Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 497 498 [499] 500 501 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1490248 times)

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7470 on: November 27, 2013, 12:05:51 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
This is my second time docking, and by the end I had less then one unit of liquid fuel.    The space station is a rocket that can be sent anywhere, and contains all the fuel that could be needed by any vessel.   The shuttle ducking with it is fully capable of going to the Mun, landing, taking off, and then redocking in orbit around Kerbin.   I plan on eventually installing a kethane mine on the Mun and Minimus, along with building a SSTO plane that can take Kerbals to and from Kerbin orbit.  Once that's done the only waste I'll have will be in putting space stations into orbit.   

A revolver thing might be cool. Expeshally if you get it to revolve.
The first use would be aiming it at a space station.  Russian roulette is childs play compared to Kerbal roulette.   
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Sinlessmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • [Trollinging Intensifies]
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #7471 on: November 27, 2013, 12:23:55 am »

Alright guys, can you give me a run down of all the essential mods I need? As well as any hints or tips? I haven't fully devoted myself to playing the game, other than dabbling occasionally so any suggestions would be nice.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7472 on: November 27, 2013, 12:45:10 am »

Alright guys, can you give me a run down of all the essential mods I need? As well as any hints or tips? I haven't fully devoted myself to playing the game, other than dabbling occasionally so any suggestions would be nice.
Deadly Re-Entry makes for a lot more Fun performing space travel.
FAR totally redoes the KSP aerodynamics model, and makes things like aerodynamic nosecones actually make sense and perform well.
KAS adds a lot of really interesting winches and containers that can stow small parts, like radial parachutes and solar panels, which makes EVA far more useful.
Kethane adds planetary fuels that can be mined and converted to become usable fuel, although the amount of fuel at a site isn't infinite, you can edit some files to add arbitrarily large amounts of fuel, I think.  Modding the parts yourself to also produce things like argon, hydrogen, or other mod-resources is also possible.
RemoteTech 2 has some interesting effects of handling science data transfer in that it demands a satellite network that links back to KSP to actually transmit science, and requires a satellite link to operate a probe.
Mechjeb 2 is your standard autopilot + engineer.
Kerbal Engineer is just a lot of information about your craft.

These are the ones that come to my mind and are popular or I use.  There's plenty others, especially since I avoid part packs and focus on mods that add new mechanics.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #7473 on: November 27, 2013, 01:05:09 am »

Planet Factory - adds a bunch of really hard to get to planets, a fun late game goal.

City lights and clouds - I can't play without this. Makes Kerbin look amazing, Laythe look stunning, and Eve look not like shit. Seriously. It makes Eve look like Venus, from the ground and space, it's awesome.

I hate part packs, so the only other mod I use is KAS. Oh, and the IVA's for the Mark 2 and Mark 3 cockpits, because I use IVA a lot.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #7474 on: November 27, 2013, 01:23:54 am »

There aren't really any "essential" mods. The base game can be quite fun and challenging as-is, especially if you only play occasionally. I'd only begin to expand it if you are feeling bored or limited by what it offers.

Some things like Enhanced Navball, Kerbal Engineer Redux, and the Mk2/Mk3 IVA views are nice to give the game a sense of completeness without changing it.

KAS (Kerbal Attachment System) and Kethane are great baseline additions to expand the amount of things to do on your missions to anywhere. They add few parts (for the most part), and, with some exceptions, fit in pretty well with stock parts.

FAR (Ferram Aerospace Research) and Deadly Reentry seriously change how the game plays - rockets have it easier, planes have it a little harder, and both need extra planning on reentry. The mods add next to no parts on their own, but pretty much require using a plugin such as Procedural Fairings, to keep your craft streamlined.

After that are the parts packs, mostly. A lot of people seem to use NovaPunch - a general expansion of rocketry parts. I very much like the Near Future Propulsion Pack - a mod focusing on a set of high-efficiency electric thrusters that is realistic and fits with the stock KSP theme, as well as the means to produce enough electricity to power said thrusters. There is also KSP Interstellar, a similar (in premise) mod that goes rather further with the whole "future propulsion" thing by adding a Warp Drive and assorted futuristic engines.

There are also less stock-fitting mods that are also popular, like the B9 Aerospace Pack, Infernal Robotics, Firespitter Propeller Parts Pack, the ever-controversial MechJeb, and an assortment of others.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #7475 on: November 27, 2013, 07:28:14 am »

Also get the Vanguard EVA parachutes. I use them to bail out of disastrous launches because I never use the 'revert to launch' option in career mode.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7476 on: November 27, 2013, 09:22:38 am »

KAS and Remotetech may have problems. I've reported it to the Remotetech guy and hopefully things will be resolved. Hopefully KAS doesn't rebreak it.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7477 on: November 27, 2013, 09:25:41 am »

Or you can just use the radials and KAS.
And ninjaed.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7478 on: November 27, 2013, 03:10:14 pm »

Does this game always take 20 minutes to load when you have 10 mods?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7479 on: November 27, 2013, 03:12:37 pm »

What mods?
The more parts there are the longer it takes.
Highly Opinionated Fool

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7480 on: November 27, 2013, 03:15:15 pm »

Does this game always take 20 minutes to load when you have 10 mods?

All part mods? Then yes, probably.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7481 on: November 27, 2013, 04:13:39 pm »

Out of all of them, 4 are part mods AFAIK.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7482 on: November 27, 2013, 04:14:41 pm »

What partmods? B9?
Highly Opinionated Fool

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7483 on: November 27, 2013, 04:18:42 pm »

B9, Interstellar, Kethane, Procedural Fairings.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7484 on: November 27, 2013, 04:42:52 pm »

Mostly the first three then...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Pages: 1 ... 497 498 [499] 500 501 ... 848