Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 530 531 [532] 533 534 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1490838 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So are there any parts in the default game that act as a failsafe if your probes accidentally run out of batteries? That tends to be pretty infuriating - oh, I'll just aerobrake back to Kerbin with all this science and pack up the solar panels so they don't break, except I'm now somehow getting an accidental gravity assist from the Mun. Nevermind, I'll burn that off, wait what do you mean I'm out of batteries and now hurtling into solar orbit?
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That would be the thermoelectric thingie.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Free return trajectory by making sure you go around the moon in the opposite direction of its orbit instead of the same direction

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So are there any parts in the default game that act as a failsafe if your probes accidentally run out of batteries? That tends to be pretty infuriating - oh, I'll just aerobrake back to Kerbin with all this science and pack up the solar panels so they don't break, except I'm now somehow getting an accidental gravity assist from the Mun. Nevermind, I'll burn that off, wait what do you mean I'm out of batteries and now hurtling into solar orbit?

Use the RTGs (radioelectric thermoisotope generators, I think) for all the power you need short of beaming large amounts of data to Kerbin.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My method with probes is that I don't accidentally anything. Everything is well planned out... even if that plan is to wing it. You must go into it understanding that because of the relatively smaller size of everything involved, the margins of error are smaller. For a full manned mission you'll bring plenty of fuel along because you need plenty of fuel just to do the things you need to do. So if something goes wrong, you've got a lot more resources to play around with in order to get things back in one piece.

Yeah, you always have the option of overengineering the crap out of a probe... and I suppose that might be a very kerbal thing to do... but at the same time, if you're doing that, why not just send a kerbal instead?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile

So, I'm just now (in career mode) to the point that I can build planes. They fly! They land, mostly! Sometimes even intact! Mostly only partially intact, though.

Suggestions on what to do with planes? I've gotten data from all the Kerbin biomes except badlands, because I can't seem to find them.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've gotten data from all the Kerbin biomes except badlands, because I can't seem to find them.
Head east.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

My method with probes is that I don't accidentally anything. Everything is well planned out... even if that plan is to wing it. You must go into it understanding that because of the relatively smaller size of everything involved, the margins of error are smaller. For a full manned mission you'll bring plenty of fuel along because you need plenty of fuel just to do the things you need to do. So if something goes wrong, you've got a lot more resources to play around with in order to get things back in one piece.

Yeah, you always have the option of overengineering the crap out of a probe... and I suppose that might be a very kerbal thing to do... but at the same time, if you're doing that, why not just send a kerbal instead?
I do plan ahead. The plan is usually "deploy solar panels when I'm not aerobraking so they don't fall off." I'm just a forgetful bastard is all, and don't notice until I've time-warped halfway through the orbit and see the Munar "assist".

Also, I haven't acquired enough science for RTGs yet, but it seems that they're only a few missions to various astronomical bodies away, so I might hit up Moho to finish it off once I (finally) finish rescuing that poor Kerbal from the greedy surface of the Mun.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

... Is that a smiley face?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

Since they weigh so little, I always place one of those cheap-o non moving solar panels in every direction, so I at least get some power no matter which way I'm facing. It can be a life saver.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile

exept if you need to circularize during an eclipse :P

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

If you need to circularize during an eclipse and your battery isnt sufficient to keep your probe alive for the duration of said eclipse, folding solar panels aren't going to help you either. One of those thermoelectric doohickies would be plenty to keep it responsive, at least.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile

Or just use the flat non-deployed solars on the surface. Those won't rip off unless you've got something like deadly reentry burning them off.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile

I'm curious, do any other people here listen to music while they play this? A lot of the time I listen to Rick Astley while flying, because it fits.
Pages: 1 ... 530 531 [532] 533 534 ... 848