes.

And KW rocketry has ones that are twice as good as THOSE.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

and was able to re-enter Kerbic(seriously, squad needs to formalize the vocabulary for all things Kerb)
Adjective: Kerbal. Simple.

Yes.

Assuming you ignore fuel consumption and whatnot.
Sig

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

and was able to re-enter Kerbic(seriously, squad needs to formalize the vocabulary for all things Kerb)
Adjective: Kerbal. Simple.

Yes.

Assuming you ignore fuel consumption and whatnot.

Hey, if you can thrust so hard you make orbit with a half a second burn, you don't NEED ISP :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, you do.
1. No engine I'm aware of gives that much thrust.
2. Low ISP=High Fuel Consumption=More Fuel Needed
More Fuel Needed=Bigger Rockets=Less Wieldey Rockets=More Crashes
More Fuel Needed=More Mass=Lower Acceleration
Sig

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile

plz. You just need moar rockets. Space pancakes are the best pancakes.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile

Asparagus staging FTW! Only carry as many rockets as you need! (And trust us, you need a lot)
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

A note for efficient aircraft use; keep the intakeair as low as possible by climbing higher. I realised just now while flying to the south pole that your intakeair level in the resources tab shows your surplus, so you want it to be minimal so you're flying through thinner air.
Also re-entry effects on aeroplanes is a fun thing.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 588 589 [590] 591 592 ... 848