Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 556 557 [558] 559 560 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1491251 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

I take it you never use ion engines?
Not successfully!

NERVAs can result in them too.
Please don't acronym. If you do, the abbr key is nice.

Nuclear

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

I figured that out by checking the Wikipedia article. (If I hadn't I would have said so.)
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I try not to make heavy nuclear pushers and if I do it's orange tanks with 6+ nuclear each. Long burns suck so much.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

On that note...I decided to try making an interstellar ion craft.

First, the landing iony part.

By the way, I fully support the development of a radially-mounted ion engine.

Next, a rocket to get it into orbit.

And finally, a cute little booster to hopefully help that stage out.

(Because the big white ones are a bit overused.)

The Ion Interplanetary I, or III, is being piloted by one Donlan Kerman. Looking at it on the launch pad...it's smaller than many of my rockets, but I've been told I overengineer, so that's not a bad thing.
It launches well.

Not ten seconds in, the boosters start to overheat, the bars climbing at almost the same rate as the solid-fuel gauges rise. The rocket tilts a bit west (why do they always do that?)
A bit under six thousand meters and thirty seconds, I eject that first stage and go onto the liquid fuel rocket. I promptly correct my courst with a combination of reaction wheel and thrust vectoring, then begin a nice little gravity turn.

Rocket fuel runs out all of a sudden at a bit under 40 kilometers, with the apoapsis a bit under 50. Well, only one solution, really.

Man, those things might not have much thrust, but they sure look cool.

Sadly, drag is slowing me down and lowering my apoapsis faster than my little engine that evidently can't (in a gravity well) can do the opposite. Oh well...

Those look pretty cool.

Aw.

A picture before splashdown, showing all slow-down systems being nominal.

A picture after splashdown, showing all systems...um...un-nominal.

Huh.

Well, I don't have time to design the IIII right now, but when I do, some notes.

1. Bigger rocket booster.
2. Radial-decoupling solid boosters. (More/Bigger?)
3. Parachutes. More parachutes.
4. Also more ion engines.
5. We're gonna need a bigger lander-can (to put all this crap on).
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ion engines aren't used for landing. Ever. They are only used for probes, really. They produce so little thrust that they'd only be able to land on minmus if they were propelling nothing but themselves.

Stick to nukular/landing engines for landing.
The ion engine wasn't intended to slow the landing. The parachute was.
Sig

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

What were you going to use to land on whatever you were going to land on aside from Kerbin? Can't use parachutes on moons. No atmosphere to slow you down.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Yeah, besides, on any planet with atmosphere the ion engine is going to speed you up, rather than slow you down. (Extra gravitational acceleration due to additional mass)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Yeah, besides, on any planet with atmosphere the ion engine is going to speed you up, rather than slow you down. (Extra gravitational acceleration due to additional mass)
Galileo would be ashamed.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile

The big rocket is starting to get better. It doesn't fall apart anymore, but the first atomic engine stage doesn't have enough raw power to retain altitude for long enough to achieve orbit...

At least it flies very nicely before then.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com

No, no. Air resistance changes things. In a vacuum then density doesn't really matter.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Yeah. Pretty sure Eve and Duna are big enough that any change in the space-crafts mass is over-ridden by the HUGE HONKING PIECE OF ROCK PULLING IT TO IT'S DOOM.

*ahem* Carry on.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What were you going to use to land on whatever you were going to land on aside from Kerbin? Can't use parachutes on moons. No atmosphere to slow you down.
Parachute. (I was going to go for Eve.)

Extra mass means extra force. The ion engine does not get stronger with higher gravity. Hence, the (net) acceleration is higher.
Sig

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That wasn't part of the plan, no. But better Eve than a little spacecraft stranded in the middle of nowhere!
Sig

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

No, no. Air resistance changes things. In a vacuum then density doesn't really matter.
Yup, I was going for air resistance. Ion engines have rather high density, and low drag.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

Except you wrote extra gravitational eccelleration.

I know drag, but what's more is the gravitational force, accelleration being constant.
Pages: 1 ... 556 557 [558] 559 560 ... 848