Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 519 520 [521] 522 523 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1490677 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7800 on: December 27, 2013, 10:05:12 am »

RemoteTech2 has been officially updated to .23. Time to start up a network.

Hasn't it been for a while?

There was an experimental build that was half-assed to sorta work.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7801 on: December 27, 2013, 01:38:49 pm »

I've fallen in love with the inflatable centrifuge mod. It just looks so pretty, IVA and all.

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #7802 on: December 27, 2013, 04:53:22 pm »

NYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH! GAAAAAAH! 80m! 80M! Done my first rondevous, done my first approach, about to dock the first time and kmp moves the station 500m! Don't have the heart to try again in single player.
I fixed this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My first docking!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 05:14:24 pm by Octobomb »
I saw 5 people with fedoras in my town yesterday.
They're the special biohazard containment agent, out to deal with m'laria.
Sig
Bay12's resident tea drinkers

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7803 on: December 27, 2013, 06:33:13 pm »

Congratulations Octobomb!
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #7804 on: December 27, 2013, 07:54:24 pm »

I feel all glowy inside now, thanks! It felt really good - so for those of you still struggling, it's easier than it cracks up to be, provided you take your time. There are plenty of good tutorials out there - I learnt it from my ever-patient friend. The way I do it is probably really inefficient but I've always over engineered my designs for that reason.

Tips:
Getting the first close encounter is the hardest part of rendezvous. The way I do it is to, once in roughly the same orbit as the target set up a manoeuvre node a little way ahead of where you are. Pull the prograde knob until your encounter becomes very close. Twiddle with the purple ones a bit if needed. Aim for 5km separation at least. Execute burn. I'm sure there is more fuel efficient routes involving multiple orbits - my method tends to take up 400-800m/s dV but it works. I used an x-16 tank, a poodle and 2 sas units.

Use an RCS balanced payload. I did this by just having the core the root part, building one half and using alt to duplicate the other. Larger payloads are probably better as they are more sluggish, although I think my RCS module might have been a bit too large.

I hope these tips help. They helped me!
Sig

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7805 on: December 28, 2013, 05:08:07 am »

Eh, I make a maneuver node to get the closest intersect possible and then I play the waiting game until the encounter markers get close enough. (Which can take a fairly long time :c )

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7806 on: December 28, 2013, 05:12:38 am »

I either:

1. Rendezvous directly from launch (if orbiting around equator of Kerbin)
2. Get into correct inclination with correct longitude of ascending node. Get in orbit that is higher or lower than object. Hohmann transfer and adjust as would do with moon or planet. Once near closest approach, zero relative velocity.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7807 on: December 28, 2013, 07:00:49 am »

I either:

2. Get into correct inclination with correct longitude of ascending node. Get in orbit that is higher or lower than object. Hohmann transfer and adjust as would do with moon or planet. Once near closest approach, zero relative velocity.

I love how this makes perfect sense to proficient dockers, but is pure gibberish to anybody having problem docking :)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7808 on: December 28, 2013, 04:07:15 pm »

You get to an artificial satellite exactly as you would a natural satellite (e.g moon) ;)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7809 on: December 28, 2013, 04:26:43 pm »

I either:

I love how this makes perfect sense to proficient dockers, but is pure gibberish to anybody having problem docking that has never flown a rocket :)

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7810 on: December 28, 2013, 05:03:42 pm »

Had my best interplanetary transfer yet last night on my way to Eve with a probe. I think I just managed to do the transfer close to the correct angle with guessing, after my correction at the ascending node i was on track for a nice 70000m aerocapture, no perfect equatorial orbit and all!

Magma is overrated.

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #7811 on: December 28, 2013, 05:33:31 pm »

You get to an artificial satellite exactly as you would a natural satellite (e.g moon) ;)
Yes, but natural satellites tend to have noticeable gravity. And be, y'know, bigger. And don't spin when you touch them. But I see your point.
Sig

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7812 on: December 28, 2013, 05:44:38 pm »

Well, they do spin. But not BECAUSE you touch them...
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7813 on: December 28, 2013, 05:50:25 pm »

Well, they do spin. But not BECAUSE you touch them...

spaceship touches satellite, satellite spins

can't explain that

Octobomb

• Bay Watcher
  • I like pens
    • View Profile
« Reply #7814 on: December 28, 2013, 05:51:13 pm »

My crew shuttle appears to have spring loaded docking ports. And no parachutes, but I'm not bothered.

*When the physics are strange*
*In LKO*
*Whatcha gonna use?*
*RCS thrusters!*

Thank goodness for my propensity to over prepare. Hey, Kerbal physics are best physics. But always be ready for them.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 519 520 [521] 522 523 ... 848