Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 445 446 [447] 448 449 ... 848

Author Topic: Kerbal Space Program: Now Hiring Optimistic Astronauts for Dangerous Munission  (Read 1489645 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

I figured out how the set target interface worked, and managed to get to the Mun using the lander / command module method, Docking and all. I am proud.

Unfortunately, the 300 sciences that I had gotten are all still on the lander part, which is still orbiting around the Mun, with not a drop of fuel since it was all transferred to the CM for the return trip.

Oh well. I never liked that seismic data anyway.
Get a Kerbal to the lander, push it with EVA. It may take a while but it will work.
If you're going to go through the effort to get a Kerbal to it, why not just dock with it and give it fuel?

That would work too, but only if he bothered to give it a docking port.

Note to self: give all space-active stages at least 1 docking port, in case they need refueling. No more missions scrapped after getting most of the way through!
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Canisaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Another reason why I like KAS.  You can remove and attach connector ports at will in EVA, so you can transfer fuel to whatever you want.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh my. I just found a Kerbal named "Gordon Kerman" in my applicants list. I think my next launch is going to have some unforseen consequences...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile

I figured out how the set target interface worked, and managed to get to the Mun using the lander / command module method, Docking and all. I am proud.

Unfortunately, the 300 sciences that I had gotten are all still on the lander part, which is still orbiting around the Mun, with not a drop of fuel since it was all transferred to the CM for the return trip.

Oh well. I never liked that seismic data anyway.
Get a Kerbal to the lander, push it with EVA. It may take a while but it will work.
If you're going to go through the effort to get a Kerbal to it, why not just dock with it and give it fuel?

That would work too, but only if he bothered to give it a docking port.

Note to self: give all space-active stages at least 1 docking port, in case they need refueling. No more missions scrapped after getting most of the way through!
Or if you're not averse to mods, use KAS. You can replace broken solar panels, add small RCS tanks and thrusters, bolt on command seats, add struts, and use pipes to transfer fuel between any two ships. You can really just send whatever fuel source you need, plus a little "service tech shuttle" - a single Kerbal pod with two small KAS containers attached, containing some pipes, struts, solar panels, and other miscellanea - to get whatever it is you've got broken back on the move.

edit: aand ninja'd.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Canisaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

...and use pipes to transfer fuel between any two ships.

I've been trying to figure out if when people say "pipes" with KAS they're just talking about the winch cable, or something else?  Because I've done fuel transfers by attaching a winch cable to a connector port in "docked" mode, but I haven't seen anything called a "pipe" in KAS besides the ground-based pipe attachment point.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Canisaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ohh, so the pipe attachment points themselves create the pipes?  I'll have to mess around with them.  Thanks.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You need to link them on EVA. Place two pipe attachments, right-click one and select "Link". You'll have a phantom green tube follow your kerbal around, turning red if it creases too much or exceeds the range. Select the other attachment point and select "Link" again, and you'll have both points linked.

This works between two different craft, however afterwards they both count as one craft, as if connected by a winch in docked mode. So having large ground bases connected by pipes might not work so well when loading terrain.

Canisaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, really it's just a solid version of a winch cable?  Since you can transfer fuel between two vehicles "docked" via winch -> connector port.

BigFatStupidHead

• Bay Watcher
  • obscure to the point of being cryptic
    • View Profile

HOW?!

Every time I try to make a plane, I get it to lift off, and then it starts fluttering in the wind like a leaf, completely uncontrollable. I have the center of lift matched up with the center of mass, added a zillion control surfaces in all possible directions, and it still flies like shit.
Here is an excellent little comic on how to design KSP aircraft. Aircraft do not need to be complicated; I have a excellent little flier that has only fifteen parts, only two of which are control surfaces.

Other little tidbits about aircraft that I've confirmed:
Ram intakes have higher airflow, but max out drag their drag sooner than radials.
Always add the engines after intakes, even if you just pull them off and put them back on afterwards. This is because the order parts are placed is also the order in which they are processed during each physics tick.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 03:23:54 pm by BigFatStupidHead »

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Scott Manley put out a video recently explaining KSP aerodynamics rather well!

It's pretty simple. Keep your lift behind your center of mass, tilt your wings down at a small angle if you want it to automatically level out, add a tail-fin to the top for more control, and add control surfaces to the wings and tail-fin.

And turn off your capsule torque.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile

Pfft. Real Kerbals just fly horizontally/diagonally with rockets.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Guys.

Guys.

Who wants to play some god damn multiplayer KSP?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 03:48:51 pm by GlyphGryph »

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Trick my friend who's actually good at this game into doing all the hard stuff for me?
all of my yes.

On a more serious note, tough. We need a bay 12 KSP server now. If anyone can host it, that is. I can imagine this taking a badass computer to host.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So who wants to do this right now? All Bay12 people, let's just do a server!
Pages: 1 ... 445 446 [447] 448 449 ... 848