Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 515 516 [517] 518 519 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1490631 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7740 on: December 21, 2013, 09:40:16 pm »

okay, clearly my question isnt clear, so I'll try again:

Setting a maneuver node predicts your course accurately, yes.  it shows you your exact path, up until a planetary encounter begins and ends.

What you cant see, or what I dont know how to see, is the specific details WITHIN that encounter.  I want to see my periapsis for the target planet, and where the target planet will be exactly during that point in time.

Where the planet will be is not displayed (or i cant figure out how to display it) until you actually begin the encounter with the planet.  At that time, your path is re-drawn relative to the planet its self.  And now, you can aim at the planet and see your periapsis and everything.

But since you are so much closer now, adjustments are much more expensive.

edit:  i take it back, i can see the periapsis inside the encounter, but I cant tell where the planet is or how to adjust it -- nor can I see any moons if I wanted to be aiming for one of them insteadl
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 09:49:47 pm by puke »

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7741 on: December 21, 2013, 09:49:59 pm »

If I'm understanding you correctly you want to open settings.cfg and increase CONIC_PATCH_LIMIT. It sets the number of future orbits you can see, but each is less accurate than the one preceding it. You can even change CONIC_PATCH_DRAW_MODE (0,1,2,3,4) to see if you prefer one of the others. I use the precise node mod to let me change these on the fly and mode 30 for fine tuning interplanetary transfers.

Edit: Draw modes explained.

Edit: The transfer guide that helped me a lot in the beginning.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 09:57:18 pm by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7742 on: December 21, 2013, 10:35:02 pm »

ah, that looks promising.  Will give it a try, thanks!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7743 on: December 22, 2013, 11:25:56 am »

KSP is on the Steam Flash sale. You have less than two hours to buy a xmas present for all your astronaut friends.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #7744 on: December 22, 2013, 10:28:42 pm »

Pull off a 6 on 6 docking rendezvous on my first attempt, and it was the most smooth docking in the entire time I've played KSP.
Spoiler: The Results (click to show/hide)

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7745 on: December 22, 2013, 10:31:54 pm »

Some of us aren't as incredibly suave when it comes to docking, :P
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7746 on: December 23, 2013, 12:21:36 am »

Er, no biggie. I'm pretty good at docking.

*looks at image*

HOLY JESUS CHRIST ON A FLAMING POGO STICK

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7747 on: December 23, 2013, 02:31:30 am »

That is simply ridiculous. Why would you even want to do that!?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #7748 on: December 23, 2013, 03:38:30 am »

Hehehe. Just did better.
There and back again: The Kerbals' Tale of their journey to the Sun.
So, figured I would use a modified version of that station's tail for a mission to de-orbit the sun and get as close as possible. I succeeded beyond my best hopes.
So it started with a craft; the Death Mk 3.Science; a sensible name for any mission to the sun.

While the craft does need optimizing, as its T:W ratio is around 1:1 for most of the ascent, it did serve its purpose admirably. It launched such that it could de-orbit the sun without making any course corrections (simply a launch at dusk). The details are rather dull; typical solar de-orbiting. 8 stage rocket, all told; spend 1 through 6 on the de-orbit, with a little under half of 7 and all of 8 remaining as it fell inwards. The remaining craft at this point is shown in image 1 (see bottom of post for the imgur album).

It lined up the descent such that it would graze just above the surface of the Sun. As a side note, you can apparently get near sun science at 880 million meters, possibly higher. So anyway, they got increasingly closer to the sun; and as they did, I notice the mesh of the sun itself was well below the surface, in a rather large way. So, I dropped the orbit such that they would try and go below the surface. To serve as an early warning system for the exploration, it fired off 2 of the 6 engines in the stage 7 assembly. They go straight as an arrow, and end up quite out in front of the craft; or in this case, below. As the surface approached, I watched as the two engines descended below the craft; one to around 90km, the other to 25km. At 90km from the surface, the first vanished; it had clearly impacted. The surface of the sun apparatently is the surface. I immediately turned the craft around, thrusting straight up at full thrust to avoid the fate of the first engine. At 25km from the surface, the second engine hit. The altitude meter continued spinning downwards as the craft ran for its life from the approaching surface. It leveled out at a mere 15km, with the craft travelling at around 90km/s relative to the surface. The resulting craft is in the second image.

This burn had used about 1/3 of the fuel remaining in stage 7 and thrown off the transfer orbit a bit. I had never intended to get this craft back; it didn't even have landing gear or parachutes! And yet, I arranged a transfer orbit back to Kerbin after only a year. I reduced the periapsis to 37.5km; intending to do a hard aerocapture maneuver. If the craft went too low, it was mission over; this thing couldn't survive a landing. Too high, and it would escape from Kerbin's gravity and never been seen again. Unfortunately, the entire thing was off the cuff; I had never done such an aerocapture on Kerbin, and so wasn't sure what altitude would give me 6000m/s of dv. Turns out, 37.5km was way too high. It burned off a mere 1000m/s; and after burning every drop of fuel remaining, was heading out at 2000m/s. 13 hours to escape the gravity well. I needed an interceptor.

And so, the Deadalus R3, a modified version of the head of the station, was created. This variation had much more fuel at launch, and enough dv to catch up to and retrieve the Kerbals from their sun mission. After an hour or so of course corrections and various maneuverings, the craft intercepted the pod of the Death Mk 3.Science, retrieving its 3 Kerbals. A Hohmann Transfer was then made, and the rescue R3 docked at the station.

Pics: http://imgur.com/a/yXm2c
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 03:41:26 am by alway »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7749 on: December 23, 2013, 07:08:20 am »

What the fuck, alway.
* miauw62 claps

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7750 on: December 23, 2013, 07:55:14 am »

Pull off a 6 on 6 docking rendezvous on my first attempt, and it was the most smooth docking in the entire time I've played KSP.
Spoiler: The Results (click to show/hide)
Wait a moment, 6 on 6 docking? Is that even possible? I thought struts were the only parts able to create connected loops.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7751 on: December 23, 2013, 08:58:04 am »

Hehehe. Just did better.
There and back again: The Kerbals' Tale of their journey to the Sun.
So, figured I would use a modified version of that station's tail for a mission to de-orbit the sun and get as close as possible. I succeeded beyond my best hopes.

What!? de-orbit the sun!
I am literally crying with laughter!

@McFry
Yeah, some of us veterans remember when docking was introduced, and there was a flurry of experimentation with multiple docking, to stop space stations being so jiggly!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 08:59:42 am by ank »

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7752 on: December 23, 2013, 11:20:23 am »

I used to use 6 on 6 docking as well, but then I noticed that for big ships, it added too many parts. tried to switch to 3 ports, butit is a bit harder to dock that way.

I think only one port is really docked, but the other ports still provide structural stability.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7753 on: December 23, 2013, 11:59:21 am »

You could try 3 on 3 clampotron sr docking.

EDIT:

This is in the most recent version. Not my screenie, but somebody managed to fuck up HARD.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 12:35:14 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #7754 on: December 23, 2013, 12:59:55 pm »

I used to use 6 on 6 docking as well, but then I noticed that for big ships, it added too many parts. tried to switch to 3 ports, butit is a bit harder to dock that way.

I think only one port is really docked, but the other ports still provide structural stability.
All 6 give the 'undock' option, so as far as I can tell, all 6 are in fact docked. Quite shocking considering I usually bollocks up a 1 to 1 dock several times before connecting. :P
Pages: 1 ... 515 516 [517] 518 519 ... 848