Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 517 518 [519] 520 521 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1490651 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7770 on: December 24, 2013, 05:55:39 am »

Remember guys, you can EVA and get the research from the goo/material units, so you only have to bring the capsule back, you can leave the used-up science containers on the surface.

My "hopper" design (no screenshots as I didn't save it :( ):
Code: [Select]
top:
 O
OOO
 O

side:
   /\
 ##||##
 ||||||
 ||^^||
/^^  ^^\

|| = fuel tank
/\ = capsule
/ and \ = landing legs
## = science module (also goo and other stuff, so 4x each)
Use the side-burners to hop around, and the central one with just the capsule is just enough to get home, you decouple the side modules when you leave. Eventually only the capsule lands.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7771 on: December 24, 2013, 05:58:27 am »

Yep. That is how I return all science now.

EVA, grab all of the data, ditch the rest of the craft and the return stage burns back home. Eventually just the capsule lands on parachutes.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7772 on: December 24, 2013, 09:11:37 am »

I now bring back everything because of kerbal economy

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7773 on: December 24, 2013, 06:10:55 pm »

You know that feeling, when you land your sciencehopper next to your refueling station, connect them to refuel, and then accidentally press the shift key?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Goddamnit.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7774 on: December 24, 2013, 07:49:53 pm »

Remember guys, you can EVA and get the research from the goo/material units, so you only have to bring the capsule back, you can leave the used-up science containers on the surface.

Whoa, you can WHAT now? 

That would make returns CONSIDERABLY more economical.  No, what I mean is that I am conscious of the environment, waste not want not, leave no trace, etc.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7775 on: December 25, 2013, 05:00:18 am »

Whoa, you can WHAT now? 

That would make returns CONSIDERABLY more economical.  No, what I mean is that I am conscious of the environment, waste not want not, leave no trace, etc.
All science units, by the way, but the other ones are actually re-usable (Do science, EVA, get data, and you can re-use the item again).

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7776 on: December 25, 2013, 05:27:26 am »

Whoa, you can WHAT now? 

All science units, by the way, but the other ones are actually re-usable (Do science, EVA, get data, and you can re-use the item again).
In regards to bringing the science bay along, wasn't it mentioned somewhere that it can reload the experiments? I.e. the goo pods and materials bays.

Also, the capsules should totally have limited amount of storage for non-verbal reports - samples, goo, materials analyses, etc. Because it seems we've jumped into the other extreme - right now transmitting via the lab module is pointless if you're returning the Kerbals anyways.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7777 on: December 25, 2013, 01:26:32 pm »

I'm going to cross-post this from the KSP subreddit; it's my plan to make the science bay more... useful.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

To summarize, make it so that the science bay can repeat all other experiments with a long-term study that takes a large amount of time in-game. This makes it useful for space stations and bases, and also makes it most useful for doing in-depth research in places you've already been.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7778 on: December 25, 2013, 01:33:36 pm »

Sounds nice, but I'd suggest a much simpler idea: Just make a science lab increase the transmission cutoff by a significant amount; instead of increasing 20% to 22%, increase it to 75% or something.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7779 on: December 25, 2013, 01:40:54 pm »

I would like it better if it could hold more things, transfering data from landers into it thean returning it to kerbin would be interesting.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7780 on: December 25, 2013, 01:50:44 pm »

I would like it better if it could hold more things, transfering data from landers into it thean returning it to kerbin would be interesting.
You can do that I believe... EVA kerbals can transfer data.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7781 on: December 25, 2013, 05:08:29 pm »

Really? Good.
Now just do it for ALL THE THINGS.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7782 on: December 25, 2013, 05:40:21 pm »

Actually that does work for all experiments, as far as I can tell. That's exactly what I did on my minmus expedition; transfer everything to the orbitting lab via EVA and then reset the goo cans and materials bay.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7783 on: December 25, 2013, 08:51:56 pm »

So couldn't one assemble a nice ship in orbit with several landers and then just visit each planet? Land a lander, launch and dock. Transfer all data to the lab and clean the experiments. Rinse and repeat. When you're done return to kerbin and drop the lab into the atmosphere on parachutes, or even just transfer it all to a pod/lander.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7784 on: December 25, 2013, 08:58:03 pm »

You could do that even without the lab. Mothership goes to visit all planets. Returns probes/landers to Kerbin.
Pages: 1 ... 517 518 [519] 520 521 ... 848