Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 502 503 [504] 505 506 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1490379 times)

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7545 on: December 10, 2013, 05:08:43 pm »

I was doing some aerodynamic science with FAR and a few part mods to determine the best parts to use to decrease a rocket's drag and the results are quite shocking.

The most aerodynamic part I found was the stock circular intake. Even open, the intake handily beat all the nosecones and fairings I tested. When it was closed, it got even more aerodynamic, adding a further 10 km of height to my test rocket's flight. The next closest thing was also an intake, this time from B9 Aerospace.

So if you're using FAR, don't bother messing around with nosecones and fairings, just put an intake on top of your rocket.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7546 on: December 10, 2013, 09:26:12 pm »

This happened.

The first time that happened with KAS I panicked and thought I did something horrible wrong. Luckily, debris just counts as the last "ship" it was on. Jeb counts as a "ship" so it was his debris.
Yeah but Jeb didn't actually leave the pod. Ever. There weren't any of these things on my ship.

What the... Jeb has ascended into godhood apparently.
Is that "Tomato" debris I see?
Will I soon become a tiny generator as well?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7547 on: December 10, 2013, 09:58:18 pm »

Nah, it's spacecraft parts. It's just an AluminumTomato
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7548 on: December 11, 2013, 06:31:36 am »

All my current rockets are named Tomato because I couldn't come up with a better name.
Also I did my first docking ever :D

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #7549 on: December 11, 2013, 06:38:38 am »

All my current rockets are named Tomato because I couldn't come up with a better name.
Also I did my first docking ever :D

I did my first docking ever last night as well. such a good feeling when all of a sudden, :screenshift:, oh yeah, it's all connected :D
I was watching the docking cam numbers so intensely I almost didn't realise I'd docked.

:brofist:

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7550 on: December 11, 2013, 02:11:56 pm »

I remain unable to land on the Mun, tough. First attempted manned Mun landing:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All Kerbals are alive, solar panels are dead, but I brought a spare solar panel in one of those KAS containers.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

From left to right, Angee, Jebediah and Hadlan Kerman. The first Kerbals to set foot on the Mun. Angee is the couragous guy, Jeb is Jeb and Hadlan is the stupid guy.
I'll probably let them rot on the Mun until I can figure out how to properly do a rescue mission. At least their ship is somewhat powered.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 02:24:58 pm by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7551 on: December 11, 2013, 02:30:35 pm »

Very Pic
Much Nothing
So Curious

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7552 on: December 11, 2013, 02:37:15 pm »

Jeb wants to sit around a campfire until help arrives. But it's a bit difficult to do a campfire without an atmosphere. So he retrieves the thermonuclear battery and whacks it until it starts leaking incandescent particles. Now there's a "fire"...
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7553 on: December 11, 2013, 05:05:57 pm »

Kerbalkon schedule posted!

Over 24 hours of streams, and the release of 0.23! Should be pretty interesting.

EDIT: Apparently it's not getting released during Kerbalkon, but next Tuesday.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 05:23:42 pm by Glloyd »

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7554 on: December 11, 2013, 07:03:34 pm »

B9 aerospace has absolutely beautiful parts, and an equally beautiful variety. Since I've pretty much mastered the basics of plane making in vanilla KSP, I thought I'd give it a try.

However my "nope" meter has filled all the way by now. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but the planes I try to built with this have never gotten off the ground as of yet. They always either violently turn to the left, or tip increasingly fast left to right until both sides slam into the ground. I didn't make them any different than how I made my usual planes.

Advice plox?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7555 on: December 11, 2013, 08:06:25 pm »

Perhaps B9 is designed to work with FAR?
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7556 on: December 11, 2013, 08:40:18 pm »

Part of the problem is that B9 parts are incredibly heavy.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7557 on: December 11, 2013, 11:21:43 pm »

Yea I found that out too.  Notice that the smallest B9 wing is bigger than ALL the vanilla wings?   ...Yea...

You need lots of wing surface to get those in the air, not only that, you may want to double or even triple up on the landing gear.  Believe it or not they have a weight tolerance, and you may be veering to side to side because one of your wheels have buckled under the weight. (not sure if buckling is the right word, it's kinda like the weight causes them to behave abnormally) I had good luck with adding spacetape to the wheels, as well as placing 2 side by side where on a smaller plane I would only put one.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7558 on: December 11, 2013, 11:41:06 pm »

I believe B9 includes its own set of wheels too?  It basically seeks to replace all the stock aviation parts with its own, which is... eh...

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7559 on: December 12, 2013, 12:29:19 am »

Yeah, landing gear will do that to you. Sometimes it's because the gear themselves wobble under the weight, sometimes it's because the jet 'bounces' on the runway -just enough- to take one side up, causing the veer. Runway veering is my nemesis.
Pages: 1 ... 502 503 [504] 505 506 ... 848