Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 572 573 [574] 575 576 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1491553 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

I spent four hours or so (almost 5% of the total time I've played KSP!) today just walking across Minmus. I covered almost 30 kilometers. (I would have started closer, but I bounced a lot further than anticipated.)

Next, I need to walk back to the spacecraft that got me here...and that is 91.1 kilometers away.

Is there an easy way to move my kerbonaut's position closer to the ship so I don't have to hold w down for twelve hours?
(P.S. EVA rocketry isn't an option. Between the time I spent repreatedly crashing into Minmus's surface and my complete lack of EVA fuel...)

You can use time warp while running....

I mean, your kerbal will run in a zig-zaggy path, but its faster then normal :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here's a really good ARM video.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gZ66sMuFbU .23.5 hnnnnnng

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

I was using time warp. 4x, to be specific; most of my journey was at too high of an altitude for non-physical time warp, and the one time I accidentally used it lead to an unexpected explosion.

Here's a really good ARM video.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gZ66sMuFbU .23.5 hnnnnnng
I'll probably watch it once I get around to finishing Scott's livestream of similar.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Mo' like DrunkJeb (click to show/hide)

Indeed, I do this.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile

Needs more fins.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, that's probably your own fault.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You know, it just occurred to me that I haven't done much with the Interstellar mod. I've been focused enough on my LP that I haven't sandboxed much. So, I'll try making an SSTO starship. How hard can it be, when I have the might of all the tech in the game and a few mods I happen to have?

Well, the first hard thing is insanely long load times. I'm talking minutes of lag just to switch pages in the VAB! I'm not sure what's up, but I've got a hunch that it has something to do with the mods I've installed, more specifically the number of parts, since this problem didn't come up earlier today. On the other hand, the effect is pretty inconstant, and this didn't happen last time I used the sandbox, so who the hell knows what's going on? Well, at least once I've clicked to a page it seems to be quick to go back to it.

Once I solved this, I hit the problem of there being a whole lot of stuff. And that it's swiftly approaching midnight. I'll see where I can get with this thing later.

I'm not sure what exactly is going on there, but I'm not seeing much in the way of control anything. And if MechJeb was that incompetent, it wouldn't have gotten to 12,000 meters. Heck, my brother wasn't so bad that he pointed in-control rockets at the ground, and he couldn't get a rocket into orbit! He could barely get rockets to space!
A note to my brither, if he is reading this: I apologize for apparently using you as a benchmark for incompetence.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can build crazy SSTO's with stock parts. Why lean on Interstellar if you're just getting used to base game?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm doing this largely to test out Interstellar, actually.

And I think I've got the basics of the game down--and with KSP, the advanced stuff is mostly different applying the basics, is it not?
Sig

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Interstellar career and sandbox will be different. Early parts are weaker until upgraded. You can't upgrade until unlocking the tree. Upgraded and unupraded vehicles will have to be built very differently.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh huff, you guys!

Just thought it was funny that mechjeb tried to gravity turn and ended up pointing at the ground. Also, there was a reaction wheel near the top. :P

I'm pretty confident I coulda put that in orbit, just wanted to see what mechjeb could do.

Indeed, I do this.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was using time warp. 4x, to be specific; most of my journey was at too high of an altitude for non-physical time warp, and the one time I accidentally used it lead to an unexpected explosion.

I'll probably watch it once I get around to finishing Scott's livestream of similar.

ALT + Period my friend :)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Oh huff, you guys!

Just thought it was funny that mechjeb tried to gravity turn and ended up pointing at the ground. Also, there was a reaction wheel near the top. :P

I'm pretty confident I coulda put that in orbit, just wanted to see what mechjeb could do.
"a reaction wheel"
That rocket looks too big for one reaction wheel. I like to put at least one on every stage.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

ALT + Period my friend :)
I was using time warp. 4x, to be specific;
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have completed my mad startship. 1,560 tons of fuel, rockets, and some fun stuff.
It has six Mainsails, a Griffon XX (the largest rocket in KW Rocketry), and twelve Thor SRBs (the largest solid boosters in KW Rocketry). It has just under 5,000 of Δv and room for 20 crew members. Its total fuel capacity is insane. It can barely fit in the VAB, I can't even scroll all the way up it, and it needs extensive strutting before it can even think of launching (or even not explosively deconstructing on contact with physics). Hell if I can figure out where, though.

Let's try something...smaller.
Only 1,316 tons and change, with over five km/s of Δv. Four Titans (large, decent-efficiency engines), five crew (the D-Team, because I chose my kerbonauts with names that start with "d").
It's still falling over and exploding.

I try to go for the bare minimum. 763 tons, one crew (Jeb), one engine, a crapton of fuel. It has over 57 kilounits of liquid fuel, nearly 70 kilounits of oxidizer, and close to 50 kilounits of electricity. And it has an antimatter drive, antimatter collectors, and a warp drive.
It also has a TWR less than one. Whoops. Even a Griffon XX can't lift this monstrosity alone! So, I instead add six Mainsails around the edges as "boosters", bringing the TWR up to 1.61 (until they run dry). I then switch the central engine to a more efficient Vesta (another KW part). TWR down to 1.24, but eh.

I'll launch it after class. My plan: Launch this thing, then run a refueling mission, then...I dunno.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 572 573 [574] 575 576 ... 848