Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 557 558 [559] 560 561 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1491250 times)

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wait, I thought the rate of acceleration due to gravity (g, if I remember) was dependent on the gravitational pull of the object. It's been years since I took physics though, so I could be wrong, but isn't that what he was referring to?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

Except you wrote extra gravitational eccelleration.

I know drag, but what's more is the gravitational force, accelleration being constant.
Part of why I like my explanation better.

Wait, I thought the rate of acceleration due to gravity (g, if I remember) was dependent on the gravitational pull of the object. It's been years since I took physics though, so I could be wrong, but isn't that what he was referring to?
Acceleration due to gravity depends on the mass of each object, the (square of the) distance between them, and the gravitational constant.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Erils

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hope I don't look stupid for asking this but I just haven't read through the whole thread yet and want to know.

Does anyone here have a server set up for the multiplayer mod?

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know drag, but what's more is the gravitational force, accelleration being constant.

Acceleration due to gravity depends on the mass of each object, the (square of the) distance between them, and the gravitational constant.

Oh right, thanks. I need to brush up on my physics. I was thinking of the gravitational constant, but now it occurs to me that that is most likely, uhhh, constant.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Oh right, thanks. I need to brush up on my physics. I was thinking of the gravitational constant, but now it occurs to me that that is most likely, uhhh, constant.

related

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

However, the mass is a planet is so much more than the mass of things like rockets and small asteroids that it's simpler to count only the planet's gravity. KSP actually does this, because there's no point in trying to calculate something smaller than what the floating point numbers can handle.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

N-body makes for really interesting trajectories.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

Hope I don't look stupid for asking this but I just haven't read through the whole thread yet and want to know.

Does anyone here have a server set up for the multiplayer mod?

We tried it, but it didn't last long because when we did we couldn't get it to work for long.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

However, the mass is a planet is so much more than the mass of things like rockets and small asteroids that it's simpler to count only the planet's gravity. KSP actually does this, because there's no point in trying to calculate something smaller than what the floating point numbers can handle.
Not so much. They just calculate the acceleration directly, rather than the force (which is multiplied by the small object's mass) and then divide by the small object's mass.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

Started a new game with Interstellar, Mission Controller, and Final Frontier (medals for your Kerbals! No longer shall you impotently wonder which Kerbal was first to crash land on the Mun!) Oh and Bio..whatever, plants in space basically.

Anyway, I have this RP in my head about how Jebediah is a young billionaire playboy philanthropist crazy junkyard operator lamenting the lack of Government space programs, so he launches his own with a few boosters strapped to a can, and finding success, manages to get some funding out of the stingy Kerbovernor.
His first mission in the "Maiden I" didn't quite make the 70000 meter mark of the mission parameters, but the science he obtained let the Maiden II succeed!

Right now he is renting his design out to Bob Kerman, a Kerbal willing to pay an exorbitant price (31000 kerblins) to have the experience Jeb just did.

This totally needs to become canon :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The git version of Biomass is the more interesting one.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

I just started a campaign with Kethane and KAS, which I still haven't learnt. That biomass mod makes it seem like it would give you more objectives. What exactly does it allow you to do? And are there other mods that give you these kinds of free-form objectives, like setting up a refuelling station on the Mun?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mission mod straight up gives you stock objectives. RemoteTech2 makes any objective challenging. KAS will likely make your game lock up and/or crash. KAS + RemoteTech pretty much guarantees a lockup under specific but common circumstances. Want to point a dish at another dish in another SOI and then go to that vessel in that other SOI? Lockup. It pretty much defeats the purpose of RemoteTech. KAS is also explodey. The concept and usage is theoretically very cool, but it's horribly unstable.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 10:41:07 am by BigD145 »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

I prefer kerbal economy to the mission controller - but mc has better payback for recovered stages (takes parachutes into account for stages spent mid flight, nit just for the landed ones)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

KAS being that unstable is not good... :( Is it possible to just remove it and keep the campaign going? I just wanted the ability to do repairs, like when I forget the stupid solar panels :P
Pages: 1 ... 557 558 [559] 560 561 ... 848