Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 583 584 [585] 586 587 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1491679 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Oh god, what am I doing? *Nogoodnames has claimed a spacecraft hangar*

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I hope I can figure out how to remove those glitchy engines. It would suck to go this far and be denied completion due to a bug.
...What were you trying to make, again?

Anyways. I've been planning more things for my LP, and I was wondering if there was an easier way to hack craft to other worlds than just turning on infinite fuel, maybe hacking gravity, and powering towards the place in question.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 09:03:28 am by LoSboccacc »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There is hyper edit http://kerbalspaceport.com/hyperedit

To the guy wanting colours: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/50008-0-23-KerbPaint-Paint-layering-for-parts-(September-23rd)-(Same-Old-Still-Works!)

Hyperedit will land a craft very gently on the surface of a body. It's best if used to first orbit kerbin, then your target body soi, then land.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There is hyper edit http://kerbalspaceport.com/hyperedit
I clicked "Download".
Quote from: Kerbal Spaceport
File does not exist. Make sure you specified correct file name.
I'll see if I can find it elsewhere.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Indeed.
Sig

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is that based on something, or an original creation?
Completely original.

...What were you trying to make, again?
Some kind of battleship/carrier hybrid apparently. I'm using only stock parts and I intend to be able to launch this thing to orbit with a few boosters.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

-snip-
You dont need that many engines... Nowhere near that many.
Not in space atleast. Half that many would be more than enough.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I am by no means an expert at this game...and I am running through career mode and I was rather happy with myself to get a probe up to the mun and back with lots of fuel to spare using fairly early parts....only to have it land on a slope, fall over, and explode (just the probe naturally...) with well over 100 science points in it...fml

On the brightside...no deaths
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 12:37:29 pm by dennislp3 »

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I trimmed it back to 18 atomic engines and then one 3.75m one for time critical maneuvers after fixing the glitch.

Consider that this thing so far has a mass of 1688 tonnes when fully fueled and I'm not done with it yet. I don't know the TWR but if I want to get anywhere in a timely manner then I'm going to need a lot of engines. Besides, the engines make up such a small percentage of the actual mass that I'm not really hurting anything by having more of them than absolutely necessary.

Edit: Whoops, added a 1 there. The finished craft still has a mass of over 800 tonnes, so the point stands.

And here it is, in all its glory:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Now I just need to figure out how to get it off the ground.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 03:16:13 pm by nogoodnames »
                        - Random human lord

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Shove a new engine and tank on the back, point up in the hangar, add many launch clamps, turn off gravity and fuel use and launch.

Then turn everything on later.

Tell me, have you been watching Macy Dean?
And is it stock?
Highly Opinionated Fool

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I intend to launch it legitimately if at all possible, and I believe it is. It handles remarkably well on its own in the atmosphere with hacked gravity, getting up to 150m/s before becoming unstable.

Yes, that space battle I set up recently made me go back and rewatch Macey's videos, and that in turn inspired me to make this ship. I even co-opted a few of his designs for it.

And yes, I only used stock parts. I'll have to add some radiators before I launch it so the solar panels don't overheat thanks to Interstellar, but I'll keep everything else vanilla.
                        - Random human lord

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

-snip-
Depends on if you prioritize thrust above or below weight and sanity.

Anyways. In general, you should have a total booster size about the size of the payload, unless you really kn ow what you're doing. I think. So, try adding a ton of giant Rockomax boosters. Or use a couple Jumbo fuel tanks with Mainsails as boosters. Either way, struts are your friend (and will even detach utomatically with staging!)
Sig

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And if you are using the new version (asteroids) than use the S3 KS-12x4 clusters for it.
They are brilliant.

In other news, my giant ship crashed the game while building...
Gaah.
Highly Opinionated Fool

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

So people were talking about Macey Dean, so I googled it, and ended up watching a bunch of his videos. I just finished with The Battle for Laythe. And honestly, my mind is blown.

That stuff pulls off hard sci-fi space opera so well that I can't even describe it.
Pages: 1 ... 583 584 [585] 586 587 ... 848