Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 543 544 [545] 546 547 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1491081 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #8160 on: February 15, 2014, 10:55:28 am »

So, GWG, did you buy the full version already?
No. Partly, I'm waiting to invest until I can reliably get things into orbit; partly, I'm not eager to leave the save with my first successes on it.
Might not hurt to buy, though, to get more options...

If you get to the point where you can't properly launch your rockets becaues they're exploding, it's time to stop trying. Massively overengineered things are a MASSIVE PITA to get into orbit, you're better off launching them in seperate parts and then docking them in orbit.
Most of the "seperate parts" are stages intended to help get it into orbit. But yeah, I think you might have a point.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #8161 on: February 15, 2014, 11:09:57 am »

There are two very important things to getting stuff into orbit reliable:
1. Thrust to Weight Ratio. (If you don't have engines burning at full power or near full power the entire way up to orbit, you have too many engines)
2. Gravity turns, gravity turns, gravity turns.

Also, in the demo, I don't believe you have access to Mainsails, which make it a million times easier to get stuff to orbit. So the full game would probably turn you into a rocketeering god if you can get stuff to orbit in the demo.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8162 on: February 15, 2014, 11:21:47 am »

Cool.

Although sadly, downloading the full KSP overwrote the demo, so the two kerbals I got into orbit were deleted.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8163 on: February 15, 2014, 11:23:58 am »

What's a good setup for getting a large orange fuel tank up in orbit with enough fuel left for rendezvous with the core of a station?

Somehow got /this/ up there: http://filesmelt.com/dl/spessstation.png

But when I tried it with an OFT I ran out of gas.

Asparagus!
Last time I did a refuelling mission I was disappointed that I only got 7 orange tanks into space...
The answer to everything, it seems. Except more boosters and spacetape.

It's also a good idea to attach separate, steerable rockets to the side to steer the payload. That way, you won't use a drop of the fuel in the orange tank. The end result is also prettier.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8164 on: February 15, 2014, 11:35:44 am »

Cool.

Although sadly, downloading the full KSP overwrote the demo, so the two kerbals I got into orbit were deleted.
That just means you get to do it again. ^_^

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8165 on: February 15, 2014, 11:40:56 am »

As I said, SAS works differently in the full version.
SAS is built into most probes and stuff,  but that's just the control. ASAS doesn't exist anymore and you generally want to put as many reaction wheels everywhere as possible, because they give you more control.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8166 on: February 15, 2014, 11:43:05 am »

I decided to make a jet.

The engines didn't turn on. They said something about flaming out.

I might want to look for a tutorial.
Sig

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8167 on: February 15, 2014, 11:44:11 am »

They need..... oh right. Demo. No f*ing clue!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8168 on: February 15, 2014, 11:45:50 am »

He just installed the new version.
Jet engines need intakes to provide air.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8169 on: February 15, 2014, 12:32:25 pm »

Jet engines need intakes to provide air.
Guessed when I saw that intakes existed.

Anyways, I got a craft into orbit on the first try. A bit elliptical (A 448 km, P 71 km), but hey. First design, first launch, orbit. I'm guessing the Mainsail helped a lot.

The GoldJet had two air intakes added and...huh. Maybe if I added a third for the third engine?
There we go. Things were going fine until one of the wings smashed into the ground before it could get an inch off the ground. Then the rest of the plane hit the ground and exploded, probably because I filled the whole inside with jet fuel.
I think this counts as a failure of the highest degree. RIP, Jebediah Kerman. Oh look, a Revert button!
While trying to redesign the GoldJet, I discovered a way to zoom! Celebrations!
The redesign was slightly better, in that I remembered to eject the pilot before everything exploded.

I fiddle with the Orbital Rocket Mk I to add another stage and some solid-fuel boosters. What is not added, however, is a common-sense staging thing. I straighten it out and prepare to launch. Will I reach the Mun today? Bob Kerman, first-time pilot, is interested to know. And terrified.
The answer is no. I think one of the solid fuel boosters came off, but I'm not sure; I lost track of what was going on in my frenzy to eject and whatnot. So...not a terrible failure, but a failure.
Sig

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8170 on: February 15, 2014, 12:33:33 pm »

Also, if you want to go high-altitude, puts LOTS of intakes. You can fit a lot of them even without clipping them into each other, and with clipping you can fit dozens on.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8171 on: February 15, 2014, 12:41:08 pm »

I don't bother with the runway for launching jets anymore.

I just use the pylons to lift them from the surface, tilt them at an angle and depart that way.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8172 on: February 15, 2014, 01:49:27 pm »

Also, GWG, nosecones just slow your rocket down unless you install aerodynamic mods (FAR is the only one i know of)

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8173 on: February 15, 2014, 02:06:15 pm »

I've been mucking around with ion drives and I've found out there's really no point in using them for anything. They're too weak to make interplanetary transfers and there's no real need to do stationkeeping (and the RCS is far more suited to the task). Am I just doing something wrong or is this just how ion engines are?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8174 on: February 15, 2014, 02:09:02 pm »

Just how they are.
Pages: 1 ... 543 544 [545] 546 547 ... 848