Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 455 456 [457] 458 459 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1489313 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #6840 on: November 01, 2013, 08:05:01 am »

I've got the game on Steam simply for the updates, and because the Squad download would OFTEN quit after about 30 seconds and take a dozen attempts to actually download.  It's pure convenience for me.  And if you do have it on Steam and don't like Steam, you can turn steam off, and go through the steamapps folder to find the game and run it directly without ever running Steam.

Also why do people keep hitting bugs with timewarp?  Seriously, when you start warping you start making physics guesses, sometimes not even 'best guess'.  Don't warp for anything you care to achieve with accuracy, and your first instinct with any issue should be to check your warp settings!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission
« Reply #6841 on: November 01, 2013, 08:12:32 am »

Also why do people keep hitting bugs with timewarp?  Seriously, when you start warping you start making physics guesses, sometimes not even 'best guess'.  Don't warp for anything you care to achieve with accuracy, and your first instinct with any issue should be to check your warp settings!

Uh? No actually there are no guesses involved and it is extremely precise. The ony problem is that at high warp will recognize the soi switch too late - when the time increment ends instead of on the soi boubdary. There is but one quirk, and easily avoided.

Edit: I see, maybe you were talking about the 4x physical time accelleration and then I agree

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6842 on: November 01, 2013, 08:23:51 am »

Warp's fine for 'stable' movement.  Continuing an orbit or moving through the bulk of a Homman.  But, warp can't handle change much, if at all.  When performing physics, or transitioning SOI, or anything else that MIGHT even cause a change in the game, warp just isn't built to handle it well at all.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6843 on: November 01, 2013, 11:00:27 am »

And you can still buy it from Squad directly and then transfer to Steam, if you like.
"Again please note that you will only be eligible for a transfer if you purchased the game before it was on Steam, no exceptions, please don't insist."
Welp, guess I missed that.
You can just add it as a third party game.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6844 on: November 01, 2013, 11:52:22 am »

And you can still buy it from Squad directly and then transfer to Steam, if you like.
"Again please note that you will only be eligible for a transfer if you purchased the game before it was on Steam, no exceptions, please don't insist."
Welp, guess I missed that.
You can just add it as a third party game.
This is only useful for letting people know you're playing.  It won't auto-update 3rd party games, and there's no Steam interface or achievements anyways.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6845 on: November 01, 2013, 12:30:30 pm »

Yes, steam will update kerbal space program automatically.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6846 on: November 01, 2013, 12:39:34 pm »

Yes, steam will update kerbal space program automatically.

But not while you're playing other games. Meanwhile!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #6847 on: November 01, 2013, 01:09:29 pm »

Well, my planned mission to Jool died a horrible FPS-related demise. Way too many parts once I got the landers and IPD up there. I'm setting up a new version using only one lander that will dock with a new IPD design that has a docking port at both ends to allow them to be connected end to end in a sort of space-train. Individually they can haul themselves 12km/s, hauling a mass equal to themselves they can push for 5km/s, and hauling a mass twice their weight, or three of them trained together, the one on the end can push the other two 3km/s, detach, and then the second one in line can give the first another shove equal to 5km/s. Hopefully that's enough to get any lander anywhere I want to go, and I can just launch more fuel out to it after the fact if it can't make the return trip.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6848 on: November 01, 2013, 01:13:05 pm »

I've learned you can rotate batteries and goo cans and a lot of stuff so they go inside the thing you have attached them to, make it significantly less likely they'll get knocked if they are battered around.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6849 on: November 01, 2013, 01:31:33 pm »

I've learned you can rotate batteries and goo cans and a lot of stuff so they go inside the thing you have attached them to, make it significantly less likely they'll get knocked if they are battered around.

You can also radially attach anything and set those inside things with the tiny box structure.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6850 on: November 01, 2013, 02:22:35 pm »

Now that we have an Astronaut Complex that keeps track of lost Kerbonauts, I wish we'd get a "memorial" screen a la XCOM.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6851 on: November 01, 2013, 04:31:18 pm »

Now that we have an Astronaut Complex that keeps track of lost Kerbonauts, I wish we'd get a "memorial" screen a la XCOM.
"Jebediah Kerman- Died flying Untitled Ship"
"Bill Kerman- Collided with Kerbin during EVA from Test1"
"Bob Kerman- Missing in action while flying Fuck I'm Out Of Fuel"
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6852 on: November 01, 2013, 04:33:33 pm »

And in the background would be Kerbals humming Taps. Which would be hilarious.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6853 on: November 01, 2013, 04:38:15 pm »

Would be better if all the pictures on the wall were an automatic screenshot from 1 frame before the moment of death.

Picture of a massive fireball on the launchpad?  Check.
Picture of an aircraft speeding into the water after the end of the runway after completely failing to get airborne?  Check.
Picture of a kerbal falling to earth with a number of conspicuous spiraling smoke trails in the background?  Check.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6854 on: November 01, 2013, 04:43:02 pm »

Wall of IVA photos 1 frame before death, list of causes with humorous epithets, and Kerbals humming taps (in their characteristic weird high-pitched voices) in the background.
Pages: 1 ... 455 456 [457] 458 459 ... 848