Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 511 512 [513] 514 515 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1490547 times)

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7680 on: December 18, 2013, 10:27:31 pm »

...So. As it turns out. I really shouldn't be allowed to use KAS. Unlocked winches, started fiddling. A few discoveries about how they work later, what did I make?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Not anything useful, that's for sure. At least Jeb had fun!
...Little too much fun there Jeb.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7681 on: December 19, 2013, 07:36:47 am »

Kerbal Rocket Surgery (modded) community game is moving to .23

some parts are still beta, and we're selecting which restriction to add to the exponential science growth! come and vote!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=133030.msg4847204#msg4847204

Spoiler: mod mix (click to show/hide)

nyulzsiraf

• Bay Watcher
  • Panic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7682 on: December 19, 2013, 02:49:34 pm »

Rover test :)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7683 on: December 19, 2013, 02:58:44 pm »

What's the intake for? (Besides looking badass)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7684 on: December 19, 2013, 03:35:12 pm »

probably causing it to violently self-destruct if it flips. This game's physics don't always make sense :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #7685 on: December 19, 2013, 04:54:07 pm »

probably causing it to violently self-destruct if it flips. This game's physics don't always make sense :P
AKA Michael Bay-Physics.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

nyulzsiraf

• Bay Watcher
  • Panic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7686 on: December 19, 2013, 05:29:29 pm »

What's the intake for? (Besides looking badass)
only for the design, cos it's looking badass with it 8)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7687 on: December 19, 2013, 05:35:23 pm »

speaking of violent explosions, it's amusing anecdote time:

started a fresh career game in .23, and went fishing for cheap local science with shoddy rockets.  One flight was particularly poorly aimed, and time warp had caused it to be coming down with a broken parachute. 

Batteries were depleted, so reaction wheels were not running.  I was pretty sure the whole thing was going to blow on impact, so I sent the pilot out to get a high-atmosphere EVA report and maybe he'd make it.  It was an absurd idea, but for some retarded reason I thought that I could jump and hit the ocean.  The rocket was over water, but had enough angular momentum that it was aiming to crash on dry land.  I thought maybe I could use the pilot's jetpack to make him hit the water and hopefully slow his decent enough to survive.

Well, he hit the waves like a ripe tomato hits asphalt.

Meanwhile, a girder and an empty liquid fuel tank act as cushions as the rocket crashes, and the only component to survive the decent is the now vacant crew capsule.

Actually got some science from the experiments in the capsule after recovering it, but it was a real headsmack moment there when I saw the capsule had survived after I foolishly made the little guy bail out.

sometimes I wish they could be given personal parachutes, add some HALO opportunities.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #7688 on: December 19, 2013, 05:42:33 pm »

You forgot to mention the state of panic.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7689 on: December 19, 2013, 05:42:59 pm »

Water is far more dangerous than land. Land will cause explosions which can slow you down and maybe you'll survive. Water instakills any part that hits it too fast.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7690 on: December 19, 2013, 05:49:46 pm »

I have the vanguard mod that adds EVA parachutes so I can actually bail out

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7691 on: December 19, 2013, 06:20:43 pm »

I have the vanguard mod that adds EVA parachutes so I can actually bail out

Do you mix it with the deadly-reentry mod? 

I had an EVA go wrong, and watched in horror (okay, I was actually giggling like a schoolgirl) as Jeb floated away from his ship.  Something had cocked up my shift-key, and I couldnt move vertically. 

Anyway, Jeb had a huge grin as he streaked through the sky on fire.  Of course he died in the end, but in reality should have burned up as the atmosphere compressed under him.

Parachutes without deadly-reentry would create an ultra cheap method of returning scientific experiment data from orbit -- you wouldnt need to return capsules, just have kerbals jump out with the experiment data in hand and burn retrograde.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7692 on: December 19, 2013, 06:40:13 pm »

Parachutes without deadly-reentry would create an ultra cheap method of returning scientific experiment data from orbit -- you wouldnt need to return capsules, just have kerbals jump out with the experiment data in hand and burn retrograde.

And you have a problem with this because?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7693 on: December 19, 2013, 06:45:01 pm »

When I did use deadly reentry I had emergency return pods which were just external command chairs strapped to heat shields with a tiny amount of RCS and a parachute.

Fun times.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7694 on: December 19, 2013, 07:49:34 pm »

SO MANY MUN BIOMES
There's a lot. I didn't know about the little Midland and Highland craters until today.

I have not found the Minmus Highlands yet.
Pages: 1 ... 511 512 [513] 514 515 ... 848