Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1489182 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #6900 on: November 03, 2013, 03:19:43 pm »

No, those are the altitudes. A biome is the type of ground under your probe (highlands, shores, ocean etc...), and there is a separate science deposit for every possible combination of altitude and biome.

only some some combination are differentiated for experiments: like the crew report is the same science pool anywhere in space near kerbin while eva use different science pool per biome.

Carnwennan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #6901 on: November 03, 2013, 03:43:34 pm »

I got a magneto-probe from KI into orbit around Duna. Pretty decent amount of science since I used Ike to circularize and got some bonus points from that, and it gives me some info on those negative particle thingies I'm going to need later.

Do those itty-bitty probodyne fuel canisters have any actual use? The final satellite stage was going to use them to tighten the orbit around Duna, but they ran out in a split second even with the smallest engine I had.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #6902 on: November 03, 2013, 04:03:40 pm »

The itty-bitty canisters are basicaly useful as padding between toroidal tanks, the actual amount of fuel they carry is pretty low. They're also lightweight and easy to stack. A small satellite can get decent delta-V out of them with an inline 909 engine.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #6903 on: November 03, 2013, 08:32:05 pm »

I realise it's not much, but I landed my first kerbal on the Mun and returned safely :D.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #6904 on: November 03, 2013, 08:34:48 pm »

Just downloaded Extraplanetary Launchpads, KAS, Kethane, MissionController, and NearFuture. Time to go nuts. With a fresh career, of course, since having all the science to start with would just be no fun at all. >:D
Well, added FAR to this list, disabled Mission Controller. It's basically impossible to keep a positive balance in combination with unmodded costs for certain mods in that bunch. Like the NearFuture parts, which are several million each.

Also, today I created an amazing monstrosity to serve as my new Kerbin Atmospheric Science Research Vessel.

A bicycle 3-mast ship.
I really like the things you can do with FAR's drag model. Now that drag is properly based on exposed surface area, I can actually make awesome aircraft! :D

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6905 on: November 03, 2013, 08:34:57 pm »

I realise it's not much, but I landed my first kerbal on the Mun and returned safely :D.

Kudos!  Once you can do that, all you need is bigger rockets and you can do anything.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6906 on: November 03, 2013, 08:46:34 pm »

Err... I am working on a module system outa stock parts for bases... Want to go laugh at them?
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6907 on: November 03, 2013, 09:08:11 pm »

The Mun landing is a good part of the battle.  Once you can go there and return you know enough that it's not too much more work to do everything else. 

So I've modded my plane from earlier in an attempt to make a SSTO plane that can return and land safely.  These are the results-
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I made two more models, but I don't have any pictures of them.  One is the longsword series and the other the rapier series.   The longsword could climb the fastest and could take off after only a few seconds, and could then go almost vertical but suffered at high altitudes.   The rapier series' main difference from the Sabre was that I put a bi-coupler by the cockpit so I could put two atmoc engines.  Still wasn't enough. and the added weight made the max altitude ceiling around 23,000 meters. 
I decided to forgo the SSTO designations on all my planes and just called them "High altitude reconnaissance vehicles."  I might even put a sunbeam module on the Sabre and make it an interceptor.  You know, for when the alliums arrive.   
Chances are that the Sabre will be the most accomplished of that whole design scheme.  Tomorrow I'm going to replace the atomic engine, replace it with a regular liquid engine, and replace two of the jet fuel containers with some equivalent weight liquid fuel containers.   I'll also replace the set off circular intakes and another set of ramjet intakes.  If that doesn't work I'll have to go back to the drawing board.   
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, 09:42:09 pm by Lightningfalcon »
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6908 on: November 03, 2013, 11:42:38 pm »

Any landing you can walk away from needed more boosters.

That seems like a reasonable design to me.  Should be able to fit another two rocket boosters on the ends of those ram intakes for more 'get to space' oomph, but then you'll be weighed down even more during takeoff.  SSTOs are a delicate balancing act.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6909 on: November 04, 2013, 12:05:06 am »

I wonder how many people take the 'needs more boosters' thing seriously and wonder why they never accomplish anything more than spectacular explosions.
Anyway, what are the limits of asparagus? Is there any point in which you just can't shove more layers on something and have to find a new solution?
Nothing important here, move along.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6911 on: November 04, 2013, 12:08:27 am »

I wonder how many people take the 'needs more boosters' thing seriously and wonder why they never accomplish anything more than spectacular explosions.
Anyway, what are the limits of asparagus? Is there any point in which you just can't shove more layers on something and have to find a new solution?

16 rockomax boosters for a 70 ton payload make you fly out of atmosphere at 400 m/s and that's not even a ridiculous setup

therefore a setup of one rockomax booster per 5 ton upper stage is optimal, though considering the weight of the rockomax booster itself, 7 tonnes are the actual payload said booster can take at takeoff

so theoretically, if you wanted to launch something that's 200 tonnes, you'd need 40 boosters strapped to it, and then a medium lifter stage so you actually make orbit

quality kerbalspace engineering

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6912 on: November 04, 2013, 12:09:08 am »

The only limit in KSP is your computer.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6913 on: November 04, 2013, 12:12:39 am »

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/56212-1000-Tonnes-to-Orbit
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 12:19:11 am by BigD145 »

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6914 on: November 04, 2013, 12:17:58 am »

Spoiler: Landing on duna (click to show/hide)

Ended up crashing ~1000 units of spare fuel into Kerbin on the way back, due to overengineerd lander.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 12:47:26 am by alexandertnt »
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!
Pages: 1 ... 459 460 [461] 462 463 ... 848