Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 501 502 [503] 504 505 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1490350 times)

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7530 on: December 05, 2013, 09:33:49 am »

Been playing a bit with FAR installed. I've found that my normal designs are waaay too top heavy and I've started putting my payload on the bottom or in the middle of the rocket... looks odd but it works very well.

I have found that the important thing with FAR is to have lots of drag on the tail, like intakes for a plane, and wings for rockets. It will keep the craft stable in the atmosphere.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7531 on: December 05, 2013, 03:37:59 pm »

Been playing a bit with FAR installed. I've found that my normal designs are waaay too top heavy and I've started putting my payload on the bottom or in the middle of the rocket... looks odd but it works very well.

I have found that the important thing with FAR is to have lots of drag on the tail, like intakes for a plane, and wings for rockets. It will keep the craft stable in the atmosphere.
I've had good results as long as I keep the CoL in front of the CoM and the CoT as close as possible to the CoM as well.

ank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7532 on: December 06, 2013, 11:27:05 am »

The thing is, that drag has no effect on the CoL, which means you can't use CoL alone to design the ship.
I found out about this by placing a lot of air intakes on the front, and I made my plane very flip-happy, because it wanted to fly backwards. removing the air intakes made it more stable, but putting the intakes back on, this time on the rear of the plane, made it super-stable.
No change was made to the CoL at all.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7533 on: December 09, 2013, 06:35:47 am »

All of my yes.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #7534 on: December 09, 2013, 06:59:26 am »

I notice there has been talk in here of Orion, but no real Orion has ever been had.

Well, we do have one, here: Behold, the most dwarven of propulsion systems.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #7535 on: December 09, 2013, 09:26:29 am »

We've linked that before.

:P

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7536 on: December 09, 2013, 11:26:45 am »

I love on about p102 where Winchell Chung plays with the numbers for using a Tsar Bomba for interplanetary transits.

40m pusher plate.  my gord.

I always wondered if there was a way to get more efficiency from your payload by detonating it inside a bell instead of behind a pusher plate, but I guess we lack the material science to do that in a mass-efficient way.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7537 on: December 09, 2013, 11:37:40 am »

I am looking at the wiki and the push plate is not bell shaped because the bomb is: the bomb casing encourages the mass ejection in the direction of the plate.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #7538 on: December 09, 2013, 01:00:33 pm »

So here's a challenge:

Kerbal Astronomers are really, really sure this time. In exactly [X] years, a huge asteroid will strike Kerbin, obliterating the planet. Top scientists then added, "It'll look really, really cool." Additionally, all kerbals on the planet would die. Your mission: get as many kerbals as possible off-planet to Lathe, where astronomers agree they'll have the best view. And they won't be destroyed in a supersonic pressure wave.

As an open-ended mission, it's more of a competition to see how many kerbals you can rescue. A target number of 200 would be appropriate, if straining on any PC.

X can be 50 for Easy, 20 for Medium, 10 for Hard, and 2 for Manley. If you play in Career mode and start with 0 science, then increase the difficulty by one (10 years is pretty Manley for that).

Suggested mods: Kethane, Extraplanetary Launchpads.

Additional challengers: Add life-support needs so your ships have to carry oxygen on the trip over. Require substantial habitats on Lathe instead of just a single seat each. Assume that each ship takes some time to build. Never, ever revert flights.

I think the only way to achiever Manley Mode is to launch an entire armada all at once. It would take some pretty handsome juggling.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #7539 on: December 09, 2013, 01:04:49 pm »

Add the alarm clock to the mod list and I am game

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #7540 on: December 09, 2013, 01:13:02 pm »

Sounds pretty easy if you just get everyone into orbit, then send them off on their trajectories one at a time. After all, you don't have to stay with them the whole time, you can use that 2-5 year transfer time to work on other missions instead of timewarping it away.

I made a rig that can get 37 Kerbals into orbit at once (tragically collided with Laythe), though it would need a new propulsion system as currently it runs on the solar sails mod. But the rest of it is 100% stock.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7542 on: December 10, 2013, 02:07:24 pm »

This happened.

The first time that happened with KAS I panicked and thought I did something horrible wrong. Luckily, debris just counts as the last "ship" it was on. Jeb counts as a "ship" so it was his debris.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7543 on: December 10, 2013, 02:19:17 pm »

This happened.

The first time that happened with KAS I panicked and thought I did something horrible wrong. Luckily, debris just counts as the last "ship" it was on. Jeb counts as a "ship" so it was his debris.
Yeah but Jeb didn't actually leave the pod. Ever. There weren't any of these things on my ship.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7544 on: December 10, 2013, 02:26:09 pm »

This happened.

Yeah but Jeb didn't actually leave the pod. Ever. There weren't any of these things on my ship.

What the... Jeb has ascended into godhood apparently.
Pages: 1 ... 501 502 [503] 504 505 ... 848